Isabelpayne200
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I’m finding it really difficult to know what and how to revise for Macbeth in English. I’m trying to get high marks ,band 5/6, in the essays but just don’t know what on earth to do to get this. I’ve watched loads of videos like mr salles and Mr Bruff but there’s so many videos that I’m not sure what to watch and what bits to take away from it. I know I need to make my mind maps and revision cards but I don’t feel like I’m benefitting from them.

Student01234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Isabelpayne200)
Hi, I’m finding it really difficult to know what and how to revise for Macbeth in English. I’m trying to get high marks ,band 5/6, in the essays but just don’t know what on earth to do to get this. I’ve watched loads of videos like mr salles and Mr Bruff but there’s so many videos that I’m not sure what to watch and what bits to take away from it. I know I need to make my mind maps and revision cards but I don’t feel like I’m benefitting from them.
Hi, I got an 8 in my English Lit GCSE but it definitely wasn't easy so I'll tell you what I did..... Find an example answer of the band you are aiming for, you can find these in revision guides, online or your teacher will be able to access some for you. Get your highlighters out and annotate their answer with the things that person has done that you want to include in your own writing (e.g. embedded quotations, alternative viewpoints, comparisons with other characters/ themes etc). Then write yourself a checklist of all the things you want to include based on what you found in the example answer. Set yourself an essay question then answer it. You can then take this to school and ask your teacher to mark it, give you a grade and some feedback. Review your checklist and add things that your teacher has told you (and maybe removing anything that isn't necessary or is working for you). Have a go at answering another question but with your new checklist, do the same thing; get feedback and update your checklist. Hopefully your mark will go up a little bit each time. As you get better you can find higher marked example answers to annotate and this should help you to progress up through the bands. I might also be worth making it clear to your teacher what you want to achieve so they can help you as much as possible. Unfortunately English is one of those subjects that in order for you to do well in the exam you need to master how to answer the questions, by doing this you don't only just practice what to write but also how to write it. When you write essays, use a wide range of quotes, the more you use and more often you use them, the more likely you are to remember them which makes learning the quotes much easier down the line. Good luck!
Isabelpayne200
Rep:
?
Thank you so much!
Isabelpayne200
Rep:
?
(Original post by Student01234)
Hi, I got an 8 in my English Lit GCSE but it definitely wasn't easy so I'll tell you what I did..... Find an example answer of the band you are aiming for, you can find these in revision guides, online or your teacher will be able to access some for you. Get your highlighters out and annotate their answer with the things that person has done that you want to include in your own writing (e.g. embedded quotations, alternative viewpoints, comparisons with other characters/ themes etc). Then write yourself a checklist of all the things you want to include based on what you found in the example answer. Set yourself an essay question then answer it. You can then take this to school and ask your teacher to mark it, give you a grade and some feedback. Review your checklist and add things that your teacher has told you (and maybe removing anything that isn't necessary or is working for you). Have a go at answering another question but with your new checklist, do the same thing; get feedback and update your checklist. Hopefully your mark will go up a little bit each time. As you get better you can find higher marked example answers to annotate and this should help you to progress up through the bands. I might also be worth making it clear to your teacher what you want to achieve so they can help you as much as possible. Unfortunately English is one of those subjects that in order for you to do well in the exam you need to master how to answer the questions, by doing this you don't only just practice what to write but also how to write it. When you write essays, use a wide range of quotes, the more you use and more often you use them, the more likely you are to remember them which makes learning the quotes much easier down the line. Good luck!
