The Student Room Group

Harry Dunn crash: US diplomat's wife 'devastated' by his death

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by londonmyst
When I was a child passenger in cars driven by my parents american friends, quite a few of them drove on the wrong side of the road.
From memory, those stopped by the police were never arrested- only informed of their mistake and the worst mannered occasionally hit with an 'on the spot' fine.
Police did tell a few not to drive in the uk or rent a hire car again.

It's not for me to decide upon whether Ms. Sacoolas intentions or actions were reasonable.
But it is unreasonable for the media & social media users to start spreading inaccurate allegations about her for the purpose of decimating her character and stirring up hostility against her.
Gives the impression of deliberate dishonesty and risks poisoning the jury pool in any civil or criminal case filed against her.

I am not sure what you are saying. Did not Harry Dunn die? Are you saying that it was nothing to do with the named woman? the cctv placed her at the scene
Original post by mgi
I am not sure what you are saying. Did not Harry Dunn die? Are you saying that it was nothing to do with the named woman? the cctv placed her at the scene

The uk criminal justice system is based upon corpus delicti, the presumption of innocence in media reporting and trial by judge&jury- not the media.
Three lawyers in the office where I work were issued with written reprimands this afternoon for tweeting or retweeting false allegations against Ms. Sacoolas
I'm saying that there is no place for media misinformation or false allegations deliberately made online with dishonest intent.
Reply 22
The uk criminal justice system is based upon corpus delicti, the presumption of innocence in media reporting and trial by judge&jury- not the media.
Three lawyers in the office where I work were issued with written reprimands this afternoon for tweeting or retweeting false allegations against Ms. Sacoolas
I'm saying that there is no place for media misinformation or false allegations deliberately made online with dishonest intent.

But rather than say sorry, yhis cowardly woman should find her way back to the uk and cooperate fully with the police enquiries. Thats the least she can do for the suffering parents. Lets think about the victims for a change.
Reply 23
Original post by mgi
But rather than say sorry, yhis cowardly woman should find her way back to the uk and cooperate fully with the police enquiries.

Alas, that'll be the day...
Reply 24
The hostile, automatic "guilty of some crime" attitude that many people and media outlets have demonstrated against Ms. Sacoolas hardly encourages her to co-operate with any uk based investigations into the incident.
There has also been a lot of misinformation going around in relation to the alleged actions of Ms. Sacoolas prior to and in the immediate aftermath of the fatal crash.

Yeah but the media don't run the courts. She wouldn't just be thrown in a gulag for 20 years the second she stepped foot in the country. She would be investigated fairly and given a fair trial so what reason is there not to cooperate? If she's so devastated, prove it by coming back and cooperating with the investigation.
Reply 25
Original post by JWatch
Yeah but the media don't run the courts. She wouldn't just be thrown in a gulag for 20 years the second she stepped foot in the country. She would be investigated fairly and given a fair trial so what reason is there not to cooperate? If she's so devastated, prove it by coming back and cooperating with the investigation.

The idea, which Londonmyst does not seem to understand, is that the American woman has decided to abscond in order to escape justice taking its course in a British court. And she is supported by Donald Trump. This is going to be a very challenging extradition justice problem for those grieve stricken parents. That American woman takes no shame!
Original post by Napp
Apparently not 'devastated' enough to come back here and face justice though.
Although its nice to hear that the UK government considers her immunity 'null and void' following her fleeing. Alas i have yet to hear of many cases where the States extradites its citizens irrespective of immunity etc.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-50030750

So it doesnt matter imo, its disgusting whats happened and been resolved on her side terribly. For Harry & family its an awful, very preventable tragedy.

That said, from what I understand is she went to the US embassy for advice, they told her she had immunity but to return to the states. Hence whilst the manner in which this has happened given her situation was probably the right move. From the US point of view, their first priority is to the US citizen and need to make a judgment call on the effects this will have politically, although tbh I think the US isn't too concerned about long term ramifications if were looking for a trade deal soon...

What should happen from here, try and get an admittance of guilt, and I think a civil suit in the US would make sense to get a 'guilty' result through the courts, although this would have not have the same value as a criminal conviction.

Its awful for the family, but I think what needs to happen now is a review of the diplomatic immunity policy, with changes to the rules and treaties afterwards, unfortunately its too late for this case but can be implemented for the next one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending