The world is becoming so boring Watch

LifelessStudent
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've been feeling like the world is becoming so boring, monotone and filled with negativity.
There doesn't seem to be anything exciting happening like in the past where there were competitive rivalries between scientists, engineers etc. or great inventions being built which pushed people to achieve and strive for more. I was looking at the 1800s and 1900s, and so many things were happening at the same time. Science and technology was pushed so far, but it feels like things are changing and advancements aren't as frequent now.
I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on this?
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It seems like you're relying too much on external sources of entertainment to keep yourself occupied, more specifically you're paying too much mind to what everyone else is doing. Focus on yourself.
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I mean, there's only so many things you can discover and create in the world. There's less to advance on when it's all already been done before.
OR321
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maybe you could be the one to do something revolutionary? So much has already been done so it’s understandable why you’re feeling like that. But obviously life is how you make of it, go out and have fun without thinking of sh*t like this lmao.
LifelessStudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
It seems like you're relying too much on external sources of entertainment to keep yourself occupied, more specifically you're paying too much mind to what everyone else is doing. Focus on yourself.
I've been trying to do that, but it's just that when I see things like these great competitions and rivalries between the greats like Einstein, Newton, Tesla, Edison etc. I just can't help but think where things like that are these days. They advanced our civilization so much
LifelessStudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidgetFever)
I mean, there's only so many things you can discover and create in the world. There's less to advance on when it's all already been done before.
True, but I mean, about 95% of the universe is still not discovered/made sense of. There is so much we can do to advance the technology we have, so many cures to find, so much science to still discover. It just feels like it's not the same as it used to be a few decades ago
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I disagree.
We are living in very interesting times; with a lot of potential for drastic change, hope and an exciting future.
LifelessStudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by OR321)
Maybe you could be the one to do something revolutionary? So much has already been done so it’s understandable why you’re feeling like that. But obviously life is how you make of it, go out and have fun without thinking of sh*t like this lmao.
Haha, I appreciate the confidence you have in me, but I don't know if I can do what the people in the past have done. I can certainly try to do something though. It's just that I have been learning about these amazing people from TV shows, movies, books and so on, but feel like it's just not there anymore. I really want to have fun, but I also really want the human race to advance more and see all this amazing tech being built (optimistically in my lifetime)
OR321
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LifelessStudent)
Haha, I appreciate the confidence you have in me, but I don't know if I can do what the people in the past have done. I can certainly try to do something though. It's just that I have been learning about these amazing people from TV shows, movies, books and so on, but feel like it's just not there anymore. I really want to have fun, but I also really want the human race to advance more and see all this amazing tech being built (optimistically in my lifetime)
You never know. Something may just pop up in your head 😂. Are you in uni?? Maybe you could find some volunteering or internships at some good companies. It’s nice to see you wanna do something though, I just started uni a month and I’m pretty dead from it 😂😬
LifelessStudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
I disagree.
We are living in very interesting times; with a lot of potential for drastic change, hope and an exciting future.
I'm not saying that there aren't any interesting things happening these days. There are people like Elon Musk, who's doing incredible things like trying to colonise Mars, building electric cars and so on, but I just wished there were more people who were also interested and doing more to advance our civilisation. I'm sure if a lot more people were working on these things, they would accomplish great things, and could inspire generations of people in the future to go into science and tech. That way, we could colonise more planets, make lives of the people much better, and so much more.
LifelessStudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by OR321)
You never know. Something may just pop up in your head 😂. Are you in uni?? Maybe you could find some volunteering or internships at some good companies. It’s nice to see you wanna do something though, I just started uni a month and I’m pretty dead from it 😂😬
Yeah, I wished something would light up that I could pursue. That would be really cool xD. Maybe you'll do something big, and make this generation/century remembered in the future
Yup, I'm at uni. I'm trying to find internships but it's just so hard. Uni is quite challenging. I barely get time to do things at home and as soon as I arrive, I'm usually exhausted. :lol:
OR321
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, I wished something would light up that I could pursue. That would be really cool xD. Maybe you'll do something big, and make this generation/century remembered in the future
Yup, I'm at uni. I'm trying to find internships but it's just so hard. Uni is quite challenging. I barely get time to do things at home and as soon as I arrive, I'm usually exhausted. :lol:
Honestly samee. I commute and have some full days so my bed has literally become my best friend 😩😩
Gent2324
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
youre comparing the whole of the 1800s to about 20 years or however old you are. ofcourse there are going to be more achievements over 100 years than your life, if you imagine 20 years of the 1800s its not as exciting
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For 99% of people, life is far more interesting now...

Sure life was interesting back then in the 1800s, if you were one of the very very few elites, in one of the few countries that had elites.. bassically if you were western european, or from the anglosphere, and born into money, you had the chance of having an 'interesting' life...

But if you were a normal person, like the other 99% Well, say hello to a life where you probably couldn't read or write.. you likely worked in a factory or out in the fields.. had very little education, very little access to information or media, and likely never travelled far beyond your country (if even your county).

The above poster is also right about time-scales.. its not really fair to compare 100 years to 20 years. But you know what? Even if you do, the past 20 years, has seen more innovation than all of the 1800s. Maybe your young and can't remember back in the year 2000 (or maybe you weren't born) but technology was awful 20 years ago comapared to even basic things now. No smartphones, the internet was still super slow and simple. Games were very basic.. Tablets were near non-existant.. people were still using film cameras.. CDs were the main form of playing music, you rented VHS tapes, because DVDs were still new.. your TV wasn't HD, and chances are it was huge, because LCDs were still in their infancy, social media basically didn't exist. Youtube was still 5 years away from being invented, Google had only launched a year ago, and most people didn't know what it was! etc.

In 20 years we have come such a long way technologically..
Last edited by fallen_acorns; 1 month ago
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Play Russian roulette?
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Boring people find stuff boring.

Open your eyes. The world is amazing and is there for the taking.
looloo2134
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
there a lot more to do now it interested you choose a time that nobody able to remember.
Jjj90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've been feeling like the world is becoming so boring, monotone and filled with negativity.
There doesn't seem to be anything exciting happening like in the past where there were competitive rivalries between scientists, engineers etc. or great inventions being built which pushed people to achieve and strive for more. I was looking at the 1800s and 1900s, and so many things were happening at the same time. Science and technology was pushed so far, but it feels like things are changing and advancements aren't as frequent now.
I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on this?
What?!?!?! We are living at an astonishingly interesting point in political history, you must know why...
Tofic
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The primary cause of the technological development of the 19th and 20th century is War. They tend to try to find methods in which they can have the upper hand when they are at war. Be grateful we're not living in an era with war and starvation.
NaeemTaria
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why you are feeling so???
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
69.7%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (17)
10.3%

Watched Threads