The Student Room Group

Raf medically unfit

I had my medical today and been deemed medically unfit and they need more info off my off my gp due to bells palsy I had bout 6 to 8 months ago am i likely to be turned down and how will it take to hear back thanks Jameel if you have any questions about the medical just ask below
Reply 1
Original post by Jm11182
I had my medical today and been deemed medically unfit and they need more info off my off my gp due to bells palsy I had bout 6 to 8 months ago am i likely to be turned down and how will it take to hear back thanks Jameel if you have any questions about the medical just ask below

It is not unusual to be declared Temporarily Medically Unfit whilst the doctors investigate an issue further. The doctors, whether Capita or OASC, have policy and limits about what is acceptable and what isn’t. If your medical history has presented something that causes concern and doesn’t quite provide enough evidence on its own to make a firm decision then they will declare you TMU awaiting further investigation. Provide the extra information that they want and see how it plays out. Unfortunately, I can’t tell if you will be successful or how long it might take. If it’s a Capita doctor request then just keep chasing it. If it’s an OASC doctor they will not delay a decision once the information has been submitted. Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by Jm11182

I was declared Temporally medically unfit when I went for my medicals in February due to a high BP and BMI. The Dr told me he could see I was very muscular (use to do a lot of weight training) and that was affecting my BMI because I am quite short. I was very upset about this but I was determined to pass so I had to comply with the Letter they sent my GP asking me to do some more tests about my BP and lose about 4 stone. I stopped all my weight training and focussed on cardio and treadmills. By June I lost 3.5 stone and had passed the BP tests with my GP. I just passed my fitness test 3 weeks ago and waiting for my OASC date. From my experience I will say get in touch with your GP immediately and make sure they write back to Capita with all the information they asked for. You will have to take a proactive step here and make sure you constantly call the Medical team to ask if they have received correspondence from your GP.
Reply 3
Original post by bimlozy
I was declared Temporally medically unfit when I went for my medicals in February due to a high BP and BMI. The Dr told me he could see I was very muscular (use to do a lot of weight training) and that was affecting my BMI because I am quite short. I was very upset about this but I was determined to pass so I had to comply with the Letter they sent my GP asking me to do some more tests about my BP and lose about 4 stone. I stopped all my weight training and focussed on cardio and treadmills. By June I lost 3.5 stone and had passed the BP tests with my GP. I just passed my fitness test 3 weeks ago and waiting for my OASC date. From my experience I will say get in touch with your GP immediately and make sure they write back to Capita with all the information they asked for. You will have to take a proactive step here and make sure you constantly call the Medical team to ask if they have received correspondence from your GP.

Im going to call my gp next Thursday (week after my medical just to make sure they actually receive the letter) and ask them to release the info how long do you think they will get back to me as im very eager also every thing else was fine after a few attempts at the bmp thanks in advance
Reply 4
Original post by Jm11182
Im going to call my gp next Thursday (week after my medical just to make sure they actually receive the letter) and ask them to release the info how long do you think they will get back to me as im very eager also every thing else was fine after a few attempts at the bmp thanks in advance

They will email you a copy of the letter as well. I received my copy via email after 3 days. I printed that letter and went to my GP with it to discuss the tests they wanted me to do. The BP tests were done over a period of 2 weeks, but it took me 4 months to lose my weight. During that period I constantly called my AFCO and the medical team to inform them of my progress and what I was doing. If you don't keep in touch they will send you a message saying your application will be closed. When I achieved the weight they asked me to reduce to, I went back to see my GP to confirm and ask them to write to Capita confirming that I passed my BP tests and had achieved the requested weight. I then called the Medical booking Team to ask if they had received the letter from my GP and to book another medical (called a limited medical) so Capita could check my new weight and BMI. The second medical took less than 5 minutes because they just had to check my weight. I was then declared medically fit the next day. All the best, just keep in touch with your AFCO / medical team and you will be fine.
Reply 5
Original post by Jm11182

No-one can say how long it will take. It's on a case-by-case basis and depends on how many other reviews are going before the medical board.
Reply 6
Original post by bimlozy
They will email you a copy of the letter as well. I received my copy via email after 3 days. I printed that letter and went to my GP with it to discuss the tests they wanted me to do. The BP tests were done over a period of 2 weeks, but it took me 4 months to lose my weight. During that period I constantly called my AFCO and the medical team to inform them of my progress and what I was doing. If you don't keep in touch they will send you a message saying your application will be closed. When I achieved the weight they asked me to reduce to, I went back to see my GP to confirm and ask them to write to Capita confirming that I passed my BP tests and had achieved the requested weight. I then called the Medical booking Team to ask if they had received the letter from my GP and to book another medical (called a limited medical) so Capita could check my new weight and BMI. The second medical took less than 5 minutes because they just had to check my weight. I was then declared medically fit the next day. All the best, just keep in touch with your AFCO / medical team and you will be fine.

Original post by Jm11182

Update my gp didnt receive the letter from capita however I handed it in myself and just waiting for my gp to complete it ,if you have any questions ask!

Quick Reply

Latest