The Student Room Group

Level 8/9 phrases for GCSE French

anyone know any good phrases to help get a level 9/8 in french GCSE?
I got a 9 in French and I really don't recommend just memorising phrases. Thats what I done for my mocks and it went terribly bad cuz I didn't know how to adapt the phrases in different situations and I was confident in conjugating the verbs. I recommend learning a wide variety of verbs and also how to conjugate them. To get the top grades, you should aim to include the subjunctive mood, past conditional and other high level tenses. Hope that helps
As above, but there are definitely phrases that you can learn and learn how to use in a variety of circumstances. Generally, however, you should just try to strengthen your grammar to the point where you can use it comfortably. That being said, there are tenses/ moods such as the subjunctive and the passive which you may not focus on much at GCSE!

- Bien qu'il y ait... (although there is/are) = this is the subjunctive form of 'il y a'. You could say something along the lines of 'although there's a cinema, I'm bored.

- En discutant... (When discussing...) = I'd use this to start a phrase. You could say something like 'When discussing the climate, one must mention...' but you could also say 'When speaking to my mum, I learnt that...'.

- Je suis en train de... (I'm in the process of) = nice idiom to use to describe something you're currently doing. 'Je suis en train de lire mon livre'.

I also recommend getting to know the passive mood. It isn't too tricky, but it's worth knowing!
Reply 3
Original post by redmeercat
As above, but there are definitely phrases that you can learn and learn how to use in a variety of circumstances. Generally, however, you should just try to strengthen your grammar to the point where you can use it comfortably. That being said, there are tenses/ moods such as the subjunctive and the passive which you may not focus on much at GCSE!

- Bien qu'il y ait... (although there is/are) = this is the subjunctive form of 'il y a'. You could say something along the lines of 'although there's a cinema, I'm bored.

- En discutant... (When discussing...) = I'd use this to start a phrase. You could say something like 'When discussing the climate, one must mention...' but you could also say 'When speaking to my mum, I learnt that...'.

- Je suis en train de... (I'm in the process of) = nice idiom to use to describe something you're currently doing. 'Je suis en train de lire mon livre'.

I also recommend getting to know the passive mood. It isn't too tricky, but it's worth knowing!

thanks I think that will really help!

Quick Reply

Latest