The Student Room Group

Medicine

Hi everyone, I just want some advice. Am I reaching too far or is this possible. Below are my GCSE results:
Maths-B
French-B
Double Award Science-C*C*(Equivalent to 5)
English Language-C*
ICT-Pass/B
Geography-C
I am currently studying A level Maths, Biology and Health and Social Care (I chose this last one as it was my only option). With hard work and determination is it even possible for me to achieve A’s in all of these or am I just hoping for too much. I would love to eventually become a doctor which means I would need to study Chemistry but even if I get the grades I need at A level, my GCSEs are still not good enough. Where do I go from here? Thanks.
Original post by amyedgar0
Hi everyone, I just want some advice. Am I reaching too far or is this possible. Below are my GCSE results:
Maths-B
French-B
Double Award Science-C*C*(Equivalent to 5)
English Language-C*
ICT-Pass/B
Geography-C
I am currently studying A level Maths, Biology and Health and Social Care (I chose this last one as it was my only option). With hard work and determination is it even possible for me to achieve A’s in all of these or am I just hoping for too much. I would love to eventually become a doctor which means I would need to study Chemistry but even if I get the grades I need at A level, my GCSEs are still not good enough. Where do I go from here? Thanks.

I'm not even sure if medical universities will accept your GCSE results...and I don't think they will consider Health and Social care to be a valid subject either, which means you would be applying with 2 A levels (which means you can't apply). Am I wrong ?
Reply 2
Gxhfucyst
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by wbkamy03
Hello everyone, I just want to start off by mentioning my GCSE grades and my experience with certain subjects:
•Mathematics(B) - My first GCSE exam for Maths I got a U, I did a resit and got a B, this summer I came out with a B overall and got 302/318.
•French(B)
•Double Award Science(C*C*-equivalent to 2 5’s. My first physics exam I received a D and I did a resit and got a C*.
•English(C*) - In my first exam I received a D and did a resit and got a C.
•ICT(Pass/B)
•Geography(C)

I have always wanted to become a doctor. It’s always been my dream but when it came around to GCSEs and being put into foundation/higher it didn’t go how I planned it to. My science teachers put me in foundation and I wasn’t allowed to do higher as it was for my benefit. After that I kind of thought - how am I ever able to get into medicine now if I can’t get the required grades. So I didn’t put much effort in at GCSE when I know I could have and got really good grades in my other subjects. I regretted it and now I wonder how well I could have done if I really tried. I had to persuade my teachers to let me study 2 of the A levels I am doing now which are:
•Maths
•Biology
•Health and Social Care

Health and social care isn’t what I need but it was my only other option out of what was offered at my school. I’m just wanting to know, am I reaching too far or is it possible? After my A levels I plan to go somewhere and study chemistry A level and I don’t know where to go from there. Could anyone give me advice on whether it is even possible for me to achieve A’s in my maths and biology, considering I came from “low” GCSE grades.

i think it is possible, as your A-level results are more important than GCSE results, and many uni's don't have GCSE requirements. Even though they're not the A-levels you need for medicine specifically, you can always do a random course, and then move onto a medicine degree, which basically all uni's do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending