Drove through Amber Light... Watch

DancinBallerina
Badges: 20
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi,

I feel incredibly stupid for this but I went through an Amber light. My decision making was if I had slowed down the car behind me would have gone into the back of me. I had time to keep driving, so I did. As I passed the light, it was still Amber. And there was a camera positioned, near the lights.

Now worrying, I’ll get a ticket and points.

Help! 😕
Last edited by DancinBallerina; 4 months ago
Popsicle_pirate
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You only have to stop for amber if it appears before you cross the line at the junction (and not if doing so means you need to break so sharply it could cause an accident). Stop overthinking!
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by DancinBallerina)
Hi,

I feel incredibly stupid for this but I went through an Amber light. My decision making was if I had slowed down the car behind me would have gone into the back of me. I had time to keep driving, so I did. As I passed the light, it was still Amber.

Help! 😕
You're fine. If it isn't safe for you to slow down and stop at an amber light then you shouldn't stop. Typically, though, the light stays amber for long enough for drivers to be able to safely stop. But if you were too close to the line when it changed to amber and therefore it would have been unsafe for you to stop, you were correct to keep going. It wasn't a red light, so you won't get a ticket or anything.
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi,

I feel incredibly stupid for this but I went through an Amber light. My decision making was if I had slowed down the car behind me would have gone into the back of me. I had time to keep driving, so I did. As I passed the light, it was still Amber.

Help! 😕
Can you give me a street view link of the area?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi,

Help! 😕
Shock! Horror! Crime of the century! Oh.. wait.. it's not a crime.. because you haven't done anything wrong.....
username4499734
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
My mum has sped through red lights many times and ain’t nothing happened.....yet
andyhong
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi,

Help! 😕
PMSL I do this literally every day, you're fine even if there was a red light camera you would have got away. I live in London and people run red lights almost every 20 minutes.... even granny run amber lights here youre honestly fine trust me... especially if its amber
lia_r18
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I literally always drive through lights when they try to turn amber on me - I wouldn't be getting anywhere anytime soon otherwise.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Amber means go faster... doesn't it?
DancinBallerina
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
You're fine. If it isn't safe for you to slow down and stop at an amber light then you shouldn't stop. Typically, though, the light stays amber for long enough for drivers to be able to safely stop. But if you were too close to the line when it changed to amber and therefore it would have been unsafe for you to stop, you were correct to keep going. It wasn't a red light, so you won't get a ticket or anything.
(Original post by andyhong)
PMSL I do this literally every day, you're fine even if there was a red light camera you would have got away. I live in London and people run red lights almost every 20 minutes.... even granny run amber lights here youre honestly fine trust me... especially if its amber
(Original post by OR321)
My mum has sped through red lights many times and ain’t nothing happened.....yet
(Original post by IWMTom)
Shock! Horror! Crime of the century! Oh.. wait.. it's not a crime.. because you haven't done anything wrong.....
(Original post by Popsicle_pirate)
You only have to stop for amber if it appears before you cross the line at the junction (and not if doing so means you need to break so sharply it could cause an accident). Stop overthinking!
I should add - there was a camera near the lights!! So that’s why I’m a little panicky! But the lights were definitely Amber when I passed it, and crossed the line.
AdamCor
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I should add - there was a camera near the lights!! So that’s why I’m a little panicky! But the lights were definitely Amber when I passed it, and crossed the line.
Green light - go
Amber light - stop if safe
Red light - stop

If you pass an amber light then you're fine, the entire reason we have an amber light is to stop people slamming on their brakes and causing accidents. So you have nothing to worry about.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
My bugbear is those who approach a pelican and even though have had ample time to cross the road beforehand... jab at the button just as I get there. I suggest a sharp rap with a crowbar on the knuckles.
DancinBallerina
(Original post by AdamCor)
Green light - go
Red light - stop

If you pass an amber light then you're fine, the entire reason we have an amber light is to stop people slamming on their brakes and causing accidents. So you have nothing to worry about.
Ok, thanks.
DancinBallerina
(Original post by OR321)
Even with cameras nearby the lights??
username4499734
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Even with cameras nearby the lights??
Not sure if there’s been cameras near the lights. But because where I live, and I’m sure it’s like this most places, there’s sooo much traffic so people are always going through red lights at work times lmao
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It worries me a little that you aren't aware that an amber light is okay to cross...
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by AdamCor)
Green light - go
Red light - stop
Green Light - Go
Amber Light - Kickdown/Turbo Test (Audi Only)
Red Light - Not Go
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Brilliant, ignore my post.
LibertarianMP
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by OR321)
Well your mum is an inconsiderate *****. Dangerous driving kills.
username4499734
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by LibertarianMP)
Well your mum is an inconsiderate *****. Dangerous driving kills.
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (534)
66.42%
No (270)
33.58%

Watched Threads