The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, outwards from the waistline.
burninginme
Yeah, outwards from the waistline.

lol
Not by any significant margin, I don't think.

:smile:
Reply 4
Americans are generally slightly shorter. Average American is 5'9, Brit is 5'10 I believe. Then again, I think the average Brit is about 5'9 since i'm 5'10.5 and i'm taller than most Brits.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3625031.stm

"Now, the tables have been turned - with the British around half an inch taller than the Americans, who have now reached an average height of 5ft 10. "

Thats if you believe the BBC although it is 4 years old
pork products
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3625031.stm

"Now, the tables have been turned - with the British around half an inch taller than the Americans, who have now reached an average height of 5ft 10. "

Thats if you believe the BBC although it is 4 years old

yeah, but it's talking about men - so really it means something else :wink:

OP if the BBC is right then the answer is no. but really i think it'll depend on the indevidual person.
Reply 7
I am not sure if they are taller but they are definitely larger / fatter.
Well I would say that they would theoretically be smaller because most of the population are made up of people with British ancestory who came over and settled, but.... they have a high percentage of spanish, latino and mexican who if I think back seem to be slightly smaller than the brits.

btw... this is probably a complete load of balls but Im just trying to think it out "strategically"
Reply 9
Gamble
when i went there, (texas) i was surprised, i know were all human beings but i cant help seeing a difference when i came back, i am not short by the way, 5ft 10.

Just out of curiosity, why were you in Texas anyway?

The last time I visited the States on holiday two months ago (in New York, California and Florida) I noticed that most of the men seemed pretty tall as well or equal to my height. BTW I'm a 5ft 11 tall.

The obesity rates seemed pretty exaggerated. I saw more slim or fit people than fat people during my two week stay there.

I wonder how biased or unreliable the media is.

.:greenwaytph:.
Well I would say that they would theoretically be smaller because most of the population are made up of people with British ancestory who came over and settled, but.... they have a high percentage of spanish, latino and mexican who if I think back seem to be slightly smaller than the brits.

Actually the majority of them are of mixed German-Irish-British descent. The German blood may be a contributing factor.
I'm a 6'3 Briton, but I'm aware that I'm an anomaly.
samsamsupersam
at least they don't let Muslims take over and run their country telling them what's what.

Gosh, and you're at Oxford (I'm guessing so as that's your location and you have listed Jesus [I presume the college] as your place of study). They're letting anyone in nowadays. :rolleyes:
jismith1989
Gosh, and you're at Oxford (I'm guessing so as that's your location and you have listed Jesus [I presume the college] as your place of study). They're letting anyone in nowadays. :rolleyes:

Nick Griffin was at Cambridge and you'd probably criticise him.
Reply 13
Who cares if we are smaller than some texas people we are most certianly smarter - atleast if their president is anything to go by we are!
Reply 14
jismith1989
They're letting anyone in nowadays. :rolleyes:

That's somewhat true as well.

I chatted with some blokes in a park in the US and they told me that there are about 10 - 20 million illegal immigrants in their country but the government couldn't care less about deporting them or building a fence along the US-Mexican border where most originated.
samsamsupersam
Nick Griffin was at Cambridge and you'd probably criticise him.

True. I suppose I'm giving the institutions more credit than they are due; most probably because I haven't been, aside from to an Open Day. I thought the tutorial system was supposed to created lateral-thinking, questioning minds -- prospectuses always lie!
samsamsupersam
at least they don't let Muslims take over and run their country telling them what's what.

No, they have evangelical Christians doing that.
mkeillor
That's somewhat true as well.

I chatted with some blokes in a park in the US and they told me that there are about 10 - 20 million illegal immigrants in their country but the government couldn't care less about deporting them or building a fence on the US-Mexican border where most originate.

They're building a huge fence at present. And I'm vehemently against it, but that's rather OT. :biggrin:
jismith1989
True. I suppose I'm giving the institutions more credit than they are due; most probably because I haven't been, aside from to an Open Day. I thought the tutorial system was supposed to created lateral-thinking, questioning minds -- prospectuses always lie!

what so just because someone doesn't share your multi-cultural everything's brilliant outlook they're not in possession of a sound mind?? i think outside of the box of false information the government feeds you and see what's really going on in this country which is illegal immigrants flooding in and ethnic minorities taking over, getting everything their own way and who suffers? whites.
The Americans must be about the same height as us, i mean it was the Brits that took over the USA - they all derive from us.

Also - the Uk = 60 million and USA = 300 Million so of course the obesity level will be higher - However we are not much behind us. its only like a few %.