The Student Room Group

Is a degree really worth doing if I don’t what I want to be?

Hi guys, I was just wondering if a degree is still worth all the time and money it’s made out to be. I have no clue what job I want to do and I’m in my last year of A levels and sort of staring to panic about if uni is for me. My parents just keep saying “it’s up to you” so they aren’t really much help and keep bragging how “we never went to uni and we did well” and to be fair, we do live a very good life. Will not getting a degree really effect my life to the scale that the internet really makes out to be or should I just look for a job and work upwards....
Wait until you yearn to do something. Or it’s like putting a pin in a prospectus while blindfolded. Nothing good will come out of it.
Well, if you are not sure what you want to do at uni yet you could always take a gap year, and explore different pathways.

Also, you should remember that unless you do are planning on doing a vocational degree like dentistry or engineering then your degree subject wont limit you so much regarding career plans as most jobs don't require specific jobs. Of course if you wanted to be a physics lecturer you wouldn't do an English degree.

Going to university isn't the only option though, many people do apprenticeships and stuff and have perfectly good lives.

These websites give some further advice: https://www.youthemployment.org.uk/yp-article/what-to-do-after-a-levels-apprenticeships-degree-job/

https://www.ucas.com/what-are-my-options
Reply 3
I left school not knowing 100% what i wanted to do so I went straight into work, over the past few years I've worked in fashion, for a community drug team, hotel work, investment banking and for a housing company. They were all interesting jobs but nothing that I wanted to do for the rest of my life, I would have made money but I wouldn't have enjoyed it. So I applied to university and got in this year for a course I really want to do and a career I know I want to do.

If you don't know if university is for you or what you want to do for the rest of your life, take time out and try different things. It doesn't matter if you go to university now or in 2 or 5 years time or never. As long as you do what you will enjoy.

On a side note, there are many people on my course who have gone to university just because it was a next step and they're doing a course just for the sake of it. I would see that as more of a waste of time then taking time out to do other things. :smile:

Good Luck!
sociology at north shields vs law at oxford is a classic itsmith comparison
Reply 5
Original post by Abi75
I left school not knowing 100% what i wanted to do so I went straight into work, over the past few years I've worked in fashion, for a community drug team, hotel work, investment banking and for a housing company. They were all interesting jobs but nothing that I wanted to do for the rest of my life, I would have made money but I wouldn't have enjoyed it. So I applied to university and got in this year for a course I really want to do and a career I know I want to do.

If you don't know if university is for you or what you want to do for the rest of your life, take time out and try different things. It doesn't matter if you go to university now or in 2 or 5 years time or never. As long as you do what you will enjoy.

On a side note, there are many people on my course who have gone to university just because it was a next step and they're doing a course just for the sake of it. I would see that as more of a waste of time then taking time out to do other things. :smile:

Good Luck!

Did you do the real investment banking like being a financial analyst or what exactly?? Please explain if u can
Reply 6
The answer is no... in most cases a degree isn't worth the paper its written on.

I got a 1st and many others got 1st / 2:1s and didn't get anywhere in the graduate jobs market.

I interviewed at an engineering consultancy and was told that employers are now targeting school leavers and not graduates, as school leavers can be "moulded" to the companies image.

The best degrees are nursing, dentistry, social work etc.
Original post by Chodelton
Hi guys, I was just wondering if a degree is still worth all the time and money it’s made out to be. I have no clue what job I want to do and I’m in my last year of A levels and sort of staring to panic about if uni is for me. My parents just keep saying “it’s up to you” so they aren’t really much help and keep bragging how “we never went to uni and we did well” and to be fair, we do live a very good life. Will not getting a degree really effect my life to the scale that the internet really makes out to be or should I just look for a job and work upwards....

Most people don’t know what they want to do once they leave uni. I suppose, it depends on what kind of degree ur thinking of doing- some degrees will set u up for life, others won’t.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending