I have A* B C and E which university will accept me? Watch

CinamonBun2000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I want to apply for a civil engineering course in the UK and I was aiming for some universities that required two A* and an A. Unfortunately I couldn’t get those grades, the grades I have are:

A level
B in mathematics
C in physics
E in Chemistry
A* in Arabic language

I also have:

AS:

A in Maths
A in Arabic
B in physics
C in chemistry

IGCSE:

A* in Maths, Physics and Arabic
B in English 1st language

I’m really confused. Can I still get into good universities with those grades?

Do you have any idea which are the best Civil Engineering course I can get and in which uni?

Thanks in advance
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That’s a big drop from as to a level? Have you thought about resitting? Any particular areas of the country or other priorities for a university?
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If those are you actual grades it is highly unlikely you will get into the kind of university. B in Maths and C in Physics are not likely to help. Can you resit. Most top universities require A in Maths and for Civil Engineering many universities are not as strict for Physics. However resitting Maths and Physics would seem your best option. A*AB with a grade A in Maths might lead to acceptance.
avacados1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is Arabic ur native language cos then there’s no point including it in ur lil list
Rhythmical
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As someone who got into university with lower grades than the entry requirements, I know first hand how lenient universities can be, however since you want to do a competitive course it may not work in your favour. Your highest grade is in an unrelated subject and so univerisites are more likely to group your STEM subjects together, meaning your grades would come out as BCE which isn't very strong. There are options such as retaking A Levels or foundation years ( I really recommend these as it's a better choice for entering university if you don't meet the grades)
CinamonBun2000
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
That’s a big drop from as to a level? Have you thought about resitting? Any particular areas of the country or other priorities for a university?
I’m not considering resitting them. I’m just looking for good examples of universities who would accept a student with those grades regardless of the country.
ferrus_manus
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Derby would accept those grades for civil engineering...
CinamonBun2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
If those are you actual grades it is highly unlikely you will get into the kind of university. B in Maths and C in Physics are not likely to help. Can you resit. Most top universities require A in Maths and for Civil Engineering many universities are not as strict for Physics. However resitting Maths and Physics would seem your best option. A*AB with a grade A in Maths might lead to acceptance.
I’m not considering universities with A* and A standard anymore. I’ve found universities that accept CCC Or BCC and I want to know which is the best option for me with my current grades. It’s unlikely that I will reset them.
Last edited by CinamonBun2000; 4 weeks ago
CinamonBun2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by avacados1)
Is Arabic ur native language cos then there’s no point including it in ur lil list
That’s weird. In unis’ websites they leave the third option open, and the only exception is general studies. How sure are you about this information?
CinamonBun2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rhythmical)
As someone who got into university with lower grades than the entry requirements, I know first hand how lenient universities can be, however since you want to do a competitive course it may not work in your favour. Your highest grade is in an unrelated subject and so univerisites are more likely to group your STEM subjects together, meaning your grades would come out as BCE which isn't very strong. There are options such as retaking A Levels or foundation years ( I really recommend these as it's a better choice for entering university if you don't meet the grades)
I’m not considering a retake as I’ve heard that universities would rather take a first taker.
I’m currently taking a foundation degree in Libya ( University of Benghazi) in engineering. I’m doing really well at it. Do you think this will help me ?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CinamonBun2000)
I’m not considering a retake as I’ve heard that universities would rather take a first taker.
I’m currently taking a foundation degree in Libya ( University of Benghazi) in engineering. I’m doing really well at it. Do you think this will help me ?
It isnt true that most universities wont accept people retaking exams. Nearly all universities accept retakes. As for your grades and courses your best options are probably going to be former Polyechnics like UWE, Nottingham Trent, Sheffield Hallam etc. I suspect they may accept you with those grades.
CinamonBun2000
Rep:
?
It isnt true that most universities wont accept people retaking exams. Nearly all universities accept retakes. As for your grades and courses your best options are probably going to be former Polyechnics like UWE, Nottingham Trent, Sheffield Hallam etc. I suspect they may accept you with those grades.
I didn’t say they won’t accept retakers, but they would prefer a first-taker even if he had slightly lower grades.

I hope I will find better options.

Thanks for your information
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm pretty sure most universities won't accept an A level modern language if it's in your native language. The reason is that it's designed for students learning it as a foreign language.

I'm surprised your school even let you take A level Arabic if you're a native speaker. :confused:

I guess that leaves you with 3 A levels and grades of BCE.

Still, you could probably get into a very low-tier university that asks for UCAS points or doesn't care about Arabic being your mother tongue.
Last edited by Quick-use; 4 weeks ago
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
I'm pretty sure most universities won't accept an A level modern language if it's in your native language. The reason is that it's designed for students learning it as a foreign language.
Out of interest people have looked into this before and found that most universities do accept native language A levels. Medicine tends to be an exception, and it would be best to check with individual universities before applying.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Out of interest people have looked into this before and found that most universities do accept native language A levels. Medicine tends to be an exception, and it would be best to check with individual universities before applying.
Really? This is very surprising. I've heard of so many instances where the opposite is true. I suppose it really does boil down to each university and their regulations.

To the OP: you should really contact your chosen universities and explain your situation. Make sure to definitely disclose that you're a native Arabic speaker and whether they'd accept your A level in Arabic.
Last edited by Quick-use; 4 weeks ago
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I didn’t say they won’t accept retakers, but they would prefer a first-taker even if he had slightly lower grades.

I hope I will find better options.

Thanks for your information
The vast majority of universities dont differentiate between first takers and re takers. Maybe a few at the top end like UCL dont accept re takers but places like Bristol and Exeter amongst others dont. The key issue is whether each university will accept your Arabic as a native speaker. If they do you have A*BC. If not you have BCE. There will be a huge difference in the kind of universities accepting you dependent on that.
CinamonBun2000
Rep:
?
I really hope this is true 🙏
CinamonBun2000
Rep:
?
The vast majority of universities dont differentiate between first takers and re takers. Maybe a few at the top end like UCL dont accept re takers but places like Bristol and Exeter amongst others dont. The key issue is whether each university will accept your Arabic as a native speaker. If they do you have A*BC. If not you have BCE. There will be a huge difference in the kind of universities accepting you dependent on that.
Oh I must be mistaken then, I really hope Arabic would be accepted
avacados1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That’s weird. In unis’ websites they leave the third option open, and the only exception is general studies. How sure are you about this information?
I’m not sure how it applies for different universities but I know with the higher ranked ones it applies.
umbrella321
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm pretty sure the exam board shouldn't have let you take A level Arabic if it is your language at home, it's basically cheating. The AQA terms and conditions state this and there was an article about it not long ago, discussing how native speakers are skewing the results and gaining results that don't reflect the work required to learn it in 2 years.
The fact your other A level results are much lower (maths is considered an easy A level, further maths being the differentiater) backs this up.
I would re-sit.
Last edited by umbrella321; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (142)
18.83%
Labour (322)
42.71%
Liberal Democrats (153)
20.29%
Green Party (41)
5.44%
Brexit Party (21)
2.79%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.27%
SNP (9)
1.19%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.8%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)