The Student Room Group

From what age can children clean up after themselves?

for example if a kid makes a huge 120% level mess food on the ceiling, ketchup and juice on the floor, around what age are they actually able to clean it all up by themselves?

what do you think?
My nephew is 3 years old and usually cleans up after himself so imma go with 3
Do you mean at what age do they have the motor skills to do it or at what age do they understand the moral concept of cleaning up their own mess?
Original post by black tea
Do you mean at what age do they have the motor skills to do it or at what age do they understand the moral concept of cleaning up their own mess?

I think mainly motor skills to clean up a huge mess they make. (like a tornado and tsunami in a kitchen etc.) like if they're actually able to handle such a huge task.
It depends on the individual child.
My friend's 5 year old nephew always cleans up after himself, his baby brother and his father's epilepsy assistance dog.
I know a few 12-15 year olds and even more people in their 20s who never even think about tidying up the mess that they have made. :rolleyes:
Reply 5
My current flatmates must be around 21 as they are freshers- and I can tell you that they don't know how to clean.
Original post by OR321
My nephew is 3 years old and usually cleans up after himself so imma go with 3

do you think if he trashed the bathroom completely, would he be able to handle cleaning it all up?
Original post by Leviathan1611
do you think if he trashed the bathroom completely, would he be able to handle cleaning it all up?

Tbh, he’s always been a natural clean freak tbh 😂. He would clean it up but I most definitely would end up helping him coz he’s literally one of my favourite people 😂 but also he never makes crazy amounts of mess, even unsupervised
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by OR321
Tbh, he’s always been a natural clean freak tbh 😂. He would clean it up but I most definitely would end up helping him coz he’s literally one of my favourite people 😂

sounds like a great human👍
Original post by R1C3
My current flatmates must be around 21 as they are freshers- and I can tell you that they don't know how to clean.

makes you wonder what their parents were teaching them.
I think mainly motor skills to clean up a huge mess they make. (like a tornado and tsunami in a kitchen etc.) like if they're actually able to handle such a huge task.

To clean up a big mess well, I would say 9-10.
should know by 5/6
Original post by black tea
To clean up a big mess well, I would say 9-10.

cool. thanks for your response 😄
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
should know by 5/6

would you say they're physically/mentally capable of cleaning up a huge mess by themselves at that age?
would you say they're physically/mentally capable of cleaning up a huge mess by themselves at that age?

meant small things like putting things back etc. - would expect them to be 9/10 before massive spills or even then an adult should really help
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
meant small things like putting things back etc. - would expect them to be 9/10 before massive spills or even then an adult should really help

cool, thank you for your response😄
makes you wonder what their parents were teaching them.

Or maybe they are relishing the joy that is the freedom to be messy or not in your own space, free of parental nagging?
40 year old because now days it about that age when a lot of people even with well paying jobs get their first home and move out their family home.
They'll need a bit of help but I reckon a 7 year old could handle the type of mess you describe. Not gonna be able to solo tackle that unless they've been taught a bit about cleaning and aren't going to do a terrible job, so more like 10-11.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending