The Student Room Group

Help on improving paper 1 question 2

Hello,

I am retaking my English Language GCSE after failing my Y11 exam. I am entered for the November 2019 retakes and I require some assistance on improving my PAPER 1 QUESTION 2 answers. For reference, I am aiming for a level 7-9. This may seem "ambitious" considering I failed just shy of 4 months ago but I think I am capable of achieving a good level with a lot of revision. I have provided some answers to PAPER 1 QUESTION 2 that I have previously produced. Any input from teachers/students/english experts are highly appreciated.

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2018/june/AQA-87001-QP-JUN18.PDF

Q2

The author describes books in a way that makes them sound wild. The author describes stories using the simile“which ran like gazelles”, this simile conveys how wild and extravagant books were to him. This creates the idea that books are wild, fast and graceful much like the “gazelle” in which the author compares books too.It’s almost as if the writer is trying to compare books to something as chaotic and beautiful as nature.

The author also utilizes metaphors in order to exaggerate how Mr Fisher feels about books. The author describes how Mr Fisher had seen “whole classes swept away in fever”. This metaphor is engineered to amplify Mr Fishers feelings towards books and creates the image that books are almost like a plague that, when heard can produce the same effect on a group of people.

http://www.manchesterhealthacademy.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Lang-P1-Creative-Reading-and-Writing.pdf

Q2

In the extract, the author describes the effects of weather in a very frightening manor. The author describes how the weather made the coach begin to “tremble” and “sway” using the simile “like a drunken man” to further explain how the coach was moving due to the weather. The use of this simile implies that the passengers themselves may feel “drunken” or ill as a result of the harsh weather and violent movements of the coach.

The author also uses extremely long and detailed sentences to reflect the effects of the weather on the driver. The authors use of complex sentence structures implies that the effects of the weather are also long and very inescapable. You could argue that sentences are long to reflect how slow the coach is moving due to the harsh and violent weather.
Hi there, I'm in y11 and I just got a 9 in my language mock so perhaps I can help? I'd suggest writing 3 paragraphs if you don't find yourself running out of time (q2 should be 8-10 mins). Secondly, trying single word analysis and focusing on the connotations of words and the reader response could really help you to get the top marks. These seem great though and all I think if you haven't got seven or eight marks from these is the extra point to show that you fully understand the variety of ways in which something can be presented in such a short extract. I apologise if this sounds at all bossy/patronising because I often come across that way
Reply 2
Original post by l.glanville04
Hi there, I'm in y11 and I just got a 9 in my language mock so perhaps I can help? I'd suggest writing 3 paragraphs if you don't find yourself running out of time (q2 should be 8-10 mins). Secondly, trying single word analysis and focusing on the connotations of words and the reader response could really help you to get the top marks. These seem great though and all I think if you haven't got seven or eight marks from these is the extra point to show that you fully understand the variety of ways in which something can be presented in such a short extract. I apologise if this sounds at all bossy/patronising because I often come across that way

Haha no pal not at all. Any input is golden, cheers for the help I will work on those points you mentioned. Good luck in June!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending