User10001000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys,

I’m an Eu student currently planning on applying to 5 Scottish universities for an undergraduate degree in economics. My marks are pretty good, and I’ll probably be predicted around 90% in my final exam (which is comparable to AAB/ABB at A-levels).

The Universities I intend to apply to are the University of Edinburgh, the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow University, the University of Aberdeen and the University of Dundee (with Strathclyde being my firm choice)

Now from the information I could find, it seems like it’s harder to get into a Scottish Uni being an Eu student, so I was wondering if you guys could tell me what my odds at getting into any of those Universities are.
MarcosTheories
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by User10001000)
Hey guys,

I’m an Eu student currently planning on applying to 5 Scottish universities for an undergraduate degree in economics. My marks are pretty good, and I’ll probably be predicted around 90% in my final exam (which is comparable to AAB/ABB at A-levels).

The Universities I intend to apply to are the University of Edinburgh, the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow University, the University of Aberdeen and the University of Dundee (with Strathclyde being my firm choice)

Now from the information I could find, it seems like it’s harder to get into a Scottish Uni being an Eu student, so I was wondering if you guys could tell me what my odds at getting into any of those Universities are.
I strongly advise you to consider applying to a university outside of Scotland, for the sake of you potentially being outright rejected by all five universities if they have filled up their number of EU students. The entire thing is a sham, as an EU student applying to St Andrew's myself, I was treated horribly by admissions who would not tell me my fee status prior to applying. I have a friend who applied to Oxford, Durham, Warwick and St Andrews as an EU student. Was accepted into every other uni but St Andrews. Do not take the risk and apply to five in Scotland! Check out Warwick, Bath, Nottingham if you want to study Economics at a very high calibre.
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi User10001000,

That's such great predicted grades, well done! Best of luck with your final exam results

We are very lucky here in Scotland that our funding is supplied for any Scottish/EU students but as a consequence of this we are capped for the amount of students we can take through this entry route, this is a Government requirement, so it does mean that entry into university can be very competitive. Unfortunately this is true when it comes to applying to any institution. What I would say is that you should always consider all of your options and make sure that when submitting your UCAS choices that you would be happy to attend any of the 5 you submit and to not base this on "how likely" you are to get in. Ultimately you want to attend a university that you will enjoy studying at .

Karen Robley
University of Strathclyde Official Rep.
User10001000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Strathclyde)
Hi User10001000,

That's such great predicted grades, well done! Best of luck with your final exam results

We are very lucky here in Scotland that our funding is supplied for any Scottish/EU students but as a consequence of this we are capped for the amount of students we can take through this entry route, this is a Government requirement, so it does mean that entry into university can be very competitive. Unfortunately this is true when it comes to applying to any institution. What I would say is that you should always consider all of your options and make sure that when submitting your UCAS choices that you would be happy to attend any of the 5 you submit and to not base this on "how likely" you are to get in. Ultimately you want to attend a university that you will enjoy studying at .

Karen Robley
Thanks for the reply University of Strathclyde !

There’s a lot of Universities in Scotland that seem to offer really good Economic courses but your University is honestly the one that has inspired me the most from the feedbacks I could find online and for having the reputation of being an innovative and forward looking institution.

I get what you say, but in the end I don’t want to be rejected from all the universities I apply to, so I think that having one or two insurance choices meaning unis that I’m more likely to get into and where I think I would still have a great time studying at (knowing this would mean coming to a trade off between entry requirements and courses quality) is the best option for me right now.
Mirai609
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You might want to have an insurance choice from the rUK. Preferably, it would be one that sends out offers fast so you could have some peace of mind (like Bristol, for example). You might wanna check out applicants threads from previous years to see what grades people who were accepted got and when they received their offer.
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by User10001000)
Thanks for the reply University of Strathclyde !

There’s a lot of Universities in Scotland that seem to offer really good Economic courses but your University is honestly the one that has inspired me the most from the feedbacks I could find online and for having the reputation of being an innovative and forward looking institution.

I get what you say, but in the end I don’t want to be rejected from all the universities I apply to, so I think that having one or two insurance choices meaning unis that I’m more likely to get into and where I think I would still have a great time studying at (knowing this would mean coming to a trade off between entry requirements and courses quality) is the best option for me right now.
Hey!

I'm so glad to hear that you like the look of our Economics course, I'm sure you'd have a great time here with us!

It sounds as though you have done lots of research which is great so I'm sure you'll make the decision that you feel is right for you! Best of luck and hopefully we will see you on campus in the near future!

Karen Robley
Admit-One
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MarcosTheories)
I was treated horribly by admissions who would not tell me my fee status prior to applying.
Almost no University in the UK will complete a fee assessment prior to receiving a completed application, (I've only heard of one). It's really up to you to have a good idea as to how you'll be classified.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

what's your favourite season?

Summer (62)
32.29%
Spring (36)
18.75%
Autumn/Fall (48)
25%
Winter (36)