How to apologise to my ex Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Meeting my ex today and baby for the first time. I was stupid and said I didn't want to be involved and I broke up with her before she gave birth.

What should I do to apologise to her and baby?
williamho
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Saying 'sorry' is a start
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by williamho)
Saying 'sorry' is a start
I already have but she doesn't forgive me
Welshvisitor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
It’s not your right to be forgiven and don’t expect that to happen today or anything soon. You’ve a lot of making up to do, Expect to work hard at that and understand that’s your responsibility to be a quality and consistent father in your child’s life. Be humble and accept your faults when raised. This a marathon, not a sprint.
Surnia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Welshvisitor)
It’s not your right to be forgiven and don’t expect that to happen today or anything soon. You’ve a lot of making up to do, Expect to work hard at that and understand that’s your responsibility to be a quality and consistent father in your child’s life. Be humble and accept your faults when raised. This a marathon, not a sprint.
^^ This. Communicate properly with your ex, even if it's over a number of meetings: talk, listen, ask questions. You have a child together and you need to show some maturity by discussing involvement in the parenting, like finances, babysitting, what happens with new partners on the scene etc, and stick to it, so long as it is reasonable. Actions speak louder than words, so show you are sorry rather than just say it.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Your actions will probably speak louder than your words and apologies.
You need to show her that you have changed and are determined to be a reliable, good father.

Setup a monthly financial arrangement to support your child- either paid into your ex's bank account or a bank account in the name of your child that she can access.
Arrange a set day when you see your child and always turn up for visits- either with her present or at a family contact centre.
Ask her if there is anything that she thinks will make her life easier; babysitting, a weekly online shopping delivery of baby items or anything else.
Above all be willing to listen to her- advice, requests for help, complaints, angry outbursts and updates about your child.
That way your child will grow up knowing that you did your best to ensure that you and your ex communicated like reasonable adults.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (110)
17.74%
It's just nice to be back! (167)
26.94%
Not great so far... (224)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (119)
19.19%

Watched Threads