The Student Room Group

Can’t choose between chemistry and maths for uni?

So I’m currently studying a levels maths biology chemistry and furthermaths. All my life maths was my strongest subject and I was certain I wanted to do it at university. However during my a level course I’ve been enjoying chemistry a lot more than expected and right now I’m enjoying it more than maths. I really enjoy problem solving and love a challenge. If anyone has any experience study maths or chemistry at degree level, did you enjoy it and how was your experience?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Have you looked into joint honours degrees in maths and chemistry?
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
Have you looked into joint honours degrees in maths and chemistry?

I have considered that, however I don’t really seem to understand how they work. Do you just study the maths side of chemistry or would you study sections of both the maths and chemistry degree?
Reply 3
I dont understand it either! I read at least 2 accounts on here of people doing such an option through natural sciences degrees. They explained why they liked it and thought it valuable for looking at areas of chemistry with a more mathematical bias.

There is a really helpful contributor here for the Bath natural sciences courses - perhaps you could ask them for advice?
Reply 4
well there's a lot more maths in chem than there is chem in maths. but i guess it depends on what you'd like to do after uni. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by raabiahh
well there's a lot more maths in chem than there is chem in maths. but i guess it depends on what you'd like to do after uni. :smile:

I do think I’m leaning towards chemistry because if that, and also most careers leading form maths don’t seem to interest me e.g. accountancy just didn’t appeal to me enough to spend the rest of my life doing
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
I dont understand it either! I read at least 2 accounts on here of people doing such an option through natural sciences degrees. They explained why they liked it and thought it valuable for looking at areas of chemistry with a more mathematical bias.

There is a really helpful contributor here for the Bath natural sciences courses - perhaps you could ask them for advice?

I will try that, thank you!
Reply 7
@University of Bath - any thoughts?
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/chemistry-with-maths-degree-mchem

There are some unis who offer both - e.g. Southampton (see above.)

How much do you enjoy the practical work in chemistry. Most chemistry degrees have a lot of lab work!
Original post by ajj2000

Original post by Alysia.joy

Hi there!

If you are interested in both Chemistry and Maths, but haven't yet decided yet, then NatSci may indeed be a good option for you.

At Bath, our NatSci course functions basically like a joint honours. You choose a major and a minor subject from Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Physics, Pharmacology and Environmental Science. On top of your major and minor, you also choose an optional module, for example management, maths for life sciences, or psychology. The only exception to this is if you take physics as a major or minor, you cannot choose an optional module as that block is occupied by a compulsory maths module instead. You can find more detailed info about the modules, combinations and contents here.

If you have a stronger interest in maths, then the Bath course may not be the best for you as the maths is pretty minimal. There will obviously be some maths within the science modules, but this is often only what is required. For example, there is a fair bit of statistics in biology and more simple maths in pharmacology and chemistry. The optional maths for life sciences module is mostly statistics as opposed to core/pure maths. If you take physics for A-Level and would be interested in continuing it at uni, a good option would be Chemistry with Physics through NatSci. This way you would get to study chemistry, whilst getting the maths contained in both those modules as well as the extra maths module that physics students need to take.

Essentially, if you are more interested in the sciences but want to do some maths, then NatSci would be an amazing option as it means you can continue both. However, if maths is your main interest, then the Bath NatSci course might not me "maths-y" enough for you and one of our mathematics degrees may be more suitable. It might also be worth looking at a Chemistry degree, as on a regular chemistry degree you will also have computational labs (which NatSci student don't do).

Based on what you've said about enjoying chemistry more, I'd suggest considering Chemistry or NatSci over Maths. A degree is 3-4 years of your life - the more you enjoy the subject, the more enjoyable your degree will be. It's also far easier to get good grades in a degree subject that you enjoy more. That being said, you can always apply for one degree and do it for a year, and then start again on another degree if you decide the first wasn't for you. It's never a dead end :smile:

I hope this has helped, and please let me know if you have any more questions!
Jessica, a third year Natural Sciences student
Original post by ajj2000

Hi again,

I would also add that attending an Open Day or Applicant Visit Day is an excellent idea. This way you can visit the departments themselves, talk to current academics, staff and students and get a better idea from a wider range of people as to which course may be best for you.

I hope this helps,
Jessica, a third year NatSci student
Reply 11
Original post by University of Bath
Hi there!

If you are interested in both Chemistry and Maths, but haven't yet decided yet, then NatSci may indeed be a good option for you.

At Bath, our NatSci course functions basically like a joint honours. You choose a major and a minor subject from Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Physics, Pharmacology and Environmental Science. On top of your major and minor, you also choose an optional module, for example management, maths for life sciences, or psychology. The only exception to this is if you take physics as a major or minor, you cannot choose an optional module as that block is occupied by a compulsory maths module instead. You can find more detailed info about the modules, combinations and contents here.

If you have a stronger interest in maths, then the Bath course may not be the best for you as the maths is pretty minimal. There will obviously be some maths within the science modules, but this is often only what is required. For example, there is a fair bit of statistics in biology and more simple maths in pharmacology and chemistry. The optional maths for life sciences module is mostly statistics as opposed to core/pure maths. If you take physics for A-Level and would be interested in continuing it at uni, a good option would be Chemistry with Physics through NatSci. This way you would get to study chemistry, whilst getting the maths contained in both those modules as well as the extra maths module that physics students need to take.