So rn I’m trying to write an essay but I’m reaalllyyy struggling because even though I’ve got rly terminolgy and all that I still don’t actually remember any of it, and have been sitting at the desk for hours literally trying to find high grade analysis of characters and quotes for themes but have got no where. I’m unsure of any quotes. How can I remember their analysis (if I actually find good analysis of any😴)
Dkrsmmsksjek
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey I got a 9 in my GCSE English Literature and a 9 in my GCSE English Language, having sat the 2019 June Examination Series! Text me on snap for advice @loco_gibby
Student01234
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So rn I’m trying to write an essay but I’m reaalllyyy struggling because even though I’ve got rly terminolgy and all that I still don’t actually remember any of it, and have been sitting at the desk for hours literally trying to find high grade analysis of characters and quotes for themes but have got no where. I’m unsure of any quotes. How can I remember their analysis (if I actually find good analysis of any😴)
It is tricky to begin with, you are faced with 3 texts to unpick and criticise which is hard (I found pride and prejudice the hardest!) but its not just the quotes or analysis that will give you the marks. Of course you need to pick quotes that you can talk about but you also need to tie in context, form, alternative viewpoints etc. With Macbeth in particular, it is rich with interesting context and there are lots of points that can be made about the form of the writing (e.g. iambic pentameter). There will be lots of websites with suggested quotes for themes and characters, if I were you I would make a table or a mind map for each theme and add 5 quotes for each theme then add an interesting point you can make about them. Examiners will appreciate unique ideas about quotes and characters, making things up can pay off. Focus on learning the quotes rather than their analysis, talking about quotes spontaneously is a skill you will have to learn as you will get an extract that you haven't prepared for. I'll give you an example of a quote and some analysis:

"Take my milk for gall": "Take"= an imperative, LM is commanding the spirits- perhaps she already considers herself a queen?. "milk" connotes with ideas of purity (imagery of white) and mothering and nurturing which is contrasted by "gall". "Gall"= poison, jacobean audience believed in witches. "milk" represents femininity, by taking this away she is capable of doing evil things, is there an idea that women were weak?- misogynistic?. "take my milk for gall"= iambic pentameter. "my"= personal, possibly reflecting LM's personal desire and selfishness.

Hopefully you can see that you can take a quote and think of something no matter the size of the word- by analysing words such as "my" you will stand out from the rest of the candidates that may just state the obvious about LM's intentions. It's always worth trying to think of more than one viewpoint to show that your judgement isn't narrow minded and that you can consider a range of perspectives. I'm hoping this helps you. I found English really hard but I got through it, it is a fascinating subject which hopefully you will come to enjoy as you improve. Let me know if there's anything I haven't answered.
itsmeuno
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm starting my GCSE next year but I need help for organisation as i'm going shops tomorrow. So I want too put all my revision notes (which are in lined paper from notebooks that i rip out) in binders. I'm going too have binders for each subject and I want too know if I should keep my notes in individual subject notebooks or store it in the binders. But if I put my notes in notebooks then am going too still need a binder regardless as I need too store worksheets in there but there will only be a small amount of worksheets that I store in my binders.
So what do you think I should do?
Thank you for helping!
Hope I explained it well, but what would you do if you was in my shoes?
Student01234
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by itsmeuno)
I'm starting my GCSE next year but I need help for organisation as i'm going shops tomorrow. So I want too put all my revision notes (which are in lined paper from notebooks that i rip out) in binders. I'm going too have binders for each subject and I want too know if I should keep my notes in individual subject notebooks or store it in the binders. But if I put my notes in notebooks then am going too still need a binder regardless as I need too store worksheets in there but there will only be a small amount of worksheets that I store in my binders.
So what do you think I should do?
Thank you for helping!
Hope I explained it well, but what would you do if you was in my shoes?
Hi, do you not get class books for GCSE? When I did my GCSEs we all had class books that we wrote our notes and homework in then we used those at revision. Everyone works best in different ways, personally I wasn't doing too much revision wise outside of lessons until March but when I revised I just made flashcards for most of my subjects and didn't really use my notes too much, I used the revision guides instead. If you know that you will definitely use your notes then organising them into folders is a good idea, but you might find that you won't use them as you will make other resources when you come to revise (some teachers say that making flashcards and mind maps isn't revising but I would disagree because you are writing out the content which helps it to stick in your head). Ultimately, if organising your notes helps you, keeps you organised and prepared then it is worth it, however, if it becomes a chore then maybe don't use folders, sorry I can't give you a definite answer but it is all about finding what works for you- luckily you have plenty of time so you can try loads of things and see what works.
Isabelpayne200
Rep:
?
It is tricky to begin with, you are faced with 3 texts to unpick and criticise which is hard (I found pride and prejudice the hardest!) but its not just the quotes or analysis that will give you the marks. Of course you need to pick quotes that you can talk about but you also need to tie in context, form, alternative viewpoints etc. With Macbeth in particular, it is rich with interesting context and there are lots of points that can be made about the form of the writing (e.g. iambic pentameter). There will be lots of websites with suggested quotes for themes and characters, if I were you I would make a table or a mind map for each theme and add 5 quotes for each theme then add an interesting point you can make about them. Examiners will appreciate unique ideas about quotes and characters, making things up can pay off. Focus on learning the quotes rather than their analysis, talking about quotes spontaneously is a skill you will have to learn as you will get an extract that you haven't prepared for. I'll give you an example of a quote and some analysis:

"Take my milk for gall": "Take"= an imperative, LM is commanding the spirits- perhaps she already considers herself a queen?. "milk" connotes with ideas of purity (imagery of white) and mothering and nurturing which is contrasted by "gall". "Gall"= poison, jacobean audience believed in witches. "milk" represents femininity, by taking this away she is capable of doing evil things, is there an idea that women were weak?- misogynistic?. "take my milk for gall"= iambic pentameter. "my"= personal, possibly reflecting LM's personal desire and selfishness.

