I don't know what i'm going to do at Uni.

Watch
.Nova.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,i am in year 13 and i'm currently studying the following subjects :
- Geography A-level
- Design & Technology A-level
- ICT Cambridge Technicals Level 3

I am really interested into doing something "ICT " related ,but there are so many things i could be doing in this sector that i'm literally confused. Then you have my school, which is really pushing students into filling their UCAS applications and here its me who hasn't yet figured out what to do. I know it might be simple as" go with what you like",but i find it much more harder to choose. I did overlook into something like software developer/computer programmer, but i feel like some of these subjects require more than what i have. What i mean by this is that i am not doing any science or maths or even computer science (subject) and this might be required to enter the course.
I am writing this so that hopefully someone can help me find the ideal carrier,possibly in ICT. Yeah,i'm lost Plz help : )
Manazoid4
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey!

Do a computer science degree which touches on most or all topics in computing, find what turns you on and choose those modules in second year then graduate and the world is your oyster

Good luck (:
.Nova.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Manazoid4)
Hey!

Do a computer science degree which touches on most or all topics in computing, find what turns you on and choose those modules in second year then graduate and the world is your oyster

Good luck (:
Hey thanks for your reply. Yeah computer science is great,but can i do that course with the subjects i am doing right now ? I know its ICT related, but compared to computer science "ICT" is totally different.
Manazoid4
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by .Nova.)
Hey thanks for your reply. Yeah computer science is great,but can i do that course with the subjects i am doing right now ? I know its ICT related, but compared to computer science "ICT" is totally different.
From the best of my knowledge, I dont think most unis care what subjects you did THAT much. In your case it should be perfectly fine to get onto a computer science degree, ICT is very close to computer science.
Lemme know if you need ANY help (:
.Nova.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Manazoid4)
From the best of my knowledge, I dont think most unis care what subjects you did THAT much. In your case it should be perfectly fine to get onto a computer science degree, ICT is very close to computer science.
Lemme know if you need ANY help (:
Manazoid4 Thanks Man,i really appreciate your help. ill keep you Updated xD...i might have found something interesting.
Last edited by .Nova.; 1 year ago
Zacky1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,i am in year 13 and i'm currently studying the following subjects :
- Geography A-level
- Design & Technology A-level
- ICT Cambridge Technicals Level 3

I am really interested into doing something "ICT " related ,but there are so many things i could be doing in this sector that i'm literally confused. Then you have my school, which is really pushing students into filling their UCAS applications and here its me who hasn't yet figured out what to do. I know it might be simple as" go with what you like",but i find it much more harder to choose. I did overlook into something like software developer/computer programmer, but i feel like some of these subjects require more than what i have. What i mean by this is that i am not doing any science or maths or even computer science (subject) and this might be required to enter the course.
I am writing this so that hopefully someone can help me find the ideal carrier,possibly in ICT. Yeah,i'm lost Plz help : )
Hello I am doing IT Cambridge technical level 3. I want to do computer engineering, computer science or IT at uni I went to some unis open days and they told me that it was fine I could still get it. And the subjects I am doing for a level are IT, btec science and french. You need to check the different unos some of them will accept you some of them no.
Also are you doing unit 13 coursework for IT if so can i have some resources for it or some example about how to do it? Thank you
.Nova.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zacky1234)
Hello I am doing IT Cambridge technical level 3. I want to do computer engineering, computer science or IT at uni I went to some unis open days and they told me that it was fine I could still get it. And the subjects I am doing for a level are IT, btec science and french. You need to check the different unos some of them will accept you some of them no.
Also are you doing unit 13 coursework for IT if so can i have some resources for it or some example about how to do it? Thank you
Hi Zacky1234,thanks for telling me that. Yes, i will be doing ICT-Year13-coursework,but my class has not yet started to do the actual product. In my class each of us its developing a revision website and at the moment we just started Prototype 1. Soz,Yeah i can't really tell you much yet.
So you are in yr 13 as well,right ? Ill keep you updated if you need that but for the moment why don't you ask your IT teacher for any kind of help. Btw what i am doing atm its following the "tasks" documents that my teacher gives to us. I use them to understand what to do,also most of the stuff you write will be repetitive.
And about your choices,what grades will you need to do computer science at UNI (in your case) ? if you can,let me know the name of the course.
Last edited by .Nova.; 1 year ago
Zacky1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Zacky1234,thanks for telling me that. Yes, i will be doing ICT-Year13-coursework,but my class has not yet started to do the actual product. In my class each of us its developing a revision website and at the moment we just started Prototype 1. Soz,Yeah i can't really tell you much yet.
So you are in yr 13 as well,right ? Ill keep you updated if you need that but for the moment why don't you ask your IT teacher for any kind of help. Btw what i am doing atm its following the "tasks" documents that my teacher gives to us. I use them to understand what to do,also most of the stuff you write will be repetitive.
And about your choices,what grades will you need to do computer science at UNI (in your case) ? if you can,let me know the name of the course.
Hello, I’m in year 13 my teacher said you need to do this course for this specific day and nothing else. Looking at the book I was able to do some of the tasks but after a couple of them the book doesn’t help either.
The course I need to do is unit 13 ít Called social media and digital marketing.
About the courses I checked for uni were IT, computer science and computer engineering. None of them I needed to have experience with computers or programming which is good. And also the grades are not that bad. AAB or ABB depending on the uni or the course. IT will be need a distinction as it is the equivalent of an A. Distinction star is A*, Distinction is A, merit C and pass E
.Nova.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zacky1234)
Hello, I’m in year 13 my teacher said you need to do this course for this specific day and nothing else. Looking at the book I was able to do some of the tasks but after a couple of them the book doesn’t help either.
The course I need to do is unit 13 ít Called social media and digital marketing.
About the courses I checked for uni were IT, computer science and computer engineering. None of them I needed to have experience with computers or programming which is good. And also the grades are not that bad. AAB or ABB depending on the uni or the course. IT will be need a distinction as it is the equivalent of an A. Distinction star is A*, Distinction is A, merit C and pass E
Hi Zacky1234,
from what i am reading i can tell that even tho we are both doing the same subject we are developing different products. Regarding the help bit,yeah the book does not contain everything,its best if you ask the teacher for help in sections of coursework where you get stuck because you don't know what to write. What we had to do before starting to develop our website was choosing a project life cycle methodology such as "Agile or waterfall methodology". We had to search them,explain them and lastly thoroughly compare them with other methodologies.
Since ICT is a "Vocational A-level" (BTEC tbf) it seems easy to get a distinction but you will need to pass every course-work unit with its full score which is kinda boring yeah. Btw what did you got in your ICT exams last year ? I managed to get one distinction in Unit 1 hardware and merit in unit 2;these grades will impact the grade you need to get in your coursework.

If you need anything else,please feel free to ask.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.09%
Uncertainty around my education (37)
10.72%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (40)
11.59%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.62%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (16)
4.64%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (37)
10.72%
Financial worries (24)
6.96%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.35%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.09%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.9%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (35)
10.14%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise