defne7
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi everyone,
I have applied to study Architecture at Cambridge for 2020 entry, specifically to Sidney Sussex College, and was wondering if anyone has detailed knowledge of the interview format. I don't have a reply for the interview yet, but here's hoping I get one.
I am aware there are two interviews, one more focused on talking about the portfolio and the other more general? But have heard different things from different people so want to get a more clear idea about what to expect from both interviews.
Also, any advice on how to layout my work for the portfolio (including photos of 3D work) would be appreciated, but my main question is about the interviews.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Nobody will be able to tell you what the actual questions were. Otherwise has anyone else got any further tips?
defne7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Yes of course I am not expecting to know what questions they ask. Was just wondering if both interviews are architecture focused or if one is more to do with Cambridge and the college. Would expect the topics to be slightly different if there are two interviews so just wanted to get an indication of what to expect.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Good. Hopefully a Cambridge architecture student will respond and provide you with the answers you seek.

I know someone who is at Cambridge for another subject. For her ( and it may be different for you) there was a general interview then a more intense one. It will probably be about your subject if it is anything to do with the Oxford ones. All they care about is how keen you are on architecture. They will ask you unfamiliar questions on this subject. Sometimes there are no right or wrong answers. Sometimes you can go home and look up the answers and find out you made a mistake, but they still let you in, because you gave evidence for why you thought that way, it explained yourself well. You must always, always think aloud and show your thought processes. This is what the tutors are looking at, how you tick academically. The questions will vary from college to college and maybe even from year to year as well. Although made to challenge you, they will be interesting because both you and the tutors love what you are discussing and it may be a relief to speak to someone who shares your academic interest in the subject.

Plus nobody ever thinks they have got in, but obviously some people do!

There will not be an interview about Cambridge or why you love the college. Nobody got in to Cambridge due to an encyclopaedic knowledge of the city, or what the girls at Newnham college ate at the formal dinner last week. It will be an architecture fest, most probably.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by blueturtle7)
I think it really differs from person to person, things like which college you apply to and which people you speak to. I read somewhere that someone actually went through their portfolio in both interviews. I imagine this is fairly rare but as architecture is kind of a weird bridge between humanities and sciences the interview style is less predictable.
Unrelated, I know, but architecture sounds like a really fascinating subject. I'm sure that will make for a really absorbing interview.
craze and coco
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I also have a question about the reading list, they recommend reading at least one before the interview. I have already read a book but it is not on that list. Do you know if this is absolutely necessary?
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by craze and coco)
I also have a question about the reading list, they recommend reading at least one before the interview. I have already read a book but it is not on that list. Do you know if this is absolutely necessary?
No, the list is just recommended reading. You can read any book you like as long as it interests you.

It's worthwhile asking yourself why you find it so interesting and to reflect what you have read there. They may ask you some question about it.
cmnc53
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by defne7)
Hi everyone,
I have applied to study Architecture at Cambridge for 2020 entry, specifically to Sidney Sussex College, and was wondering if anyone has detailed knowledge of the interview format. I don't have a reply for the interview yet, but here's hoping I get one.
I am aware there are two interviews, one more focused on talking about the portfolio and the other more general? But have heard different things from different people so want to get a more clear idea about what to expect from both interviews.
Also, any advice on how to layout my work for the portfolio (including photos of 3D work) would be appreciated, but my main question is about the interviews.
I've also applied for sidney sussex for architecture! Have you got an interview yet?
defne7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by cmnc53)
I've also applied for sidney sussex for architecture! Have you got an interview yet?
Oh hi! Yes I have heard back. Have my interview on the 12th. How about you?
cmnc53
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh hi! Yes I have heard back. Have my interview on the 12th. How about you?
Yep, also on the 12th!
defne7
Rep:
?
Yep, also on the 12th!
Ah figured it would be on the same day after I sent that actually. Good luck!! It's stressful but like also very exciting.
What A Levels are you doing btw? (if doing A Levels of course)
physics.chem.art
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey please tell me how it went! Mine is on the 17th...
cmnc53
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ah figured it would be on the same day after I sent that actually. Good luck!! It's stressful but like also very exciting.
What A Levels are you doing btw? (if doing A Levels of course)
Sorry I didnt see this earlier! I'm doing art, maths and English. Weird that it's over now though - and I probably saw you there at some point too!
defne7
Rep:
?
Sorry I didnt see this earlier! I'm doing art, maths and English. Weird that it's over now though - and I probably saw you there at some point too!
Yeah so weird! It’s just waiting until January now. How did it go!?
cmnc53
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
First one was good, second one was one of the most awkward experiences of my life. I think I dont have a chance now
UmamiPiñapple
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey how much were u grilled about ur portfolio? And was the essay and drawing task easier or harder than u imagined?
defne7
Rep:
?
First one was good, second one was one of the most awkward experiences of my life. I think I dont have a chance now
Can't be sure tho. Good luck! Weird that there's nothing we can do and that it's like out of our hands now yknow. But yeah very few places, so almost particularly stressful waiting period.
physics.chem.art
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
First one was good, second one was one of the most awkward experiences of my life. I think I dont have a chance now Hey
was most of it based on your ps? please elaborate :')
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Often people have one good and one bad interview. This is common even for successful candidates.

Please don’t lose hope at this stage.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

14.05%
12.31%
12.43%
18%
23.23%
19.98%

Watched Threads