Hopefully you can see that you can take a quote and think of something no matter the size of the word- by analysing words such as "my" you will stand out from the rest of the candidates that may just state the obvious about LM's intentions. It's always worth trying to think of more than one viewpoint to show that your judgement isn't narrow minded and that you can consider a range of perspectives. I'm hoping this helps you. I found English really hard but I got through it, it is a fascinating subject which hopefully you will come to enjoy as you improve. Let me know if there's anything I haven't answered.
Thank you again!!🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 🏻 I got an assessment today about how the witches were seen as malign and got 21/30 and ngl that really really really knocked my confidence because another girl got an 8 (two 8’s fro the last two assessments😧) and felt like having a mental breakdown or something🙂 but I’ll take your advice and thank you again, it’s verrryyy helpful. My teacher said “use the three big hitters then expand away from them” (not word for word but definitely said three big hitters) do you know what they could be? Lol I got lost at that point😂😂
Last edited by Isabelpayne200; 4 weeks ago
Student01234
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you again!!🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 🏻 I got an assessment today about how the witches were seen as malign and got 21/30 and ngl that really really really knocked my confidence because another girl got an 8 (two 8’s fro the last two assessments😧) and felt like having a mental breakdown or something🙂 but I’ll take your advice and thank you again, it’s verrryyy helpful. My teacher said “use the three big hitters then expand away from them” (not word for word but definitely said three big hitters) do you know what they could be? Lol I got lost at that point😂😂
Whatttt!!! Omg 21/30 is honestly amazing!!!!!! Whoever got an 8 is on their own journey and you are on yours so don’t feel down on yourself! 21 is a really good score to build on. Sorry I don’t know what the three big hitters are but you should go back to your teacher and ask them to explain further when they have time for you. I’m glad I have been helpful, you’re welcome!! English is one of those subjects that is quite complex to master when it doesn’t come naturally but if you stick at it you will get better. As for the other people in your class, use them!! I wish I’d maybe asked to see their essays and their books to see what they are doing and what I could use from them- they might say no but people will be more helpful than you may first expect. Good luck xx
Isabelpayne200
Rep:
?
Whatttt!!! Omg 21/30 is honestly amazing!!!!!! Whoever got an 8 is on their own journey and you are on yours so don’t feel down on yourself! 21 is a really good score to build on. Sorry I don’t know what the three big hitters are but you should go back to your teacher and ask them to explain further when they have time for you. I’m glad I have been helpful, you’re welcome!! English is one of those subjects that is quite complex to master when it doesn’t come naturally but if you stick at it you will get better. As for the other people in your class, use them!! I wish I’d maybe asked to see their essays and their books to see what they are doing and what I could use from them- they might say no but people will be more helpful than you may first expect. Good luck xx
Thank you, literally needed to hear this🙌🏻 I’ll try to read their answer but tbh, I (in year 10) was top of the class, highest grades for almost all assessments then suddenly I’ve been usurped🙂lol. So yeah difficult to bear. You’re a very kind person for this, my parents wouldn’t even say any of that😅
Student01234
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you, literally needed to hear this🙌🏻 I’ll try to read their answer but tbh, I (in year 10) was top of the class, highest grades for almost all assessments then suddenly I’ve been usurped🙂lol. So yeah difficult to bear. You’re a very kind person for this, my parents wouldn’t even say any of that😅
Awh, no you are probably doing really well and you obviously care a lot. If it helps, my teacher was under marking me so much for the whole of yr 10 and 11, I came out with 2 grades higher than I was getting in most of my assessments. You just gotta keep going. I’m a great believer that you get the grades you deserve (obviously this isn’t always the case but if you work hard enough you can get whatever grade you want). Don’t feel down on yourself if your marks have gone down a bit, look at it as a bit of a challenge but it can be fixed!! When at your stage the exams seem like such a big deal but you will realise once you’ve sat them that as long as you tried your best and did everything you could you will be proud of yourself no matter what!! You will then start a-levels and do whatever and it won’t be a big part of your life, just persevere- you can do it!!!
