shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
World Mental Health Day - 2019
Busting the myths on suicide and self-harm

Stating the Facts:
  • Fact: Over 200 school children are lost to suicide in the UK every year.
  • Fact: In the UK, men are three times more likely to die by suicide than women.
  • Fact: Men aged 45-49 have the highest rates of suicide in the UK, and the rate for this group increased in 2019. In the Republic of Ireland, the highest rate is among men aged 55-65.
  • Fact: Self-harm has been increasing among young people over the last 15 years, with 25.7% of females and 9.7% of males aged 16 - 24 reporting that they have self-harmed at some point in their lives.

Busting the Myths:
  • Myth: People who self-harm want to take their own lives - for some, this may be true, but others may self harm for prolonged periods of time without ever having suicidal thoughts; for many it's a coping mechanism for dealing with emotional pain.
  • Myth: Self harm or suicidal thoughts are 'just a phase' - some people may only self harm once, or for a short period of time, whilst for others it may span for many years. Whatever the time frame, telling someone this will only cause harm, and isn't an accurate way to describe their situation.
  • Myth: People are just self harming to get attention - for many people they will have, and act on, these thoughts in private, without anyone else being aware, and go to great lengths to cover it up. More importantly, if it is a cry for help or attention, then we should be helping these people rather than dismissing them.

Please feel free to share some of the myths you've encountered around both self-harm, and suicide, and facts you've learned about the topics.

Quick reminder of the rules:
  • Please don't talk about current self harm or suicidal thoughts
  • For other triggering topics, spoiler them as follows:
Spoiler:
Show

TW: {potential cause for trigger}
[spoiler]~~TRIGGERING CONTENT~~[/spoiler]

• Use the report function as normal
  • No discriminatory content
  • For any issues make a thread in AtCT
Last edited by shadowdweller; 1 week ago
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Are you, or someone you know, struggling with self-harm or suicidal thoughts?
You can get help from the support lines below:

Papyrus Prevention of Young Suicide - Young people, suicidal thoughts
Tel: 0800 068 41 41
SMS: 07786 209697
Email: [email protected]

MIND - Anybody, mental health
Tel: 0300 123 3393
SMS: 86463
Email: [email protected]

CALM Campaign Against Living Miserably - Men aged 15-35, anything
Tel: 0800 58 58 58
Webchat: https://www.thecalmzone.net/help/webchat/

Samaritans- Anybody, anything
Phone, email and post services.
https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-ca...you/contact-us
116 123
[email protected]
1st superstar
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)

Stating the Facts:
  • Fact: In the UK, men are three times more likely to die by suicide than women.
  • Fact: Men aged 45-49 have the highest rates of suicide in the UK, and the rate for this group increased in 2019. In the Republic of Ireland, the highest rate is among men aged 55-65.
  • Fact: Self-harm has been increasing among young people over the last 15 years, with 25.7% of females and 9.7% of males aged 16 - 24 reporting that they have self-harmed at some point in their lives.

Busting the Myths:
  • Myth: People who self-harm want to take their own lives - for some, this may be true, but others may self harm for prolonged periods of time without ever having suicidal thoughts; for many it's a coping mechanism for dealing with emotional pain.
  • Myth: Self harm or suicidal thoughts are 'just a phase' - some people may only self harm once, or for a short period of time, whilst for others it may span for many years. Whatever the time frame, telling someone this will only cause harm, and isn't an accurate way to describe their situation.
  • Myth: People are just self harming to get attention - for many people they will have, and act on, these thoughts in private, without anyone else being aware, and go to great lengths to cover it up. More importantly, if it is a cry for help or attention, then we should be helping these people rather than dismissing them.

Please feel free to share some of the myths you've encountered around both self-harm, and suicide, and facts you've learned about the topics.

Spoiler:
Show

tbh I think that this caused by school,bullying and people being obsessed with social media etc (at least that's my opinion as to why there are 10-40 year old committing suicide)
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
I'm not sure whether this is a triggering topic, so feel free to spoiler. For me, the biggest myth has to be that men don't get eating disorders/that eating disorders are a problem which affect women only. As a guy who has suffered from various eating disorders for two/three years now, I cannot tell you how invalidating it is to see a lot of self-help CBT geared towards women with no resources for men and for people to still think of eating disorders as something which affect only women.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm not sure whether this is a triggering topic, so feel free to spoiler. For me, the biggest myth has to be that men don't get eating disorders/that eating disorders are a problem which affect women only. As a guy who has suffered from various eating disorders for two/three years now, I cannot tell you how invalidating it is to see a lot of self-help CBT geared towards women with no resources for men and for people to still think of eating disorders as something which affect only women.
This makes me angry as well. I know a lot of guys with EDs and they tend to get little to no help because of this stereotype. Some have lost their battle though. Which makes it worse. You're welcome to PM if you want. I have AN (I'm female though).
angelike1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't know if it's a common myth but some people may underestimate how difficult it is for people with MH issues to find help. People with MH issues are sometimes scared to talk to people due to the social stigma, yet they still want to be free.

