Computer science... what’s my course work?? [Private Candidate]

Watch this thread
AllThings_
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello,

Just paid for my GCSE resits, private candidate; I know what my subjects are and what has to be revised.

The college I’m doing my private candidate in is a bit odd, they asked me to complete my course work at home, which is odd due to the fact most colleges and schools I’ve spoken to says that you need to complete the course work under a teachers supervision to ensure no cheating is taking place....

I asked them what my course work would be, they said I’d have to find out my self. (Very helpful) and that they’d only mark it for me?

I’m doing AQA Computer science course work, I have two questions;

Will this count towards my GCSE grade?

How do I find out what my course work is? I’m guessing the AQA website, however I’ve yet to find anything!

Thank you,
username2998742
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Moved to GCSEs for you buddy
jjedu
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Honestly mate i think its the same coursework as last years. It's not marked at all and doesn't count toward your grade at all.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Is this a re-sit or are you taking Computer Science for the first time?

If you look at this list you'll see Computer Science isn't on the list of subjects for private candidates and if you look at this https://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/libra...NTRY-CODES.PDF Page 86 says GCSE Computer Science is not available to private candidates.

The NEA doesn't affect the grade you get in the GCSE but it has to be done and done under the specified conditions. If you took GCSE Comp SCi last year then you wouldn't have to do the NEA again but you can't do it now from scratch.
jjedu
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Compost)
Is this a re-sit or are you taking Computer Science for the first time?

If you look at this list you'll see Computer Science isn't on the list of subjects for private candidates and if you look at this https://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/libra...NTRY-CODES.PDF Page 86 says GCSE Computer Science is not available to private candidates.

The NEA doesn't affect the grade you get in the GCSE but it has to be done and done under the specified conditions. If you took GCSE Comp SCi last year then you wouldn't have to do the NEA again but you can't do it now from scratch.
I am resitting computer science this year ? what does this mean for me ? im not enrolled in any classes
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jjedu)
I am resitting computer science this year ? what does this mean for me ? im not enrolled in any classes
In that case you don't need to do the NEA at all -you can carry forward the fact that you did it last year. The centre will have to enter you as a centre candidate rather than an external one but you should still be able to take the GCSE. Just work for the exams.
Olracuk
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jjedu)
Im sat in class doing the NEA right now, its completely useless and counts towards 0% of your grade. i dont believe it will affect your overall grade, i mean for the new year 9s they're scrapping the project
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (19)
23.75%
The paper was reasonable (35)
43.75%
Not feeling great about that exam... (18)
22.5%
It was TERRIBLE (8)
10%

Watched Threads