Isabelpayne200
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Awh, no you are probably doing really well and you obviously care a lot. If it helps, my teacher was under marking me so much for the whole of yr 10 and 11, I came out with 2 grades higher than I was getting in most of my assessments. You just gotta keep going. I’m a great believer that you get the grades you deserve (obviously this isn’t always the case but if you work hard enough you can get whatever grade you want). Don’t feel down on yourself if your marks have gone down a bit, look at it as a bit of a challenge but it can be fixed!! When at your stage the exams seem like such a big deal but you will realise once you’ve sat them that as long as you tried your best and did everything you could you will be proud of yourself no matter what!! You will then start a-levels and do whatever and it won’t be a big part of your life, just persevere- you can do it!!!
Thank you for the words of encouragement☺️☺️
Ineedtostudy4002
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hey I'm sure you'll do well! As the person above said yh 21/30 itself is amazing!! I'm in year 11 too and I'm kind of struggling with jekyll and hyde and poetry MASSIVELY have u read it, it's half term so any tips on what to do?
Isabelpayne200
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ineedtostudy4002)
hey I'm sure you'll do well! As the person above said yh 21/30 itself is amazing!! I'm in year 11 too and I'm kind of struggling with jekyll and hyde and poetry MASSIVELY have u read it, it's half term so any tips on what to do?
I’m carrying on with poetry after my half term, we’ve only done 5. Havent even started Jekyll and Hyde. I’m not a fan of poetry, and after watching mr salles I learnt that you can easily do well by learning the technique of analysing a poem, the context and choose your fave poem and learn the poem off by heart. As long as you know context and slight analysis of the other poems then you’ll be okay because your fave poem that you learnt will help you with the other marks. I’m not that great at giving tips sorry😅anyways good luck for your gcses’s!
Ineedtostudy4002
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’m carrying on with poetry after my half term, we’ve only done 5. Havent even started Jekyll and Hyde. I’m not a fan of poetry, and after watching mr salles I learnt that you can easily do well by learning the technique of analysing a poem, the context and choose your fave poem and learn the poem off by heart. As long as you know context and slight analysis of the other poems then you’ll be okay because your fave poem that you learnt will help you with the other marks. I’m not that great at giving tips sorry😅anyways good luck for your gcses’s!
thank youuuu so much I'll have a watch of him! Good luck to you as well!! Have you started memorising quotes yet?I'm planning to sort out all my subjects and it's very difficult to balance everything 😢😭
liaente
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Ah, what the heck, where were you when I was taking my exams? 🤣👍 I wish I was given this much support xDD. Ngl it seems that GCSE students are given much more help on TSR than A-Level students, that's what I'm seeing so far anyway (hopefully I'm wrong). I asked some questions and usually they just degraded me or gave terrible responses. Well done for helping out 😁😁
Student01234
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by liaente)
Ah, what the heck, where were you when I was taking my exams? 🤣👍 I wish I was given this much support xDD. Ngl it seems that GCSE students are given much more help on TSR than A-Level students, that's what I'm seeing so far anyway (hopefully I'm wrong). I asked some questions and usually they just degraded me or gave terrible responses. Well done for helping out 😁😁
Awh thank you, I only joined the student room in the summer after my exams because I was so stressed about results day and there we're so many lovely people, I wish I had started using it so much earlier. GCSEs are so stressful because you have never experienced anything like it in your life before and it can be hard to deal with, hopefully we can all support each other! It's a shame you haven't had the best experience, keep asking questions tho, you never know when someone will say something that will help you out a lot. xx
firephoenix
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
One of the best pieces of advice my teacher gave me was to know the mark scheme. If you know how many marks are being distributed throughout AO1 AO2 and AO3, you might find structuring your essays a bit easier as it means you’ll know how much context,language and knowledge you need in each paragraph
Last edited by firephoenix; 3 weeks ago
Isabelpayne200
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ineedtostudy4002)
thank youuuu so much I'll have a watch of him! Good luck to you as well!! Have you started memorising quotes yet?I'm planning to sort out all my subjects and it's very difficult to balance everything 😢😭
Ive tried to remember them but they never stick☹️ I literally have no idea how to organise my time so I can revise all the subjects, it’s very difficult yeah
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (263)
54.23%
18-20 years old (no) (63)
12.99%
20-25 years old (yes) (82)
16.91%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
1.86%
25-30 years old (yes) (25)
5.15%
25-30 years old (no) (0)
0%
30-40 years old (yes) (24)
4.95%
30-40 years old (no) (3)
0.62%
40+ years old (yes) (9)
1.86%
40+ years old (no) (7)
1.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise