Parliament must reject the latest Boris 'deal' proposal and call for a 2nd referendum Watch

Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
Who says britons don't want to do them?
Exactly, I implied the same thing on another topic, I got a load of right wing rhetoric back about how lazy and useless last two generations of working class people are from both leavers and ironically pseudo left wing remainers.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
That is exactly what i am suggesting and you yourself just said...
How exactly was it err dishonest?
We joined the EEC without a referendum being held and then when one was granted there was massive pressure put on employees of some large companies to vote to remain in, I realise that you only believe documented things but back then there was of course no internet and pretty much all papers were pro EEC so it was not reported but an old workmate who had absolutely no reason to lie, this was in the early Nineties when the Maastricht treaty was signed, informed me that his employees at the time (NFC if you're interested) sent letters to every employee suggesting that a no vote would mean job losses, he also informed me that he had friends working for other large companies that were also leaned on in a similar fashion.
People back then we're also not informed of exactly how close a union it was to become and how much sovereignty would eventually be lost, now I also know that you would suggest that they should have done some research to inform themselves but it really was not that simple in the 70's.
Last edited by ColinDent; 1 month ago
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
Honestly, that's the best you can come up with? Why do we need to import so much cod and haddock, it couldn't possibly be because most of our fishing waters have been taken from us surely?
Oh dear. And you say the population isn't ignorant? We import cod and haddock because they don't live in British waters. Never have. We import from Iceland and Norway.

Traditional british fish are herring, mackerel and sprats, very much enjoyed by Europe. Smoke me a kipper for breakfast and all that...
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
On the fishing point only 40% of fish caught in UK waters is brought to British ports thanks to the CFP. With more fish brought to port, prices will fall and more fish will be consumed. While No Deal could impact fishing exports, with more of that 60% offish not brought to British ports able to be exported by us, we may negate some of the loss.

Not t9 mention, we may still get a deal.
That is what you want to happen. But when was the last time yoy ate kippers or herring or other British fish? You do know where your fish comes from right? British people don't like British fish. And the stuff we catch and export will become 20% more expensive to buyers and will require addition paperwork on our side.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Did you find out yesterday that some of the fish "import" back are caught by European trawlers in OUR waters?
Of course. But then we British have access to European waters so I don't really know why we are crying about it. I believe the French were complaining about British oyster catchers in their waters.

As said before, the British don't eat British fish so frankly I don't see why it is so immotive. Shame though. Kippers and smokies are delicious!
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Of course. But then we British have access to European waters so I don't really know why we are crying about it. I believe the French were complaining about British oyster catchers in their waters.

As said before, the British don't eat British fish so frankly I don't see why it is so immotive. Shame though. Kippers and smokies are delicious!
I'm not a fish person, however the fish trade seem to sell a hell of a lot of fish to say we dont eat fish.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not a fish person, however the fish trade seem to sell a hell of a lot of fish to say we dont eat fish.
Indeed. Like many other UK baded businesses that export to our primary export market.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Indeed. Like many other UK baded businesses that export to our primary export market.
Not post brexit mate, if you doom mongers are to be believed we will all be starving on the brink of world war three. I'd personally take a warm uk caught fish meal over starvation:-)
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Not post brexit mate, if you doom mongers are to be believed we will all be starving on the brink of world war three. I'd personally take a warm uk caught fish meal over starvation:-)
Starvation, no. Significant cost increases, shortages in some areas, increasing unemployment and lack of job opportunities for younger people, yes.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
The deal that Boris and the Irish PM, Leo Varadkar, are now working on clearly indicates that the UK will leave both the Single Market and the Customs Union, leaving only Northern Ireland suspended temporarily in some sort of 'in/out' limbo acceptable to the DUP and Dublin.

Yet this deal, if passed, will wreck the UK economy.

Car manufacturers will leave in droves - only today, Nissan have warned in the strongest terms that the tariffs of 10% to be imposed by the EU on UK-made vehicles will make being in the UK unviable. This is almost a million jobs.

Food supplies and numerous other industries will be disrupted, as their current production models rely on smooth border flows, that will no longer exist cross-channel.

There will be massive extra burdens of bureaucracy on UK exporters, causing many to withdraw from exporting and adding to our balance of payments deficit.

The pound will plunge to new lows, causing inflation on both food and non-food items. The era of things like cheap imported computers, phones and other electronics will have ended.

