The Student Room Group

HELP - NatSci uni choices

I’m applying to study natural sciences at uni, and my current unis that I’m going to apply to are Cambridge and Bath. I have no idea what other unis to apply to for this course - I was contemplating Durham, UEA, Lancaster, Loughborough and Leeds, but am not sure which to pick. I don’t want to apply to York or Exeter btw. So, any idea of what unis to pick, considering I like Cambridge and Bath a lot. Thanks!
(edited 4 years ago)
I have been considering Durham and when I look at their course breakdowns they look really good so, would definitely recommend but I'm not familiar with the others so, I don't know about them.
Good luck. 🍀
Original post by itsbritneyb*tch
I’m applying to study natural sciences at uni, and my current unis that I’m going to apply to are Cambridge and Bath. I have no idea what other unis to apply to for this course - I was contemplating Durham, UEA, Lancaster, Loughborough and Leeds, but am not sure which to pick. I don’t want to apply to York or Exeter btw. So, any idea of what unis to pick, considering I like Cambridge and Bath a lot. Thanks!

Hello,
My name's Charlotte and I originally applied for natsci at Lancaster and studied it for a year before changing course (I did NOT enjoy maths). Let me know if there's anything I can help you with, whether it's questions about the uni, the course, the city etc.
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello,
My name's Charlotte and I originally applied for natsci at Lancaster and studied it for a year before changing course (I did NOT enjoy maths). Let me know if there's anything I can help you with, whether it's questions about the uni, the course, the city etc.
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine

Hi,
What’s Lancaster like to study at? Is it pretty chill? What’s the general atmosphere at Lancaster like and what are the people like that go there? Also, is it in the middle of nowhere?
Thanks!

Hi itsbritneyb*tch

We find a lot of people who apply to Bath also apply to Loughborough. Best thing to do if possible is to shortlist down and visit the ones you're interested in. Compare the courses for a start and see which suit your interests the best.
If you've got any specific questions just ask :smile:

Vicky
Hi,
What’s Lancaster like to study at? Is it pretty chill? What’s the general atmosphere at Lancaster like and what are the people like that go there? Also, is it in the middle of nowhere?
Thanks!

No worries!
Lancaster's campus is kind of on a hill and surrounded by loads of fields and grass so at first it seems like it's in the middle of nowhere, but it's about 10-15 on the bus to the centre of town. There's 9 bars on campus, about 20 restaurants/cafes and two little supermarkets (including WHSmith, Co-op, Costa, Starbucks, Spar, Greggs, Subway... and lots of independent places). The town has everything you need plus good transport links, we're near Manchester, Blackpool and the Lake District. It's definitely very picturesque. There's lots of international students (EU and non-EU) and you'll most likely be living with at least one in first year, and a lot of people are from the north-west and north in general (Preston, Liverpool, Leeds etc) but obviously there's southerners too. It's hard to describe the atmosphere but it's not a massive uni and the city isn't too big so it's definitely 'chill' in that sense, but usually there's something to do e.g. the music festival this weekend, or fireworks, or Christmas markets and there's always something going on at uni.
Hope this is helpful and let me know if you have anymore questions!
Hi @itsbritneyb*tch,

If you like Cambridge and Bath, UEA is probably a good bet! Cambridge and Norwich have quite a similar feel as cities and Norwich is a very nice and safe place to live. And like Bath, UEA is also a campus-based university which adds a really nice community feel - and the city centre is only 20 minute bus ride from the UEA campus.

UEA's Science faculty is one of the largest faculties in the University, and Natural Sciences specifically ranks highly on research and impact - 84% research outputs were assessed as being world-leading or internationally excellent (Research Excellence Framework (REF)). It's a great department!

Let me know if you have any further questions about UEA, or even about unis/UCAS/anything in general!

Emilie - Official UEA TSR Rep
Original post by University of East Anglia
Hi @itsbritneyb*tch,

If you like Cambridge and Bath, UEA is probably a good bet! Cambridge and Norwich have quite a similar feel as cities and Norwich is a very nice and safe place to live. And like Bath, UEA is also a campus-based university which adds a really nice community feel - and the city centre is only 20 minute bus ride from the UEA campus.

UEA's Science faculty is one of the largest faculties in the University, and Natural Sciences specifically ranks highly on research and impact - 84% research outputs were assessed as being world-leading or internationally excellent (Research Excellence Framework (REF)). It's a great department!

Let me know if you have any further questions about UEA, or even about unis/UCAS/anything in general!

I applied for Natural Sciences at UEA in the end and have already got an offer! Thank you!
I applied for Natural Sciences at UEA in the end and have already got an offer! Thank you!

That's great to hear! Congratulations.

As I've said - feel free to message anytime if you have any questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest