The Student Room Group

What does it mean when people say “why don’t you do this, he/she likes you?”

Title. Does it imply that everyone else hates you?
Reply 1
Eg once I was too scared to move away from a boy because it was our seating plan in year 8 and I was too much of a goody goody. Another boy said “why don’t you go and sit next to [insert name] he likes you”

Another time me and 2 other girls were doing a group presentation for A level sociology and we were all saying “you ask him (the teacher)” to each other and then one girl said “why don’t you ask him? He likes you”
Reply 2
They don't mean other people hate you, they mean that person likes you likes you as in fancies you.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Title. Does it imply that everyone else hates you?

Not at all. It probably means that they are saying that there is a particular person who fancies you. Full stop. Not that you are not nice or that nobody else would??!!
Reply 4
Original post by Surnia
They don't mean other people hate you, they mean that person likes you likes you as in fancies you.

But how can a teacher fancy a student?

I can understand why the boy might say “so and so” likes you as in fancies you, he’s a student, but I can’t imagine a teacher fancying a student.

I can understand why the boy might say “so and so” likes you as in fancies you, he’s a student, but I can’t imagine a teacher fancying a student.

I think in context of the teacher it’s more like you’re the teacher’s favourite rather than fancying you, that’d be creepy and weird
Reply 6

They can if the student is of the correct age, like 18+
Reply 7
Original post by mgi
They can if the student is of the correct age, like 18+

I wasn’t 18 though, I was 16.
Reply 8
I did catch him checking me out once and then I quickly realised why and it’s because I tied my coat strap around my waist and it made me look so thin and boobs stuck out and was wearing headscarf (not that headscarf has anything to do with it), then I changed my coat so thank god.
Reply 9
I wasn’t 18 though, I was 16.

oh. ok. so it was inappropriate! Just move away from these situations!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending