The Student Room Group

Physics

To what extent can you lie in a required practical write up?

I mean, we ran out of time to record 3 sets of results, half the equipment broke and some of our measuring methods were questionable. Should I write a completely honest report and go through what went wrong, or is it better to make some stuff up? i.e make a believable set of repeat results, and write down adjustments we made to our method/equipment to make results more accurate.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by odjoo
To what extent can you lie in a required practical write up?

I mean, we ran out of time to record 3 sets of results, half the equipment broke and some of our measuring methods were questionable. Should I write a completely honest report and go through what went wrong, or is it better to make some stuff up? i.e make a believable set of repeat results, and write down adjustments we made to our method/equipment to make results more accurate.

I would write it up the way you did it. There's no point in lying about it as you'll probably muck up somewhere. it will give you a chance to evaluate your efforts in the conclusion to see how you can improve. Why did it go so wrong?
Reply 2
Original post by Hazzabear
I would write it up the way you did it. There's no point in lying about it as you'll probably muck up somewhere. it will give you a chance to evaluate your efforts in the conclusion to see how you can improve. Why did it go so wrong?

I've always been terrible at practicals, I just can't think on my feet I guess.
I would say though, we're not being marked on the conclusion specifically for this practical.. would using hindsight still count towards a good method?
Original post by odjoo
I've always been terrible at practicals, I just can't think on my feet I guess.
I would say though, we're not being marked on the conclusion specifically for this practical.. would using hindsight still count towards a good method?

Why didn't you get support from your teacher then?
Reply 4
Original post by Hazzabear
Why didn't you get support from your teacher then?

we're also assessed on how well we can work without support lmao
so really i should be bracing myself for low marks, i'm clutching at straws trying to avoid it.
i mean, it's annoying because i dont see how practicality is something you can learn. you're either good at planning, organising, management or you're not.. i just dont want to deal with low marks from something i dont quite know how to control.
What exam board are you doing?

For wjec, if you mess up on the actual day of the practical, you can ask for a set of pre collected results.
You need to practice how to manage your time wisely in the practical. If something wasn't working, don't just stand there get something new and try again. Especially if you were being examined / assessed.
Reply 7
Original post by AGrizzlyBearo
What exam board are you doing?

For wjec, if you mess up on the actual day of the practical, you can ask for a set of pre collected results.

Interesting,,
don't think AQA does that.

Quick Reply

Latest