Do most teenagers and young adults dress like wannabe gangsters these days? Watch

RJDG14
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Where I live a high percentage of the people I know my age (I'm 19) wear tracksuits and Adidas fleece type clothing to college, often finished off with white trainers. I could use the ch-- word but some people may find it offensive so I won't in full. I find this look to be quite tacky (just my personal preference) and have noticed when finding photos online of British people my age that fewer of them dress this way. Of the male students at my college that don't dress like wannabe gangsters, most of the rest dress in the black skinny jeans neo-hipster kind of way, which I'm not a big fan of either.

I much prefer to wear regular fitting blue jeans with a button down shirt or t-shirt to college, but not many of the students at my college dress like this, even when there are plenty of pictures of guys my age dressed this way on the internet. Is there any reason for this?
Last edited by RJDG14; 1 month ago
OR321
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The first part is literally me lmao. I find it extremely tacky/chavvy too 😂. I was surprised to see sooo many people dress the same in uni. But I guess people wear them coz they’re comfortable and easy (if you know what I mean)
lia_r18
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Everyone has got there own personal preference of how they want to dress. Just leave them be - as long as you are happy with what you wear
RJDG14
Rep:
?
It's kind of weird because going back a few years, a lot of students at my college dressed in more of a smart casual way.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's just what's fashionable in their environment at the moment. People conform to fit in, especially at college age.
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you can't be in 2019 thinking regular fit jeans are popular
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I graduated uni, postgrad, in 2016 and didn't really see that many students dressed like that (if any?). Perhaps it's only a very recent ''trend'' and only confined to colleges, not unis.
RJDG14
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
It was what most teens and young adults were wearing just a few years ago.
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RJDG14)
It was what most teens and young adults were wearing just a few years ago.
maybe like 10 but that's not 2019 my man
RJDG14
Rep:
?
maybe like 10 but that's not 2019 my man
I have broad legs though and so skinny jeans don't either fit or suit me, while tracksuits don't suit my personality.

In general, 2000s fashion = more casual and comfortable, 2010s fashion = more stylish but tighter and less comfortable.
davesantana
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thought every1 was gonna wear jeans to sixth form lool i was the only 1
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zedius)
thought every1 was gonna wear jeans to sixth form lool i was the only 1
that is sad
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn't say so, going to uni I expected everyone to be a bit samey samey on the way they dressed but now that I'm here I realised it was a pretty ignorant assumption. I go to a highly diverse uni in terms of ethnicity, sexuality and class, and it shows. You genuinely couldn't generalise people as all wearing the same thing because it's literally the opposite, it's a huge mix.
RJDG14
Rep:
?
Maybe college and university are two different entities in their own right when it comes to fashion. I'm of a broad build and flex my legs a lot so skinny jeans really don't suit me.

Interestingly, I see a lot more people my own age wearing regular jeans when I visit Bath, which is only about 35 miles away by road, or just under 30 miles away by rail. At the same time, most people my age in Swindon, where I live, wear either tracksuits or skinny jeans.
JakeTSR
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RJDG14)
Where I live a high percentage of the people I know my age (I'm 19) wear tracksuits and Adidas fleece type clothing to college, often finished off with white trainers. I could use the ch-- word but some people may find it offensive so I won't in full. I find this look to be quite tacky (just my personal preference) and have noticed when finding photos online of British people my age that fewer of them dress this way. Of the male students at my college that don't dress like wannabe gangsters, most of the rest dress in the black skinny jeans neo-hipster kind of way, which I'm not a big fan of either.

I much prefer to wear regular fitting blue jeans with a button down shirt or t-shirt to college, but not many of the students at my college dress like this, even when there are plenty of pictures of guys my age dressed this way on the internet. Is there any reason for this?
Okay, you wear regular fit jeans tho.
SMEGGGY
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well they are available so somebody is wearing them...
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SMEGGGY)
Well they are available so somebody is wearing them...
that's not what popular means is it
SMEGGGY
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
that's not what popular means is it
Popular = Sheep
JakeTSR
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SMEGGGY)
Popular = Sheep
oKaY bOoMeR
CollegeStudent99
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Eh? I thought skinny jeans were on their way out and ripped jeans were all the rave now.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5915208

BTW, I see lots of people at my college wearing regular fit jeans.
Last edited by CollegeStudent99; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (54)
31.4%
No I don't (84)
48.84%
I work during the holidays (34)
19.77%

Watched Threads