do u get full funding of tuition fees in ur second year? Watch

makeup
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Also want to transfer for the same course just at a diff uni for 2nd year. Do I get the full £9250 for the 2nd&3rd year?
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by makeup)
Also want to transfer for the same course just at a diff uni for 2nd year. Do I get the full £9250 for the 2nd&3rd year?
Hello,

If you have completed only your first year of university and are transferring into the second year you would still receive the same amount of a tuition fee for the second and third year.

In your final year of university you will receive slightly less of a maintenance loan due to the fact you are not continuing on for another year.

I hope this helps.

Patrick :lep:
makeup
Rep:
?
(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hello,

If you have completed only your first year of university and are transferring into the second year you would still receive the same amount of a tuition fee for the second and third year.

In your final year of university you will receive slightly less of a maintenance loan due to the fact you are not continuing on for another year.

I hope this helps.

Hello, I'm currently a first year at uni however I'm going to transfer to another uni for the same course(as I don't live living away). It's the same course just at a diff uni-do I still get the full tuition fees? & maintenance isn't an issue as I will be commuting for my 2nd&3rd year x
makeup
Rep:
?
Hello,

I hope this helps.

But out of curiosity why would U get less m loan, if in ur final year your still living in accom?
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But out of curiosity why would U get less m loan, if in ur final year your still living in accom?
Hello,

So Tuition Fees loan amounts are not affected by changing university so do not be concerned about that just make sure Student Finance are aware that you are swapping university.

If you lived outside the parental home in your first year and are living at home in your second year you will get less than first year as it is to be assumed you will not need more for rent etc.

In your third year regardless of living at home or away you will receive less (not too much less) in your final payment as it is effectively not covering your summer period as you will have finished your studies.

Hopefully this clarifies everything for you, if not be sure to pop a question over

Last edited by Liverpool Hope University; 1 month ago
makeup
Rep:
?
Hello,

So Tuition Fees loan amounts are not affected by changing university so do not be concerned about that just make sure Student Finance are aware that you are swapping university.

If you lived outside the parental home in your first year and are living at home in your second year you will get less than first year as it is to be assumed you will not need more for rent etc.

In your third year regardless of living at home or away you will receive less (not too much less) in your final payment as it is effectively not covering your summer period as you will have finished your studies.

Hopefully this clarifies everything for you, if not be sure to pop a question over

How do I make sf aware of it? Thing is I'm planning to send my application in for 2nd year at the other uni soon even though it won't make a diff as the t&c will state I need my transcripts which I'll only get at the end of first year(after my first year exams are done-do u know how long it takes for uni results to come to me for first year?) & do u think it'll affect me academically by changing?

Yes I may not even apply for a m loan next year as my parents/myself can cover the travel costs anyway but I may apply for the lowest m loan(highest id get is £7,500 so still an awful lot) hopefully I pass my driving test next summer so can just drive to uni everyday as the uni I want to commute to is very close(not my home town one as that isn't pulling me but the town next to me).

& ohhh got it, doesn't that mean accommodation contracts are shorter?
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How do I make sf aware of it? Thing is I'm planning to send my application in for 2nd year at the other uni soon even though it won't make a diff as the t&c will state I need my transcripts which I'll only get at the end of first year(after my first year exams are done-do u know how long it takes for uni results to come to me for first year?) & do u think it'll affect me academically by changing?

Yes I may not even apply for a m loan next year as my parents/myself can cover the travel costs anyway but I may apply for the lowest m loan(highest id get is £7,500 so still an awful lot) hopefully I pass my driving test next summer so can just drive to uni everyday as the uni I want to commute to is very close(not my home town one as that isn't pulling me but the town next to me).

& ohhh got it, doesn't that mean accommodation contracts are shorter?
Hi there

I've blocked these off in sections so it should be easier to read

Transferring to preferred university
Not to make life any more difficult but if you have just started as a first year at your university this September you might still be able to transfer to your university of choice and begin there this year. As you can see from this link clearing is still open until the 23rd October so if you were to get into contact with your preferred university you could see if they would accept you with your A levels.

If they will accept you then you would need to contact your current university and explain the situation, once the ball is rolling then you will need to get in touch with student finance and they will most likely advise you to fill in a form to update any details.

If you cannot join into the first year this year then you would need to apply via UCAS indicating second year entry to your preferred university and follow the same protocol as you did this year. When applying to student finance for the second year you will need to fill in the form as normal but advise them the university has changed. So long as the course is the same length of time this should not pose as an issue.

Accommodation
Accommodation contracts aren't necessarily shorter but it is that the additional loan amount was to tide you over the summer period however as you will be finished studying ceasing to be a student in the June and a graduate then you will not need that funding as you can apply for work etc.

Maintenance Loan
Also not to sway a decision for you or go against any advice given but I would look at potentially making use of the maintenance loan in the following years. Although you should be able to survive without it the maintenance loan if living at home is still very useful to have as it limits the amount of time you may need to work outside of study and the monthly repayment of the loan per month after finishing your studies is not affected by how big of a loan you took out but rather how much you earn after.

If you are receiving funding from SF - England you need to earn over £25,725 (before tax) in order to begin repaying the loan and even if you do earn over that amount it is only ever 9% of the amount over what you earn. For example, if you earn £27,000 a year (£2,250 a month) that is only £9 a month that you would pay back and if your income dips below £25,725 you will no longer have to pay any monthly payments until it goes over that amount again. If you want more information check out this link - Repayments.

Hopefully all that is useful, I know you didn't really ask about the maintenance loan but I just thought I would include that information should you be unaware about it.

Once again should you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll try to be as helpful as possible!

