Not able to have a 16 plus Oyster card! Watch

AntoniaLouiseF
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Just wondering, I’m 19 years old and born in June 2000 and I am still in full time education so when my Oyster card expired I was not able to have it. So I tried the 18 plus but my school is not on there and now I am expected to pay to and from school everyday😢 anyone have any ideas what to do....?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AntoniaLouiseF)
Just wondering, I’m 19 years old and born in June 2000 and I am still in full time education so when my Oyster card expired I was not able to have it. So I tried the 18 plus but my school is not on there and now I am expected to pay to and from school everyday😢 anyone have any ideas what to do....?
Check to see if you qualify. If so and your school isnt on then you need to contact tfl to sort it out.
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-di...ster-photocard
AntoniaLouiseF
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Check to see if you qualify. If so and your school isnt on then you need to contact tfl to sort it out.
I asked my school they said they are not able to do it not sure why...
AntoniaLouiseF
Rep:
?
And I contacted my local council and my school and they are unable to help me
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
I asked my school they said they are not able to do it not sure why...
You need to call or send a message to TFL so they can check if you qualify. Not all schools are on their database and if you go with ID plus a letter from the school to TFL they can sort it out for you. If you are eligible.
AntoniaLouiseF
Rep:
?
You need to call or send a message to TFL so they can check if you qualify. Not all schools are on their database and if you go with ID plus a letter from the school to TFL they can sort it out for you. If you are eligible.
I contacted TFL and they said that I am not able to have the 16 plus because I will need to be born after the 31st August of 2019 to be able to have it but I was born in June 2000 and there are other people in my 6th form in the same situation as me
Kaiix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
True thaaaaan bruh
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
I contacted TFL and they said that I am not able to have the 16 plus because I will need to be born after the 31st August of 2019 to be able to have it but I was born in June 2000 and there are other people in my 6th form in the same situation as me
I dont believe what you wrote makes sense. The rule is Adults who live in a London borough who were 18 on 31 August and in full-time education, can apply for a 16+ Zip Oyster photocard to get free travel on buses and trams.

I was talking about the 18+.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-di...d?intcmp=54727
AntoniaLouiseF
Rep:
?
I dont believe what you wrote makes sense. The rule is Adults who live in a London borough who were 18 on 31 August and in full-time education, can apply for a 16+ Zip Oyster photocard to get free travel on buses and trams.

I was talking about the 18+.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-di...d?intcmp=54727
The thing is I already told my school about the 18 plus and TFL said I cannot have it even though I am still in full time education
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
The thing is I already told my school about the 18 plus and TFL said I cannot have it even though I am still in full time education
You should find out from TFL why.
Your explanation of your situation doesnt make sense.
TFL have eligibility criteria. You are either entitled or you are not. Get them to explain why not.
AntoniaLouiseF
Rep:
?
You should find out from TFL why.
Your explanation of your situation doesnt make sense.
TFL have eligibility criteria. You are either entitled or you are not. Get them to explain why not.
I was born in June 2000 when I contacted TfL they said I am eligible for the 16 plus if I was born after the 31st August which I wasn’t I was born in June, I told my school and they are not able to apply for the 18 plus even though there are many people in my sixth form in the same situation I hope this makes sense and I am not sure if I should get my school to write a letter for TfL as I am paying for my travel
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
I was born in June 2000 when I contacted TfL they said I am eligible for the 16 plus if I was born after the 31st August which I wasn’t I was born in June, I told my school and they are not able to apply for the 18 plus even though there are many people in my sixth form in the same situation I hope this makes sense and I am not sure if I should get my school to write a letter for TfL as I am paying for my travel
It says for 16+

Adults who live in a London borough who were 18 on 31 August and in full-time education, can apply for a 16+ Zip Oyster photocard to get free travel on buses and trams.

I assume that 18 is the upper limit and you are 19 and 2 months.

For 18+ it says

You can apply for an 18+ Student Oyster photocard if:

You're 18 or over
Live in a London borough during term time
Enrolled at a school, college or university registered on the TfL scheme or on a mandatory work placement in London

You must also be one of the following:

Enrolled on a full-time course with at least 15 tuition-led or structured learning hours a week. You must attend classes Monday to Friday only (not including evening classes) that span a minimum of 14 weeks on the same course (shorter courses repeated over 14 or more weeks aren't eligible)

If your school, college or university is outside Greater London but you live in a London borough during term time and travel regularly, ask your school, college or university if they're registered on the 18+ Student Oyster photocard scheme.

So if the issue is your school is not registered then you need to speak to TFL and ask if that can be remedied overall by the school registering or they will let you have an 18+ if you send them a letter from the school. Speak to TFL.
AntoniaLouiseF
Rep:
?
It says for 16+

Adults who live in a London borough who were 18 on 31 August and in full-time education, can apply for a 16+ Zip Oyster photocard to get free travel on buses and trams.

I assume that 18 is the upper limit and you are 19 and 2 months.

For 18+ it says

You can apply for an 18+ Student Oyster photocard if:

You're 18 or over
Live in a London borough during term time
Enrolled at a school, college or university registered on the TfL scheme or on a mandatory work placement in London

You must also be one of the following:

Enrolled on a full-time course with at least 15 tuition-led or structured learning hours a week. You must attend classes Monday to Friday only (not including evening classes) that span a minimum of 14 weeks on the same course (shorter courses repeated over 14 or more weeks aren't eligible)

If your school, college or university is outside Greater London but you live in a London borough during term time and travel regularly, ask your school, college or university if they're registered on the 18+ Student Oyster photocard scheme.

So if the issue is your school is not registered then you need to speak to TFL and ask if that can be remedied overall by the school registering or they will let you have an 18+ if you send them a letter from the school. Speak to TFL.
So I’m not allowed the 16 plus oyster but with the 18 plus I will still need to pay to go to my sixth form or should I phone up TfL to see if they can send me out a letter to get a 16 plus still
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
So I’m not allowed the 16 plus oyster but with the 18 plus I will still need to pay to go to my sixth form or should I phone up TfL to see if they can send me out a letter to get a 16 plus still
My reading is you are too old for 16+ , but contact them if you wish.
AntoniaLouiseF
Rep:
?
Yes I’m 19 but I’m still in full time education which is a sixth form
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
We are now going round in circles again. I have told you what the rules fort 16+ are and you are too old.
Your next bet is 18+. Take it up with TFL.
Most people will have finished with sixth form by 18.
AntoniaLouiseF
Rep:
?
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
You know that bit about going round in circles, then you are still doing it. I have looked up and read you the rules, then explained why you do not meet the criteria. Take it up with TFL.,
AntoniaLouiseF
Rep:
?
You know that bit about going round in circles, then you are still doing it. I have looked up and read you the rules, then explained why you do not meet the criteria. Take it up with TFL.,
Okay but you don’t have to be rude like that.....
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
Okay but you don’t have to be rude like that.....
I keep explaining it to you, but you dont seem to take it in what your situation is. I dont make the rules TFL does.
I have been kind enough to spend my time looking it up for you, but you cant seem to understand you dont fall within the criteria of a 16+ card because you are 19 and were too old at the relevant date. The only people who can change things for you is TFL, hence I have sad half a dozen times you need to speak to them. You can say as many times as you want about being in full time education but according to the rules created by TFL (not me) you are too old, but you may qualify for an 18+ Oyster, which also covers full time education. Telling and bothering to explain the truth to you is not rude.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (33)
18.23%
Unconditional if firmed (14)
7.73%
Unconditional if insurance (1)
0.55%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (3)
1.66%
No unconditional offers (130)
71.82%

Watched Threads