helpwithstuff
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi

Got a daughter who wants to do a Dance degree (full degree).

So far we've done a couple of open days. She's drafted a generic personal statement and it's gone to one of the sixth form teachers for initial review. It's what we need to do next that we're struggling with and if we don't do it right, she could miss out or as they pick people and offer them places pretty quickly, that could mean getting an audition but finding it's for the reserve applicants - they only get in if other people don't accept their place kind of thing. So with the following steps, when should she be doing them and in what order should she do them? This process with having the sixth form send the personal statement round the houses has really muddied the waters as in any case, for each application due to the differing focuses of each course, she'll have to write an individual statement for this - is it really up to the sixth form to 'control' these personal statements???:

- Complete UCAS / Conservatoire applications
- Book auditions
- Do some open days to get a feel for where you want to go
- Submit personal statement (along with the application??)
- Attend auditions.

We're both really confused about the steps we need to take and in what order. We are told that she should be applying for auditions now with a view to them happening in December. We are told that her personal statement has next to go to the Deputy Head and then somewhere else which is advised can week several weeks (so we're unsure how that fits in with applying/booking auditions). We know that she needs to complete UCAS forms/Conservatoire forms to apply and pay various fees for applications and in some cases for auditions.

On top of this I'm not sure how the following works: If you apply for say 5 UCAS and 2 Conservatoires do you (following auditions) just wait for the one to come back to you that you've decided is the one you really want, do they all come back at the same time, are you pressured to take a place or lose it but then you're not sure whether you should chance it and take that place instead of the place you really want in case you don't get in there? There's also the added complexity of potentially being called back for second auditions - what I can't figure out is how you manage that and how the timeline for that works out and what the timings of it all is.

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful.
2childmum!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
With UCAS you wait until you have all 5 offers/rejections before making a choice. I think the Conservatoire applications work the same way.

Can you book auditions before submitting your UCAS form? Also the personal statement makes up part of the UCAS application

Usually you visit open days to decide which places to put on your UCAS application form before submitting it.

Do the unis have guidance about booking auditions?
2childmum!
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Also - you only write one personal statement for the UCAS form (and one for the conservatoire application) unless the uni in questions has a separate form alongside the UCAS one - you would need to check this. As far as I am aware the only uni which allows you to submit a separate PS is Durham
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is she applying for Conservatoire courses : https://www.ucas.com/ucas-conservato...pply-and-track
These have a different process to 'normal' degree courses because of the need for an audition if they are interested in her application.
Stardust01
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
My daughter auditioned for various schools /conservatoires (musical theatre) and it is very different for each place and unless you are in a dance/drama school not alot of support/knowledge is found x I found the site notapushymum.com very helpful. We applied with ucas and booked auditions first. Goodluck x
welcometotherock
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
My husband sits on the audition panel for a performing arts degree and has taught at other places.

Most vocational dance/MT courses will offer an audition to everyone who applies who looks like they will meet the basic academic entry criteria. Some places will look at the PS, others won’t.

At my husband’s place as long as you apply by January you’re OK as degree auditions start mid January (they start diploma auditions in November). Some colleges do start auditions early. When my dd was applying for diploma she preferred to get most of hers out of the way in Nov - Feb before exams started.

6th forms are probably concentrating at the moment on Early Entry applications (eg Oxbridge applications) as their forms have to be in by 15th Oct, also music conservatoire applications had to be in by 1st October. These students would have pretty much gone back to school in September knowing pretty much where they were applying and would have filled in their UCAS CUKAS forms by mid September. I’ve got friends whose kids submitted their form the first week back at school/college in September.

If your dd is applying for somewhere where she’d like an early audition date then she needs to inform school that it needs to be treated as an early entry.
welcometotherock
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
And no, it isn’t up to the school to control personal statements but most good schools will offer to proof read/advise on content as they know the pitfalls.

Apart from Durham (who love extra curricular and leadership positions) everywhere else wants the PS to show why an applicant is suitable for the course and to demonstrate how they’ve gone above and beyond the normal school curriculum (super curricular). Of course with Perf Arts courses there’s a lot of overlap between extra and super curricular)!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (19)
7.09%
They might tell the bully (27)
10.07%
I don't think they'd understand (44)
16.42%
It might lead to more bullying (99)
36.94%
There's nothing they could do (79)
29.48%

Watched Threads