The Student Room Group

What do you wish you'd known before starting uni and in your first semester?

I really regret not doing a year abroad / erasmus year, and I've missed my chance now, but i just had no idea I had to apply and get everything sorted by Christmas in my first year.

Also, I was just SO shy in first year, I found first semester really difficult. I kind of wish it was compulsory to join a society or something like that. Particularly because my course - English - doesn't really have any team work etc.

What do you wish you had known in that first year? is there anything that you think would have helped you settle in more too?
Original post by llksg90
I really regret not doing a year abroad / erasmus year, and I've missed my chance now, but i just had no idea I had to apply and get everything sorted by Christmas in my first year.

Also, I was just SO shy in first year, I found first semester really difficult. I kind of wish it was compulsory to join a society or something like that. Particularly because my course - English - doesn't really have any team work etc.

What do you wish you had known in that first year? is there anything that you think would have helped you settle in more too?

Hi @llksg90

What a great idea for a conversion. This can really benefit prospective and current students.

One of my biggest regrets from university was that I lost focus by the end of the third year and didn't get my first-class dissertation. Although my grades were good enough to get the first-class degree, I wish I had paced myself better in the third year as I was burnt out by the end.

I also wish I had studied abroad but at the time thought it would be too expensive. Now that I work for a university and am aware of all the extra funding opportunities that are available, I wish I could take that opportunity.

Excellent idea

Dom :h:
Original post by llksg90

How quick it goes, whilst school is fun (apart from A-levels...) it seems to take forever whilst your there. Then you go to uni & before you know it your out the other side and have mates getting engaged, looking at houses etc. the real world comes fast.

Dont waste any opportunity, trips, nights out, sports teams, societies. Get involved from day 1.

Quick Reply

Latest