Different ways in the British education system to become an astronomer

Watch
ArtmisKco
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I would like to do astronomy and know that you need a maths and physics alevels but what other ways can you get in? I heard something about doing geology then geophysics and that geophysicists get to do astronomy. Thank you
2childmum!
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Usually you do a physics degree to do astronomy. There are some unis which offer physics and astronomy (or astrophysics - basically the same thing) degrees, but most physics degrees include some astronomy. Often you can apply for a straight physics degree and then switch to physics and astronomy after the first or second year. It's usually a good idea to apply for an integrated masters degree initially (which is 4 years) and then if you find you only want to do the 3 year BSc degree you can make that switch at some point during the course. There are summer intern places in astronomy which you can apply to attend usually during the summer before your final year e.g.
https://www.eso.org/public/blog/from...-to-cosmology/ (the guy 3rd from the left is my son!)

There are then PhDs in astronomy, either in the UK or abroad

The geology route is rather a long way round and really only leads to planetary geology which is a tiny branch of astronomy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (135)
58.7%
No (52)
22.61%
Not sure (43)
18.7%

Watched Threads