The Student Room Group

I’m a young carer - Where should/do I mention it?

I didn’t really know I was the carer, It didn’t really dawn on me until this year being my sisters third year in Uni, she has never been there for my mum during her pain and it always has been me helping her through her pain. It’s affected me heavily and whilst it’s not the sole factor for my bad exam results it’s a big factor my absences in schools. My Mother is a big part of my life even though I only attributed being. young carer to the programs I was in when I was younger I only realise now. I’m going to be leaving my mom who has been depending on me for almost 6 years now with my sheltered brother who hasn’t done a days work in his life let alone the rigor of making sure my mum can work and is in as little pain as possible, neither is he physically strong so I’m scared for what will happen if she falls. I became strong at a very young age but my brother never had to respond like that so I’m very worried. My sister will be in academia for Idk how long.

But I want to know where to specify it in my ucas. I’ve been told to mention it but I never mentioned it in my PS because I never thought the things I did were normal. I’ve always been naive to think I’ve jumped through the same hoops as everyone. But I still have a chance to so Uni’s know my mitigating case.

So is there any place to add it? I feel shallow for wanting to addit to my UCAS but if it help universities understand my stress and maybe help even.
This should be mentioned in your reference. Speak to your referee and ask them to explain your circumstances.
Reply 2
Are you and your siblings getting the support that is available to young carers from various organisations? I am concerned that you're going to be spending your time away from hone worrying what is happening with your brother looking after your mum, and he needs to know what he can do for help rather than being dependent on you when you are at a distance and can't keeping returning. Maybe this?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/support-and-benefits-for-carers/help-for-young-carers/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending