The-judge-16
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
A levels are far better than btecs, they open up much more pathways to you and look much better on your ucas tariff. Even if people achieved low grades at GCSEs and aren’t too good at exams I still truly believe that many people could achieve AAA at a levels with a lot of hard work.
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
Anyone agree with me? 🤣
AIive
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think a levels are better to have too although I do think certain btecs are better for certain career paths
OR321
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No.
Rockrs
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
"No dont say that, that's mean. You do know BTECS are harder than a levels" : From a BTEC student.
In all honesty I believe a BTEC is good for vocational qualifications that dont need a degree but a levels are far, far better IMO if u want to go on a competitive degree.
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rockrs)
"No dont say that, that's mean. You do know BTECS are harder than a levels" : From a BTEC student.
In all honesty I believe a BTEC is good for vocational qualifications that dont need a degree but a levels are far, far better IMO if u want to go on a competitive degree.
They’re harder, so why bother picking them?
Rose992
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A level students can cost along with minimal out of class effort until exam season when they cram, because everything can be read and learned before one end exam date.

Btecs are 44+ assignments and each one takes 8 hours and if you don't get the merit or distinction on one of them, your whole unit/end grade gets capped. So a D*D*D* student would've put more consistent effort in that a BCC a level student.

But regardless, they both have ucas points and they're both worth something to universities, so why this post unless you want some validation that A levels are worth it? Why post this in the A level forum and not the Btec forum if you're so sure
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by The-judge-16)
A levels are far better than btecs, they open up much more pathways to you and look much better on your ucas tariff. Even if people achieved low grades at GCSEs and aren’t too good at exams I still truly believe that many people could achieve AAA at a levels with a lot of hard work.
You are just trolling
BTECs can be superior to A level it just depends on a persons individual situation.
Presumably you do A level? Why shouldn't anyone bother with what you truly believe?
bennyj901
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rose992)
A level students can cost along with minimal out of class effort until exam season when they cram, because everything can be read and learned before one end exam date.

Btecs are 44+ assignments and each one takes 8 hours and if you don't get the merit or distinction on one of them, your whole unit/end grade gets capped. So a D*D*D* student would've put more consistent effort in that a BCC a level student.

But regardless, they both have ucas points and they're both worth something to universities, so why this post unless you want some validation that A levels are worth it? Why post this in the A level forum and not the Btec forum if you're so sure
Maybe for AS but for A2? Come on, dont tell me you think you can do three A levels like Maths, Bio and Econ 'coast along' and learn it all in a few weeks up to the exam?
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
(Original post by bennyj901)
Maybe for AS but for A2? Come on, dont tell me you think you can do three A levels like Maths, Bio and Econ 'coast along' and learn it all in a few weeks up to the exam?
Exactly you cannot “coast along” in a levels, if everyone did that then a levels would be demolished 😂
hangulmaster
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by The-judge-16)
I took a level 3 extended diploma in animal management with which I achieved D*DD and am now looking to attend university to become a veterinary nurse .
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by hangulmaster)
I took a level 3 extended diploma in animal management with which I achieved D*DD and am now looking to attend university to become a veterinary nurse .
But what if you wanted to be a vet, would that be as possible for people with D*DD as A*AA at A level?
lia_r18
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I started a-levels in maths, electronics and engineering but had to stop them so instead I chose to do a BTEC in IT.

I knew all of the stuff for the alevels but as soon as it came to do practice exams & mocks, I freaked out and then couldnt do the exam. The way that BTECs are structed work better for me.

The coursework isn't easy, if you miss one tiny point you could fail the whole assignment... I'm pretty sure in an exam if you miss 1 tiny point you'll still come out with a grade...
R1C3
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A lot of my friends did BTEC's, I did A-Level.
The majority of them did an apprenticeship 4-5 years ago and have been fully employed since.

Meanwhile, I'm finishing my final year at University and have been unable to find a decent job in-between.
That says enough for me.
Rockrs
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rose992)

So why are BTECs not regarded at all by competitive unis/ courses? For example for engineering if you do BTECs you also need an A in a level maths. I rest my case.
Last edited by Rockrs; 4 weeks ago
lia_r18
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
BTEC if you fail 1 assignment the teacher can help you for the next 43 as you say.
If you fail 1 assignment, you fail the course...
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
So why are BTECs not regarded at all by competitive unis/ courses? For example for engineering if you do BTECs you also need an A in a level maths. I rest my case.
You state they are not considered at all, but you also say they are considered along with A level Maths, which one is it?
bennyj901
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I know that this won't really matter for most, but BTECs aren't recognised for international admission in most cases.
crusty kebab
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
depends on what course you wanna do or what uni you want to go to. You can do btec and go Inyo medicine or go to oxbridge, imperial and other top unis like lse.
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
(Original post by crusty kebab)
depends on what course you wanna do or what uni you want to go to. You can do btec and go Inyo medicine or go to oxbridge, imperial and other top unis like lse.
The vast majority of universities won’t accept btec for medicine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?