Hate My Date's Accent Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I went on a date today and I won't lie, I absolutely hate his accent. It sounds mean, but I genuinely cannot listen to it. It's a really posh accent, he sounds like he should be working in the government, which, speaking of, he went on a long rant about politics whilst I blankly stared at him trying not to nervously laugh. And he mentioned his ex.
He seems like a pretty cool dude but the accent throws me off so bad. I'm a northerner, he's very posh. Like, so frickin P O S H. I can't stand it and I feel bad. He seems like a genuine nice, friendly guy.
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I wonder what he’s saying about your accent.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As a northerner from Edinburgh, I'm surprised at your suggestion that northerners can't sound posh.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DrSocSciences)
I wonder what he’s saying about your accent.
tbh he's surrounded by people who sound just like me. He sounds just like someone who stalked me too, which probably doesn't help.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Quick-use)
As a northerner from Edinburgh, I'm surprised at your suggestion that northerners can't sound posh.
hahahaha true lol. He's got a posh southern accent, as opposed to a posh northern one. It really goes through me and I feel bad about it
Linnielizzie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Don’t date him then? If you can’t stand it and it’s mostly what you think about him. You should either learn to accept it cause you’ll probably get used to it or just not date him...
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It doesn't sound like he is right for you...
I AM GROOT 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
:bored:
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
go to one of the estates in London, find a roadman and date them. They won't have the posh accents you are looking for.
Precious Illusions
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you don't like his accent don't date him. SIMPLES. Accent can certainly play a role in attraction.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
What is wrong with a posh accent? As long as he is not trying to 'put it on', it is entirely....well.... a little petulant that you hate it, really. Accents are accents, just they way people talk. As long as you can understand someone and they have a nice VOICE, it should be fine. I cannot stand accents which come across forced, but a posh accent shouldn't really be repulsive. Anyways, meh...
SMEGGGY
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Love posh accents grrr
DR.DOOM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
OP, I have something to share from you from a book I've been reading recently. During the rule of Julius Caesar he had appointed Brutus the younger as a praetorship in the Roman senate. Climbing the ranks, Brutus was almost going to be the next ruler of Rome after Ceaser's death, however, one man who failed to gain praetorship, the brooding Gaius Cassius Longinus, despised Julius Caesar and was seen talking behind Ceaser's back all the time. Eventually, Cassius views and hatred of Julius Caesar caught the attention of Brutus and the two bonded together over their hatred of Caesar. Brutus and Cassius would eventually Assassinate Julius Caesar in hopes of gaining power but this never happened. In the end, it ended with Rome at civil war and Cassius committing suicide with the blade that he used to kill Caesar and Brutus also killing himself.

The piece of history is an explanation that when people talk about their past and argue about politics all the time, they bring any negative vibes around you, they are going to bring you down. You don't dislike him because he is "posh", you dislike him because of his negativity which will destroy you in the end. Leave him

This isn't to say people who talk about politics will bring negativity, I'm mainly referring to those who are pessimistic and will negatively talk about politics all the time, 24/7
Last edited by DR.DOOM; 1 week ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
What is wrong with a posh accent? As long as he is not trying to 'put it on', it is entirely....well.... a little petulant that you hate it, really. Accents are accents, just they way people talk. As long as you can understand someone and they have a nice VOICE, it should be fine. I cannot stand accents which come across forced, but a posh accent shouldn't really be repulsive. Anyways, meh...
He's from Leicester which is like... in the midlands? He said he forced himself to listen to Steven Fry and that's why he has the accent. It's very strange. I can't help but find his voice a complete turn off. I feel bad about it, but that's how it is :/
CTLeafez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If the only think you don’t like about him is his accent and it’s a deal breaker then maybe you’re just being a tad shallow?

Might be a bit of a culture shock at the moment but surely you’d get used to the accent?
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
He's from Leicester which is like... in the midlands? He said he forced himself to listen to Steven Fry and that's why he has the accent. It's very strange. I can't help but find his voice a complete turn off. I feel bad about it, but that's how it is :/
Ew If there is one thing I cannot stand, it is people putting on strong posh accents. Ewww cringe.
A man being himself is far more attractive than a man pretending to be something he is not, conforming to 'fit' in. Now not so surprised u didn't enjoy the date.
IH8Studying
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
nah i completely get you

his accent probably sounds so forced!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.21%
No (215)
76.79%

Watched Threads