Last edited by Liverpool Hope University; 1 month ago
makeup
Rep:
?
Hi there

I've blocked these off in sections so it should be easier to read

Transferring to preferred university
Not to make life any more difficult but if you have just started as a first year at your university this September you might still be able to transfer to your university of choice and begin there this year. As you can see from this link clearing is still open until the 23rd October so if you were to get into contact with your preferred university you could see if they would accept you with your A levels.

If they will accept you then you would need to contact your current university and explain the situation, once the ball is rolling then you will need to get in touch with student finance and they will most likely advise you to fill in a form to update any details.

If you cannot join into the first year this year then you would need to apply via UCAS indicating second year entry to your preferred university and follow the same protocol as you did this year. When applying to student finance for the second year you will need to fill in the form as normal but advise them the university has changed. So long as the course is the same length of time this should not pose as an issue.

Accommodation
Accommodation contracts aren't necessarily shorter but it is that the additional loan amount was to tide you over the summer period however as you will be finished studying ceasing to be a student in the June and a graduate then you will not need that funding as you can apply for work etc.

Maintenance Loan
Also not to sway a decision for you or go against any advice given but I would look at potentially making use of the maintenance loan in the following years. Although you should be able to survive without it the maintenance loan if living at home is still very useful to have as it limits the amount of time you may need to work outside of study and the monthly repayment of the loan per month after finishing your studies is not affected by how big of a loan you took out but rather how much you earn after.

If you are receiving funding from SF - England you need to earn over £25,725 (before tax) in order to begin repaying the loan and even if you do earn over that amount it is only ever 9% of the amount over what you earn. For example, if you earn £27,000 a year (£2,250 a month) that is only £9 a month that you would pay back and if your income dips below £25,725 you will no longer have to pay any monthly payments until it goes over that amount again. If you want more information check out this link - Repayments.

Hopefully all that is useful, I know you didn't really ask about the maintenance loan but I just thought I would include that information should you be unaware about it.

Once again should you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll try to be as helpful as possible!

Hey, thanks for the detailed reply!

In regards to transferring this year, I did try to transfer this year & whilst my preferred uni gave me an offer and will let me enrol into their course for this year, my current uni is due to take my first instalment of tuition fees on the 16th of October. I have emailed&phoned saying will I still have to pay for the time I spent here & they're still following up my query however it's due to be taken in a day so unless they say no I don't have to pay tmo I will have to & will have to stay there for a year as I won't have the money to pay my preferred uni due to them taking the first instalment. They've taught me for a month so im assuming they would wanna get paid. Had I had done this a few weeks ago i would've been able to transfer but I was told by someone u could only change after a year so I didn't acc look into it myself sf say that I need to contact my uni who would sort everything out lol. & great! Yes my course is the same length, so it won't be a hassle next year

& oh I see I thought u had to start repaying ur student l after u earn over £21k?

Thank u so much you've been a great help!
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, thanks for the detailed reply!

In regards to transferring this year, I did try to transfer this year & whilst my preferred uni gave me an offer and will let me enrol into their course for this year, my current uni is due to take my first instalment of tuition fees on the 16th of October. I have emailed&phoned saying will I still have to pay for the time I spent here & they're still following up my query however it's due to be taken in a day so unless they say no I don't have to pay tmo I will have to & will have to stay there for a year as I won't have the money to pay my preferred uni due to them taking the first instalment. They've taught me for a month so im assuming they would wanna get paid. Had I had done this a few weeks ago i would've been able to transfer but I was told by someone u could only change after a year so I didn't acc look into it myself sf say that I need to contact my uni who would sort everything out lol. & great! Yes my course is the same length, so it won't be a hassle next year

& oh I see I thought u had to start repaying ur student l after u earn over £21k?

Thank u so much you've been a great help!
Hi there makeup

As my colleague says, definitely get the ball rolling on talking to your current university about transferring and ensure you maintain contact with SF whilst this is ongoing so you can transfer as smoothly as possible.

The repayment threshold has been increased, so now it's higher with you needing to repay anything over £25,725 (before tax) instead of the lower threshold of £21,000.

I hope this helps and please message us if there's anything else we can answer for you.

Fi :horse:
makeup
Rep:
?
Hi there makeup

As my colleague says, definitely get the ball rolling on talking to your current university about transferring and ensure you maintain contact with SF whilst this is ongoing so you can transfer as smoothly as possible.

The repayment threshold has been increased, so now it's higher with you needing to repay anything over £25,725 (before tax) instead of the lower threshold of £21,000.

I hope this helps and please message us if there's anything else we can answer for you.

Hi, my personal tutor knows & I think the law faculty know too but should I start my application for transferring next year. My preferred uni have said I can apply via ucas now for next year & all i have to do from my current uni is fill in a basic withdrawal form & then give my transcript to my preferred uni.
How do I maintain contact with sf as on my account it says I just need to contact my current uni & I've already started the course.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, my personal tutor knows & I think the law faculty know too but should I start my application for transferring next year. My preferred uni have said I can apply via ucas now for next year & all i have to do from my current uni is fill in a basic withdrawal form & then give my transcript to my preferred uni.
How do I maintain contact with sf as on my account it says I just need to contact my current uni & I've already started the course.
Hi there makeup

If you're definitely looking at transferring for your next academic year and your preferred university has said to apply through UCAS then you can definitely look at starting the ball rolling on what actions you need to do to move. This way, you can complete any forms without rushing and be prepared for starting your next year at your preferred university. Once you are conformed at your new university, you can start updating your SF details so they then receive the correct SF fees.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (27)
22.69%
Unconditional if firmed (6)
5.04%
Unconditional if insurance (1)
0.84%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (1)
0.84%
No unconditional offers (84)
70.59%

Watched Threads