When they can't turn to anyone they may try to find solutions online, since it doesn't impede on their desire to keep things confidential.

But.... I feel as though there isn't enough help online especially for young adults in this situation (speaking from experience).
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Pathway)
This makes me angry as well. I know a lot of guys with EDs and they tend to get little to no help because of this stereotype. Some have lost their battle though. Which makes it worse. You're welcome to PM if you want. I have AN (I'm female though).
I've had anorexia, then moved onto bulimia, partially back to anorexia with orthorexic tendencies, then bulimia, now trying to recover from bulimia, but essentially I'm moving back into anorexia again (albeit temporarily to stop my bulimic tendencies). My view is that we're all on a journey to recovery, male, female, or any other gender, but that resources should be non-gender specific. The amount of times I feel invalidated with this is ridiculous.
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've had anorexia, then moved onto bulimia, partially back to anorexia with orthorexic tendencies, then bulimia, now trying to recover from bulimia, but essentially I'm moving back into anorexia again (albeit temporarily to stop my bulimic tendencies). My view is that we're all on a journey to recovery, male, female, or any other gender, but that resources should be non-gender specific. The amount of times I feel invalidated with this is ridiculous.
I agree. But yeah, if you want support, I'll try to help.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Pathway)
I agree. But yeah, if you want support, I'll try to help.
Thanks - I really appreciate that and will bear your offer in mind. Here's my thread which details my attempt at recovery: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5983560
SlasherHacks13
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)

Stating the Facts:

Busting the Myths:

Spoiler:
Show

*sigh* I think I’m suffering from depression. I’m not inclined to eat my favorite foods, I feel bitter all the time... and no, I can’t and won’t tell my parents because they’ll brush it aside and move on to their problems. Yes, I’ve had self-harm and suicidal thoughts but support lines... for one, I don’t have a personal phone, two I don’t live in the uk. :/ Oh yeah and anyway my parents don’t know much about mental stuff
Last edited by SlasherHacks13; 1 week ago
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
PAST SELF HARM TW:
Spoiler:
Show

It irritates me when people think that a) self harm is for attention when in actuality it's a pretty secret activity and b) people who expose their old scars wants attention, like no I'm just boiling and sweating profusely
SlasherHacks13
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
PAST SELF HARM TW:
Spoiler:
Show

It irritates me when people think that a) self harm is for attention when in actuality it's a pretty secret activity and b) people who expose their old scars wants attention, like no I'm just boiling and sweating profusely
Me too (abt the spoiler) I’ve self harmed and it was in the privacy of my room and anyway my scars I pretty much hide
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SlasherHacks13)
Me too (abt the spoiler) I’ve self harmed and it was in the privacy of my room and anyway my scars I pretty much hide
:hugs:
Yeh same, i tend to hide my old scars as despite being more than a year old they are pretty noticeable, after 2 and a bit years of shared living I've given up trying to cover them in the house at least as I like to wear shorts at home as I get hot easily
:hugs: hope you are doing better now, know how hard it can be
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That there is always an obvious extrinsic factor that causes these things
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
(Original post by SlasherHacks13)
*sigh* I think I’m suffering from depression. I’m not inclined to eat my favorite foods, I feel bitter all the time... and no, I can’t and won’t tell my parents because they’ll brush it aside and move on to their problems. Yes, I’ve had self-harm and suicidal thoughts but support lines... for one, I don’t have a personal phone, two I don’t live in the uk. :/ Oh yeah and anyway my parents don’t know much about mental stuff
Are you able to go to the GP without involving your parents, if you haven't already? They might be able to offer support, or refer you onto someone who can
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
PAST SELF HARM TW:
Spoiler:
Show

So true! It also really frustrates me if someone was doing it for attention, that that would be an inherently negative thing - I don't understand why people can't just be supportive instead of judgmental!
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
That there is always an obvious extrinsic factor that causes these things
Very true! Another related misconception is that someone suicidal/self-harming must have a MH issue too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (35)
25.18%
No (104)
74.82%

Watched Threads