GP Registration Watch

swim_girl1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Hi Guys,
I have a question about registering for your local GP, I went to uni last year in a different city from my home but was never needing to go to the doctor so didn't bother getting registering to a GP. But I've realised that was a mistake so want to get sorted in this city, how do you go about actually registering for the GP? Like do you phone up and say I want to register with you and then you go in???

bit of a stupid question but im very confused XD, any help is appreciated.
originalbiscotti
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
i mean yeah you could ring, but they'd probably just tell you to come in anyway.
id suggest going in one day and speaking to a receptionist, just explain that you want to register, and they'll give you some forms to fill out. just basic stuff like address, and then the details of the gp youre currently registered to.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by swim_girl1)
Hi Guys,
I have a question about registering for your local GP, I went to uni last year in a different city from my home but was never needing to go to the doctor so didn't bother getting registering to a GP. But I've realised that was a mistake so want to get sorted in this city, how do you go about actually registering for the GP? Like do you phone up and say I want to register with you and then you go in???

You don't need to phone ahead, but some practices only accept new patients on certain days of the week. Just go in and ask or check the practice website. You will need to to complete an official NHS form (quick, have your NHS number and old GP's details to hand) and then several forms for the practice about your medical and social history. You will also need to physically show the practice official ID and proof of address to prove that you live within their catchment area.
forgotten_one
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I think you can even do it online for some practices?
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Some practices don't accept new patients so it's best to contact the practice directly and ask if they are accepting new patients and what the procedure for registering is.
Kindred
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by swim_girl1)
Hi Guys,

Yeah pretty much. Find whichever surgery is closest or most easy for you to get to, phone them up and check they are accepting new patients then you'll probably be asked to come in with ID and proof of address to fill in a form. Once you've registered you might be asked to book an initial appointment where they can check your medical history, do a basic check up and stuff.

Worth phoning first so you can make sure they are accepting new patients and that you have everything you need when you go in.

Some universities have GP practices on site so you might like to google that to see if there is one for yours (cos it might not come up for a search of your city if it is just for students).

Good luck
Welshvisitor
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I’ve just registered with mine. I go given a form to fill in and had to provide proof of address. Literally that easy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (110)
17.89%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
26.99%
Not great so far... (221)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (118)
19.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed