Should bikini segment be allowed in pageant competitions? Watch

nanachan123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
in miss world, where woman are from different countries and hence have different beliefs/moral codes. Instead of celebrating the beliefs these woman have, the judge force them to fit into the western standard of beauty. I am sure there are many other ways a woman can show she is fit, bikini does nothing but sexualise them
dyingstudent101
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I do agree. The bikini segment seems unnecessary and inappropriate.
Apachecow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you don't want to wear a bikini, don't enter miss world

In the same way, if you can't sing don't go on X factor and if you won't wear green don't apply for a job in ASDA.

You know what you are getting into - it's a contest judging (amongst other things) the contestants bodies.
nanachan123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Apachecow)
If you don't want to wear a bikini, don't enter miss world

In the same way, if you can't sing don't go on X factor and if you won't wear green don't apply for a job in ASDA.

You know what you are getting into - it's a contest judging (amongst other things) the contestants bodies.
miss world/universe celebrates woman with a purpose. What does wearing bikini have to do with anything apart from sexualising woman? Why does someone who is passionate about a certain cause have to show her skin to be relevant? Ps You have to be fit before you enter these competitions so the fitness criteria is already fulfilled.
Apachecow
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nanachan123)
miss world/universe celebrates woman with a purpose. What does wearing bikini have to do with anything apart from sexualising woman? Why does someone who is passionate about a certain cause have to show her skin to be relevant? Ps You have to be fit before you enter these competitions so the fitness criteria is already fulfilled.
It's fundamentally a beauty contest. You are judged on your body. It's not about causes.

As I say, if it's not your thing - keep walking. No one is forcing anyone into it
Welshvisitor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It’s a person’s choice to participate. Miss World is do f-ing 70s and cringeworthy I’m surprised it’s still going. Who the hell would want to compete in sexist rubbish ??
scorpion95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you don't like it don't watch or don't participate in it. I don't have a problem with the swimsuit/bikini round if they are happy to do it then who are you to tell them they can't. I never have seen the point of the whole miss world thing and don't see why it happens, I think I have caught a bit on tv once in the past.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
in miss world, where woman are from different countries and hence have different beliefs/moral codes. Instead of celebrating the beliefs these woman have, the judge force them to fit into the western standard of beauty. I am sure there are many other ways a woman can show she is fit, bikini does nothing but sexualise them
Isn't that what beauty contests are about? :rolleyes:
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Miss World and similar contests are about as outdated as tv programmes such as Til Death us do Part or Love thy Neighbour.
nanachan123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by scorpion95)
If you don't like it don't watch or don't participate in it. I don't have a problem with the swimsuit/bikini round if they are happy to do it then who are you to tell them they can't. I never have seen the point of the whole miss world thing and don't see why it happens, I think I have caught a bit on tv once in the past.
The problem is some woman have no choice but to participate in this segment. Woman can't choose, they either have to do it or leave it and if you look at miss world, there are woman from countries where bikini is not a normal thing.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The problem is some woman have no choice but to participate in this segment. Woman can't choose, they either have to do it or leave it and if you look at miss world, there are woman from countries where bikini is not a normal thing.
They can choose not to participate in beauty contests...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (89)
66.42%
No (45)
33.58%

Watched Threads