The Student Room Group

A level considerations

Hello
Read a lot of articles about choices and believe I have no definite concrete career path at present:
- Modern Language a definite (like it, good at it and a choice I’m happy with)
- Considering Psychology (interesting topics)
- Science (to give me options - possibly Physics)

Physics A level without maths. An issue. Likely to get a 7 at GCSE but not one of strongest subjects hence not doing A level and didn’t really feel passion to do this.

Other interests - Design and good creative visual expression. Did consider something design related e.g Prod Design

General thoughts
Original post by Therp
Hello
Read a lot of articles about choices and believe I have no definite concrete career path at present:

Physics A level without maths. An issue. Likely to get a 7 at GCSE but not one of strongest subjects hence not doing A level and didn’t really feel passion to do this.

Other interests - Design and good creative visual expression. Did consider something design related e.g Prod Design

General thoughts

I would put some different combinations into this: https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer

That will help you see where different choices might lead.
The major issue of taking physics without maths isn't that it makes A-level Physics difficult (A-level Maths isn't required for A-level Physics), but because (almost) any degree requiring A-level Physics will also require A-level Mathematics. Degree level physics (or engineering) is necessarily mathematical and will use content from A-level Maths and beyond fluently - if you wouldn't want to be doing this kind of maths on a daily basis, then those courses aren't going to be a good fit for you. If that is the case, then A-level Physics doesn't really add anything for you.

I would note virtually every STEM degree subject is available somewhere with a foundation year, which allows students who didn't take the requisite science/maths subjects in 6th form to undertake those degrees. Some examples of universities with a foundation year for their STEM courses include Southampton, Durham, Loughborough and Manchester.

Perhaps think less about the specific content of the subjects for now, and focus on how you like to work - do you like writing essays, solving mathematical problems, working with graphs, data, and statistics, or undertaking and writing up laboratory experiments, etc. This might help you narrow down to a range of subjects that suit your approaches to studying, and then you can look at the topics in those subjects and see which interest you. This might also help you identify a subject that is new to you which you hadn't considered before, that you actually would enjoy studying!
Reply 3
Original post by Therp
Hello

General thoughts

It depends what field you want to go into, and even before that, what you want to study at university. If whichever modern language you choose is what you’re most enthusiastic about, it’s a very good choice, and would be a good option for a university degree. When taking science A-levels, it’s generally better (though this isn’t always the case) to take 2 sciences, which includes biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, economics and computer science. If this isn’t a field that you want to go into, then perhaps a language, psychology and a design subject would be a good combination. However, it depends on both what you enjoy, and what type of degree/career you eventually want to go into,

Quick Reply

Latest