Are autistic people more likely to have extreme political opinions Watch

Ferrograd
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'd be interested in finding some kind of data that backs my hypothesis up. I knew a boy at my school who was autistic. His social media was filled with posts glorifying Nazism and in general very right wing, anti immigrant etc. I've met other people online who are autistic and fascistic, and in the news recently a lot of neo nazis turn out to have autism to some degree. Greta thunberg is autisitc and many people would argue that her views are extreme (i wouldn't say they are extrreme, but they are very strong views for someone her age to be having and for her to be so passionate about them). Am I alone in thinking this? Please don't see this as a bash to autistic people because it's not, perhaps its their intelligence or something? I'm not a physcologist, so if any physcologists or people who study physcology here please feel free to answer
Glaz
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This isn't going to end well...
dxnixl
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well, this ain’t gonna age well
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report 4 weeks ago
People who are alienated from society develop extreme political views.

It's the same reason that there is an islamism problem in the West - the West is institutionally racist and alienates non-White citizens, who turn to extreme politics and sometimes even terrorism.

It would not surprise me to learn that autistic people are discriminated against too in the West, just as are LGBTQ+ and other people who don't fit the very narrow definition of "normal" that Western society revolves around.
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Glaz)
This isn't going to end well...
It isn't, but sometimes in life we need to ask difficult questions.

If you are offended, I am sorry but I don't beat about the bush as you may have figured out by now if you read my posts.
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I've known one guy with Asperger's who was a left-wing anarchist but was quite a sensible person.

Other than that, my prediction is this: people with autism are gonna be less likely to support mainstream/centrist views. I also think they'll be less likely to support nationalist/nativist views (despite your Nazi example) for the very simple reason that they'll be unlikely to feel ''solidarity'' with their average neurotypical countryman. If they're bullied as kids, they'll likely not think as adults that someone from ''their'' country deserves their solidarity more than a person in California who's also autistic.

So if anything, I think autism might be ''protective'' against common jingoisms?

P.S. I'm talking about functioning autism ofc.
HoldThisL
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i think you could've better worded your post by just asking the question, rather than claiming it's "your hypothesis" when there is no hypothesis made here. it makes it seem like you've got something to prove which is the controversial part

if you just stated your question and cited a reason it might be a little more welcoming for a healthy debate
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't think so.

Some autistic people may be lacking in reserve and less inclined to word their opinions & questions tactfully- because they don't foresee the potential to generate a negative reaction in other people.
Others may be so desperate for any social interaction that they are willing to interact with horrid people without any awareness that the individuals are promoting vicious conspiracy theories or vile lies that are motivated solely by race hate.
AngeryPenguin
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
LGBT people are discriminated against even more so than in non-western countries (e.g. russia and the middle east)
Russia I would class as a Western country, in the context of global affairs. Although there is a West-East split within Europe that can be traced back to the Western and Eastern Roman Empire split, on the global stage the two cultural centres of the world are the Roman Empire's descendants (The West) and China.

And the first part of your statement is only partially true. Before colonialism imposed Western values on the world, alternative genders and sexualities were not only accepted but traditions in many parts of the world. It was Westernisation that brought LGBTQ+ discrimination.

Even post-colonial non-Western countries often have better LGBTQ+ support, for various reasons. For instance, Iran accepts transgendered people, as they fit their interpretation of the Quran.

Admittedly, the West has in some areas gone further than its ex-colonies in renouncing the bigotry that it imposed.
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)

It's the same reason that there is an islamism problem in the West - the West is institutionally racist and alienates non-White citizens, who turn to extreme politics and sometimes even terrorism.

It would not surprise me to learn that autistic people are discriminated against too in the West, just as are LGBTQ+ and other people who don't fit the very narrow definition of "normal" that Western society revolves around.
As opposed to China, Russia, a lot of the Middle East etc. LGBT rights are fully protected in those places and minorities are not discriminated against at all...

Your posts are ridiculous.
BrexitPopulist
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Possibly but this is because they are oblivious to social pressures which are the partly why they are not mainstream.

Every autistic person I have met has been very liberal anecdotally
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You're basing this whole idea literally off of a couple of autistic people that you've met, and no academic evidence? Nice one.
BrexitPopulist
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)

So why do white people feel alienated in their home countries? What should be done about it?

Are you really saying that the idea of ‘normalcy’ is a western construct?

Have you ever considered that your post Marxist social justice narrative is a social construct? You
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by BrexitPopulist)
So why do white people feel alienated in their home countries? What should be done about it?

Are you really saying that the idea of ‘normalcy’ is a western construct?

Have you ever considered that your post Marxist social justice narrative is a social construct? You
White peopel don't feel alienated in their home countries. I certainly don't
Welshvisitor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Interesting, my autistic friend is extremely political - almost fanatical about it - he holds mainstream left wing views only.
BrexitPopulist
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
White peopel don't feel alienated in their home countries. I certainly don't
You need to get out more.

We are witnessing the rise of populism which is a manifestation of this- Brexit, Trump, Salvini etc
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
I'd be interested in finding some kind of data that backs my hypothesis up. I knew a boy at my school who was autistic. His social media was filled with posts glorifying Nazism and in general very right wing, anti immigrant etc. I've met other people online who are autistic and fascistic, and in the news recently a lot of neo nazis turn out to have autism to some degree. Greta thunberg is autisitc and many people would argue that her views are extreme (i wouldn't say they are extrreme, but they are very strong views for someone her age to be having and for her to be so passionate about them). Am I alone in thinking this? Please don't see this as a bash to autistic people because it's not, perhaps its their intelligence or something? I'm not a physcologist, so if any physcologists or people who study physcology here please feel free to answer
This is a joke right.

Greta is going around saying that our children are going to die and we should panic despite the fact that there is zero scientific evidence to support this extinction rubbish. Frankly if we are going to stop right wing commentators entering the UK, i would personally like to see Greta turned away at the border. Hell there are teens being treated for anxiety and saying they won't have children because of her.

Before the eco-warriors jump on me, yes i believe in climate change and would go further than the current government but no, if you believe that we are facing extinction then your a naive alarmist.
BrexitPopulist
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
This is a joke right.

Greta is going around saying that our children are going to die and we should panic despite the fact that there is zero scientific evidence to support this extinction rubbish. Frankly if we are going to stop right wing commentators entering the UK, i would personally like to see Greta turned away at the border. Hell there are teens being treated for anxiety and saying they won't have children because of her.

Before the eco-warriors jump on me, yes i believe in climate change and would go further than the current government but no, if you believe that we are facing extinction then your a naive alarmist.
A few centuries ago Greta and her Ilk would have been screaming that we need to burn more witches ago. Nothing’s changed.
Sammylou40
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
I don't think so.

Some autistic people may be lacking in reserve and less inclined to word their opinions & questions tactfully- because they don't foresee the potential to generate a negative reaction in other people.
Others may be so desperate for any social interaction that they are willing to interact with horrid people without any awareness that the individuals are promoting vicious conspiracy theories or vile lies that are motivated solely by race hate.
I agree

my son is an aspie but has no extreme political views. He’s entirely mainstream. He is however always willing to voice his opinion!
looloo2134
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
I don't think so.

An autistic person I meet watched a program and it made her think that were homeless females than male even those she walk passed about 10 homeless men each day and no women. She watched a program with a family on benefit getting a house and though all the people on benefits go flats even those she got benefits and didn't get given a flat.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (50)
18.59%
Labour (108)
40.15%
Liberal Democrats (56)
20.82%
Green Party (16)
5.95%
Brexit Party (7)
2.6%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.49%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.86%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)