Essentially, if you are more interested in the sciences but want to do some maths, then NatSci would be an amazing option as it means you can continue both. However, if maths is your main interest, then the Bath NatSci course might not me "maths-y" enough for you and one of our mathematics degrees may be more suitable. It might also be worth looking at a Chemistry degree, as on a regular chemistry degree you will also have computational labs (which NatSci student don't do).

Based on what you've said about enjoying chemistry more, I'd suggest considering Chemistry or NatSci over Maths. A degree is 3-4 years of your life - the more you enjoy the subject, the more enjoyable your degree will be. It's also far easier to get good grades in a degree subject that you enjoy more. That being said, you can always apply for one degree and do it for a year, and then start again on another degree if you decide the first wasn't for you. It's never a dead end :smile:

I hope this has helped, and please let me know if you have any more questions!
Jessica, a third year Natural Sciences student

Thankyou so much, that was really helpful!
Reply 12
Hey! I'm currently studying for a chemistry degree and I love it! I too was in a similar situation, as I find maths pretty easy but am so glad I went with Chemistry! The practical side with labs is something that you just wouldn't get with Maths. It's the highlight of my week because it is so good for socializing with my course mates. If your good at maths then the maths side of chemistry will be really interesting and also an easier side to the course.
Finally about careers, typical 'maths' careers like accountancy and actuarial are still easy to get into with a chemistry degree because employers value the range of skills a chemistry degree teaches you.
Original post by Hopps
Hey! I'm currently studying for a chemistry degree and I love it! I too was in a similar situation, as I find maths pretty easy but am so glad I went with Chemistry! The practical side with labs is something that you just wouldn't get with Maths. It's the highlight of my week because it is so good for socializing with my course mates. If your good at maths then the maths side of chemistry will be really interesting and also an easier side to the course.
Finally about careers, typical 'maths' careers like accountancy and actuarial are still easy to get into with a chemistry degree because employers value the range of skills a chemistry degree teaches you.

I can't speak for accountancy, but it's not "still easy" to get into an actuarial career with a chemistry degree. Chemistry barely teaches any of the exam syllabus actuaries have to pass.
Thankyou so much, that was really helpful!

Hi,

No problem, I'm glad I could help! Just let me know if you've got more questions :smile:

Jessica, third year Natural Sciences student
You can join a graduate training scheme for careers such as actuary and accountancy with any degree

eg to train with PwC as an actuary you need A level maths and a degree in any subject. For accountancy you don't even need A level maths.

KPMG is the same.

If you have degrees in applicable subjects you can sometimes get exemptions from part of the professional exams you have to take, but graduate training programmes are open to anyone with a good degree regardless of the subject. A good graduate programme will support you with taking all the professional qualifications you need to do the job.
Original post by 2childmum!
You can join a graduate training scheme for careers such as actuary and accountancy with any degree

eg to train with PwC as an actuary you need A level maths and a degree in any subject. For accountancy you don't even need A level maths.

KPMG is the same.

If you have degrees in applicable subjects you can sometimes get exemptions from part of the professional exams you have to take, but graduate training programmes are open to anyone with a good degree regardless of the subject. A good graduate programme will support you with taking all the professional qualifications you need to do the job.

How many people get onto actuarial training schemes without a highly mathematical degree?
I have considered that, however I don’t really seem to understand how they work. Do you just study the maths side of chemistry or would you study sections of both the maths and chemistry degree?

Depends on the course in question. UCL Chemistry with Maths mostly has mathematical methods courses for the maths side (basically, maths in the vein of A-level Maths; more calculus, differential equations, etc). Southampton Chemistry with Maths gives more leeway to take options on the abstract maths side of thing. Neither is necessarily better or worse, it just depends on what you're interested in. NatSci courses are even more varied. Ultimately, you need to investigate each course option and see which fits your interests better.

As always when it comes to considering maths degrees, I would recommend you look into what degree level maths (i.e. the maths someone doing a maths degree does, rather than someone doing a degree with mathematical methods content) entails. It's very different from A-level Maths both in style and content, so just because you enjoy and/or do well in A-level Maths doesn't necessarily mean you'll find degree level (abstract) maths to your taste.

I would recommend you look at some introductory analysis textbook (e.g. Spivak's Calculus) which will reintroduce the calculus you're familiar with in A-level from a rigorous perspective, more aligned with how maths is done in a degree. You might also, in line with your interests in chemistry, want to look at some group theory material, which similarly to the analysis stuff lies on the abstract/pure side, although it has some applications to chemistry as well more specifically (symmetries of e.g. bonds/molecules).

@CheeseIsVeg is doing chemistry at Southampton and may be able to offer some advice on the chemistry side of things :smile:
Original post by artful_lounger
Yc:smile:

do look at group theory because it's horrible :emo:

x!

Hi
I'm a 3rd year chemistry student at the University of Southampton.
I think most of what I was going to say has already been covered! However, at Southampton they do a MChem with Maths course which is popular. This includes your core chemistry modules and then your optional modules are in mathematics run by the maths department.
This way you can keep both your interests ongoing!

Feel free to ask me any questions :smile:
Cheese
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 19
Massive Thank you to everyone who has replied to my question. It’s really opened my eyes to the range of options available that I didn’t even know existed. Hopefully in the next year I can do more research and decide which option is best for me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending