Are seminars compulsory to attend? Watch

s817
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I had my first seminar at uni for an MA and it was rubbish, a waste of time. It was 2 hours long when it was only supposed to be an hour . It was just a presentation by tutors on a topic that won't help me at all and we had to have a discussion about it as a whole masters programme but I didn't participate.I could have spent that time on coursework. I don't want to go through all that again, is it compulsory? I don't think it was because usually the tutors hand out a register for us to sign into but for the seminar they didn't so I'm hoping seminars are optional.
Last edited by s817; 1 week ago
OR321
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
In my uni they have a scan register for literally everything but I still do miss one or two coz they really are pointless and everything’s online
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They are not usually optional
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by s817)
I had my first seminar at uni for an MA and it was rubbish, a waste of time. It was 2 hours long. It was just a presentation by tutors on a topic that won't help me at all and we had to have a discussion about it as a whole masters programme but I didn't participate.I could have spent that time on coursework. I don't want to go through all that again, is it compulsory? I don't think it was because usually the tutors hand out a register for us to sign into but for the seminar they didn't so I'm hoping seminars are optional.
Look for your university's attendance policy. Usually you'd be expected to go to all seminars - if you aren't sure, email your lecturer/tutor to ask.
chaotic1328
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There were no lectures in my MA, and that all, or nearly all, of the teaching are via small group seminars. If your MA has a similar structure, then I would guess that they (the seminars) should be 'compulsory'. I put compulsory in inverted commas because I do not believe that attendance should be compulsory in higher education, much less so in postgraduate degrees. You are supposed to be at a stage where you can prioritise your time to gain the best (for you) educational outcome.
Grizwuld
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Rubbish lecturers? Who'd have thought it?

Why don't they have to get a qualification in public speaking?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.29%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.92%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.79%

Watched Threads