The Student Room Group

French or Politics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yzanne
Personally, I studied French for AS and can safely say that it is a huge step up. I don't know much about politics but I would say that overall it's up to personal choice. Politics goes well with English and History, but French is so so valuable to employers, simply because its another language.

If you want to do travel journalism, I would say French is a safe bet - Politics doesn't sound so relevant to me for what career path you want to take. Having done up to French AS, I can speak, read and hear French adequately and understand what they are saying. You become more fluent than you realise!

Did you get any help with the step up? How difficult was it?
Original post by Purplemonkeys
Did you get any help with the step up? How difficult was it?

It was pretty difficult for me, but it can really vary dependent on the type of person you are. I didn't listen that much in Year 11 and didn't understand what was really going on so in Year 12 we spent a lot of it just making up for lost time whilst trying to learn the Year 12 content (which there is a lot of!). Keep working on it by yourself and you have to be independent with your learning so you stay on track.

It's not super difficult, but my teachers put a lot of pressure on me and I couldn't really handle it, it made my mental health horrible. Now, the year 13 teachers are lovely and although I dropped it, I would've done it this year. It's just like any other A level really - you have to be prepared for a lot of hard work! :yep:
Reply 22
English Literature was better back when it covered non-British works. English is a language, not just a dialect spoken in England, and American works from the 19th and 20th Century have more in common with the English we use in Britain today today than a Shakespeare play written 4-500 years ago. The modern British dialect didn't really come about until the 1940s.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest