SpokeyDoke
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Just want to see who I'm up against!
I only decided to study music a few weeks ago (before it was Art, but I couldn't find a uni I liked. Then I realised, maybe its the course I don't like.)

Im Predicted A*,D1(A*), A, A in Music, Art, Film and Physics
I got 99999999A*A* in GCSEs
and B in FSMQ admaths
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wishing you the very best of luck! I'm an Oxford music alumna (2007-2010) :yep: There were a few Oxford muso applicants I think, floating around... :ninja:
howareyoumelllll
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yup I am applying to Oxford for music! lol got 9999998888A* and predicted A*A*A (music, maths, history) and got A in AS French.... does anyone have any tips for the submitted work???
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by howareyoumelllll)
yup I am applying to Oxford for music! lol got 9999998888A* and predicted A*A*A (music, maths, history) and got A in AS French.... does anyone have any tips for the submitted work???
My main tips would be not to go for a descriptive essay (e.g. analysing a piece of music and just stating what chords/modulations there are at various points), but for a more musicology-type/critical essay that sets out to answer a question. My other top tip is to choose a topic that you'd be confident discussing at the interviews (should you get to that stage!). Written work doesn't always come up in the interviews but just in case it does, it's good to be prepared for that! (I had a whole interview solely on the music essay I submitted! :eek: ) :ninja:
howareyoumelllll
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
My main tips would be not to go for a descriptive essay (e.g. analysing a piece of music and just stating what chords/modulations there are at various points), but for a more musicology-type/critical essay that sets out to answer a question. My other top tip is to choose a topic that you'd be confident discussing at the interviews (should you get to that stage!). Written work doesn't always come up in the interviews but just in case it does, it's good to be prepared for that! (I had a whole interview solely on the music essay I submitted! :eek: ) :ninja:
ah okay that's very helpful thanks, so a topic like performance authenticity or something like that instead of one from a level music???
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ah okay that's very helpful thanks, so a topic like performance authenticity or something like that instead of one from a level music???
It's supposed to be an A Level essay but as long as your teacher marks and stamps it or whatever they need to do, Oxford won't really know whether you've written it especially for them :ninja: It's fine to submit an essay from your A Level studies - it's just easier to build interview questions upon a discursive essay rather than one that just rattles off analytical detail, that's all! The main thing is to be confident on the topic
howareyoumelllll
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's supposed to be an A Level essay but as long as your teacher marks and stamps it or whatever they need to do, Oxford won't really know whether you've written it especially for them :ninja: It's fine to submit an essay from your A Level studies - it's just easier to build interview questions upon a discursive essay rather than one that just rattles off analytical detail, that's all! The main thing is to be confident on the topic
Okay thank you for ur help : ))), do u mind if I ask the topic that u wrote about??
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay thank you for ur help : ))), do u mind if I ask the topic that u wrote about??
I submitted an English Lit A2 essay I'd done for homework. The music essay was about Berlioz and his Symphonie Fantastique. The essay question began with a quote from someone about Berlioz being a trailblazer, so the question was about to what extent the quote was accurate (i.e. was Berlioz really that innovative?) :ahee:
howareyoumelllll
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I submitted an English Lit A2 essay I'd done for homework. The music essay was about Berlioz and his Symphonie Fantastique. The essay question began with a quote from someone about Berlioz being a trailblazer, so the question was about to what extent the quote was accurate (i.e. was Berlioz really that innovative?) :ahee:
thank you so much for this is has been hugely helpful
SpokeyDoke
Rep:
?
cool !! best of luck.
club96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm applying to Magdalen for Music too! I got 99999998887 in my GCSE's and I'm predicted A*A*A* in Music, Bio and Chem and an A in EPQ, I also got an A in AS Maths. What instruments do you all play?
SpokeyDoke
Rep:
?
(Original post by club96)
I'm applying to Magdalen for Music too! I got 99999998887 in my GCSE's and I'm predicted A*A*A* in Music, Bio and Chem and an A in EPQ, I also got an A in AS Maths. What instruments do you all play?
hey, my main is piano but i also play flute, bass guitar and sing wbu?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (17)
13.6%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (30)
24%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (54)
43.2%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
16%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.2%

Watched Threads