Unpaid placement funding when I have a dependant

Watch
Lyr_03
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm on placement next year and have just found out it's really likely it'll be unpaid. Thought it'd be fine I'll still get a maintenance loan... Wrong. I've spoken to everyone I can at uni, they're not letting me skip placement year and one lady cheerfully told me not to worry, there was a grant that'd help me locally yet upon further inspection, I don't live within in the radius to qualify and even if I did, the grant amount is a max of a grand. I would work around it but I have a small child and rent so can't just not get paid for a 40hr weeks for 40 weeks. Really not sure what to do and considering dropping out now as I'm only 2 weeks in to 2nd year or at the end of the year. I'm not the only one on my course in a bit of a panic as going home and being funded by parents isn't an option for several of us yet that is exactly what the uni are expecting us to do... Any help?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lyr_03)
I'm on placement next year and have just found out it's really likely it'll be unpaid. Thought it'd be fine I'll still get a maintenance loan... Wrong. I've spoken to everyone I can at uni, they're not letting me skip placement year and one lady cheerfully told me not to worry, there was a grant that'd help me locally yet upon further inspection, I don't live within in the radius to qualify and even if I did, the grant amount is a max of a grand. I would work around it but I have a small child and rent so can't just not get paid for a 40hr weeks for 40 weeks. Really not sure what to do and considering dropping out now as I'm only 2 weeks in to 2nd year or at the end of the year. I'm not the only one on my course in a bit of a panic as going home and being funded by parents isn't an option for several of us yet that is exactly what the uni are expecting us to do... Any help?
Placements shouldn't be unpaid! Which degree is this? Placements are really hard to find at the moment so many people give up looking and skip that. You need to investigate further as this doesn't sound correct - go and see student services.
Lyr_03
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Placements shouldn't be unpaid! Which degree is this? Placements are really hard to find at the moment so many people give up looking and skip that. You need to investigate further as this doesn't sound correct - go and see student services.
I've spoken to student services, the placement officer and Ask [my uni] services, I don't know why they're insisting on the placement year as so few Universities do so for the degree subject (Law). They said there are some paid placements, but mostly in other parts of the country ie. London, but moving out of town for 9 months isn't an option, and the few local placements are "highly competitive", and to be entirely honest I don't have a very interesting CV. They're really pushing volunteering roles with the local CAB for those of us who need to remain local.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've spoken to student services, the placement officer and Ask [my uni] services, I don't know why they're insisting on the placement year as so few Universities do so for the degree subject (Law). They said there are some paid placements, but mostly in other parts of the country ie. London, but moving out of town for 9 months isn't an option, and the few local placements are "highly competitive", and to be entirely honest I don't have a very interesting CV. They're really pushing volunteering roles with the local CAB for those of us who need to remain local.
Which websites have you searched for placements?
Lyr_03
Rep:
?
Which websites have you searched for placements?
The only place I can actually find any locally is on the Uni's careers page, I'm not in a city or even a large town so I'm not surprised. Upon further digging, it's only placements under 12 weeks or charity/volunteer roles that the Uni allows to be unpaid but most of the local roles seem to be with charities.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The only place I can actually find any locally is on the Uni's careers page, I'm not in a city or even a large town so I'm not surprised. Upon further digging, it's only placements under 12 weeks or charity/volunteer roles that the Uni allows to be unpaid but most of the local roles seem to be with charities.
The uni should be doing much more to help you if they insist you do a placement ... try some of the national websites like Gradcracker, Targetjobs, Rate my placement, Indeed, etc
Lyr_03
Rep:
?
The uni should be doing much more to help you if they insist you do a placement ... try some of the national websites like Gradcracker, Targetjobs, Rate my placement, Indeed, etc
Thanks, I'll have a proper look tomorrow! Some positions are posted later in the year so all is not lost, but a huge eyebrow raise at the whole thing and how little they seem to have really thought about it. They are very proud that they have a mandatory placement year but the support is lacking for sure
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks, I'll have a proper look tomorrow! Some positions are posted later in the year so all is not lost, but a huge eyebrow raise at the whole thing and how little they seem to have really thought about it. They are very proud that they have a mandatory placement year but the support is lacking for sure
Yes it doesn't sound very flexible and there could be grounds for claiming discrimination ...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
62.08%
I don't have everything I need (91)
37.92%

Watched Threads