The UK will not be able to call on large numbers of European workers who sustain the ordinary work of our economy and make the UK viable, doing all the many jobs that British people don't want to do.

It will be terrible.

This is OUR government planning to do this to OUR country.

Absolutely incredible and purely because a small, highly ideological, extremist faction have taken control of the Tory Party and are being served by their supine liar-in-chief with what they want to hear.

It will be a patriotic act for all existing MPs to vote this down.

We shall then see if Boris Johnson and the Tory extremist ERG are actual democrats, or not.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We import the fish we eat and we export the fish we catch.

See

https://www.seafish.org/media/Public...heet_Final.pdf

However fish production is a lot more complex than that. A catch landed at Peterhead or Fraserburgh will be brought by road to Grimsby where it will be sold in the fishmarket to a processor who will ship it to China for filleting and then back again to the Humber where it will be packaged.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Starvation, no. Significant cost increases, shortages in some areas, increasing unemployment and lack of job opportunities for younger people, yes.
Actually, that's already happened .. all under Cameron, who is a remainer..see how it works? Remaining means continuing to let trash in, refusing to remove trash, and ignoring the dire situation that REMAINS to be Broken Britain! How can you not...get that...
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by nulli tertius)
However fish production is a lot more complex than that. A catch landed at Peterhead or Fraserburgh will be brought by road to Grimsby where it will be sold in the fishmarket to a processor who will ship it to China for filleting and then back again to the Humber where it will be packaged.
How reassuring in every way - CO2 usage, public health, quality of our food.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I find lack if job opportunities for younger people interesting, why do you think that?

I genuinely think my sons generation have far less opportunities currently than I had, that's under the status quo I am trying to change.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I’m actually a big fish fan, M&S sells a lot of British fish.

That said your still focusing on the fish we export now, ignoring that the CFP allow foreigners to have 60% of the fish stock. It is a truly stupid idea for an island nation.

And again, your assuming no deal.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
Actually, that's already happened .. all under Cameron, who is a remainer..see how it works? Remaining means continuing to let trash in, refusing to remove trash, and ignoring the dire situation that REMAINS to be Broken Britain! How can you not...get that...
When you refer to trash, are you referring to skilled or motivated workers prepared to do the jobs either we are too lazy to do or don't have the skills to do?

Or are you referring to the long term unemployed and underserving poor white Brits who are the scourge of sink estates?

Or are you talking about the trash that we can no longer export to be disposed of?

Or are you just racist?
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
I find lack if job opportunities for younger people interesting, why do you think that?

I genuinely think my sons generation have far less opportunities currently than I had, that's under the status quo I am trying to change.
I was thinking of graduates, this being a student forum. Are you white working class and Northern? I realise look different in parts of the country and amongst some groups.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh dear. And you say the population isn't ignorant? We import cod and haddock because they don't live in British waters. Never have. We import from Iceland and Norway.

Traditional british fish are herring, mackerel and sprats, very much enjoyed by Europe. Smoke me a kipper for breakfast and all that...
Are you sure about your facts?
Because in my recollection of the cod wars from those history lessons many moons ago they were started when Iceland unilaterally declared a wider fishing zone, it was only in 1976 that we fully conceded the 200 mile exclusion zone and even then it was only because of the strategic importance of Icelandic waters to NATO.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

You are quite right. We had the opportunity to work anywhere in Europe from holiday rep or chalet host to grape pickers and more besides. To say nothing of all those people who have bought houses in Europe and live / commute. All closed off now. 20 years ago, the world was getting bigger. Now, with war and patriotism it is getting smaller and people are becoming inward looking forgetting how much they depend others whilst vilifying those they depend on. Brexit is a gigantic screw you to the rest of the world.
Last edited by ByEeek; 1 month ago
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was thinking of graduates, this being a student forum. Are you white working class and Northern? I realise look different in parts of the country and amongst some groups.
White working class and from Midlands, I dont know what my skin colour has to do with anything though?

The student graduate lack of opportunities is a failing of the neoliberal right wing models you wish to hold close too. As soon as you make education an industry, degrees a commodity too "sell" and made degrees in abundance that lose there value.

The EU backed education system is one of the reasons I wish to leave the EU, for the benefit of the younger generation to give them more opportunities.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (65)
32.18%
Spring (37)
18.32%
Autumn/Fall (51)
25.25%
Winter (38)
18.81%
I love them all equally (11)
5.45%