The Student Room Group

Most efficient way to get accpetance as independent student

Scenario.

Applying for finance. Granted ILR.
Parents are dead and died in conflict in a country you have left as a refugee.

You'll be classed as independent if:

you have no living parents

you’ve supported yourself for at least three years before the start of your course

you’ve not communicated with your parents for one year before the start of the academic year that you’re applying for student finance, or you can demonstrate you’re permanently estranged from your parents

If the person is an orphan and the parents died in a conflict country. then what is the most straightforward way of getting independent status? Obviously by proving no living parents, but as they died in a country thousands of miles away getting death certificates is not straightforward.

They might in fact have supported themselves for three years but proving may be problematic if they have lived on the streets etc.

I am thinking the best/ most effective way might be to get a social worker to verify this and write a letter in support? Can you offer any guidance on what documents will do in such a scenario so this person can start planning on what to collect. They could have this verified by their college and to a certain extent the DWP. Am not sure the Home office could verify although they could supply their ILR document.

Any ideas or guidance appreciated. Thank you.
Original post by 999tigger
Scenario.

Applying for finance. Granted ILR.
Parents are dead and died in conflict in a country you have left as a refugee.

You'll be classed as independent if:

you have no living parents

you’ve supported yourself for at least three years before the start of your course

you’ve not communicated with your parents for one year before the start of the academic year that you’re applying for student finance, or you can demonstrate you’re permanently estranged from your parents

If the person is an orphan and the parents died in a conflict country. then what is the most straightforward way of getting independent status? Obviously by proving no living parents, but as they died in a country thousands of miles away getting death certificates is not straightforward.

They might in fact have supported themselves for three years but proving may be problematic if they have lived on the streets etc.

I am thinking the best/ most effective way might be to get a social worker to verify this and write a letter in support? Can you offer any guidance on what documents will do in such a scenario so this person can start planning on what to collect. They could have this verified by their college and to a certain extent the DWP. Am not sure the Home office could verify although they could supply their ILR document.

Any ideas or guidance appreciated. Thank you.

Hi there,

If the student is not able to provide death certificates for both parent's then we can accept a written letter from a professional person on headed paper confirming the situation and that parent's have passed away.

Thanks, Erin
Reply 2
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi there,

If the student is not able to provide death certificates for both parent's then we can accept a written letter from a professional person on headed paper confirming the situation and that parent's have passed away.

Thanks, Erin

Would a letter from the school be good enough?

I am thinking the fallback is a letter from a social worker? If school is acceptable then that would be easier. I will check to see if there is any Home Office correspondence.

Thanks.
Original post by 999tigger
Would a letter from the school be good enough?

I am thinking the fallback is a letter from a social worker? If school is acceptable then that would be easier. I will check to see if there is any Home Office correspondence.

Thanks.

Hi there,

Yes a letter from a teacher/lecturer would be fine. As long as this was on headed paper, signed and dated. It would need to explain the circumstances as well as why you aren't able to get the death certificates.

Thanks, Erin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending