The Student Room Group

A Level English Lit

Hiya,
I’m stuck on whether to do English literature for a level! I’m not that bad at it at gcse however I do find it boring at times. I know that it is a big jump from gcse to a level and so I’m not sure.
Any comments would be appreciated! :smile:
i got a 9 at GCSE but a D at a-level because i didn't enjoy it at all.
it is a huge jump but the problem with english is it's so subjective. some of my teachers read my exam back and said i deserved much more marks. also the grade boundaries are very narrow. (i was 5 marks from a C & 15 from a B) so make the decision wisely.

imo i would not pick it again, in the end the only reason i did do badly was one question on minor characters :/. it's just so easy for it to all go wrong and for you to not enjoy it if you get bad texts but ultimately it's up to you. it is a respectable a-level but you'd need a lot of work in both essay writing, quotes, context, wider reading, coursework etc.
Reply 2
If you don’t enjoy reading and finding the deeper links between texts it might not be the A level for you. I’ve loved doing it and 20% of mine is coursework so a bit of pressure off the exam, but then again I’ve probably been lucky with texts I acc like and good teachers aswell. I agree with @cheerleader it’s very subjective. I guess it depends what other alevels you’d do instead, you could probably still do well at English lit if you don’t love it but it’s alot of work for something you don’t always enjoy. Also could depend on what career ur thinking of.
Original post by lily3034
If you don’t enjoy reading and finding the deeper links between texts it might not be the A level for you. I’ve loved doing it and 20% of mine is coursework so a bit of pressure off the exam, but then again I’ve probably been lucky with texts I acc like and good teachers aswell. I agree with @cheerleader it’s very subjective. I guess it depends what other alevels you’d do instead, you could probably still do well at English lit if you don’t love it but it’s alot of work for something you don’t always enjoy. Also could depend on what career ur thinking of.

honestly i wouldn't rely on the coursework too much. they purposely put coursework in place because of the very narrow grade boundaries. it means even if you ace coursework and one exam even a slightly lower mark in your second exam can drag your performance down massively, just know every info about every character/relationship/theme inside out because they truly can put anything up which is scary in order to hit the context marks etc.

but i'm sure everyone is capable with the right work just pick wisely because it is v content heavy and if you find it easy you're probably not working hard enough. x (aka what i noticed the night before)
Reply 4
Original post by cheerIeader
honestly i wouldn't rely on the coursework too much. they purposely put coursework in place because of the very narrow grade boundaries. it means even if you ace coursework and one exam even a slightly lower mark in your second exam can drag your performance down massively, just know every info about every character/relationship/theme inside out because they truly can put anything up which is scary in order to hit the context marks etc.

but i'm sure everyone is capable with the right work just pick wisely because it is v content heavy and if you find it easy you're probably not working hard enough. x (aka what i noticed the night before)

Yeah I get you, obvs 80% is on the exam and if you get a horrible question that sucks. I take biology and chemistry with English and English exams are defo the ones I worry about most because you just can’t predict what will come up. There are some options (depending on ur board) mean u have some room for choice but ik in my AS I panicked and picked one when I know I could’ve answered the other better.

At the the end of the day you have to think if you wanna do it for another two years over your other options. Also to answer the other bit of your post it is a big jump but every subject is from GCSE to A level and tbh compared to something like maths (I did it to AS) i personally think it’s easier - if you’ve got the skills to write an essay it’s just building on that and keeping up with the workload! (not that I always have haha but overall) :smile:
Original post by lily3034
Yeah I get you, obvs 80% is on the exam and if you get a horrible question that sucks. I take biology and chemistry with English and English exams are defo the ones I worry about most because you just can’t predict what will come up. There are some options (depending on ur board) mean u have some room for choice but ik in my AS I panicked and picked one when I know I could’ve answered the other better.

At the the end of the day you have to think if you wanna do it for another two years over your other options. Also to answer the other bit of your post it is a big jump but every subject is from GCSE to A level and tbh compared to something like maths (I did it to AS) i personally think it’s easier - if you’ve got the skills to write an essay it’s just building on that and keeping up with the workload! (not that I always have haha but overall) :smile:

I definitely get what you mean it's all about writing the perfect essay embedding quotes and all to make it sound more sophisticated as well as hitting the AO's. I think essays aside the jump was more the amount of texts we were studying and the length of some of them because they're obviously a lot longer and there are more. But I'm sure you'll do well definitely just tons of practice essays around both major/minor characters and themes. x

Quick Reply

Latest