Want more information about this university?

How ethically diverse is Birmingham university?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thinking of applying to Birmingham and as a minority group I was looking into the population of black people at the university. This isn’t because of any type of prejudiced and I by no means want to offend anyone but as most people would agree on it’s not always a nice feeling to be the only Asian or black or whatever ethnicity in your entire class. Could anyone give some insight on how diverse the University of Birmingham is? (Birmingham city uni) Thanks x
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thinking of applying to Birmingham and as a minority group I was looking into the population of black people at the university. This isn’t because of any type of prejudiced and I by no means want to offend anyone but as most people would agree on it’s not always a nice feeling to be the only Asian or black or whatever ethnicity in your entire class. Could anyone give some insight on how diverse the University of Birmingham is? (Birmingham city uni) Thanks x
Sorry I meant NOT BIRMINGHAM CITY UNIVERSITY❌ - only “The University of Birmingham”
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry I meant NOT BIRMINGHAM CITY UNIVERSITY❌ - only “The University of Birmingham”
It's very ethnically diverse - the uni and the city, almost as much as London
2500_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
page 35 of this https://intranet.birmingham.ac.uk/co...eport-2019.pdf
tl:dr better than a lot of unis, not as diverse as the city of Birmingham as a whole
OzzyOsman2002
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Yeah I know man that’s one of my hesitations about firming uob, when I went there for an open day I noticed the uni was no where as ethically diverse as the city, instead of somewhere like Aston which was much more. I looked at there stats too it didn’t make great reading but I’m not sure looking for actual current student to shed some incite
Hisksjd
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by OzzyOsman2002)
Yeah I know man that’s one of my hesitations about firming uob, when I went there for an open day I noticed the uni was no where as ethically diverse as the city, instead of somewhere like Aston which was much more. I looked at there stats too it didn’t make great reading but I’m not sure looking for actual current student to shed some incite
Birmingham open day looked diverse? That's why it's my first choice, at the least it's more diverse than Warwick
OzzyOsman2002
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Idk it’s easy for the uni to do so on an open day, I went up there the day before and walked around during like normal periods it wasn’t at all
mxxxyar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
When I went for the open day, it seemed quite diverse to me. I know they also have quite a big ACS if that helps. It obviously won’t be as diverse as Aston or BCU as its a Russell group uni, but it’s deffo one of the most diverse Russell group unis, probably the most diverse in fact. I am also about to apply for Birmingham and Warwick and I was scared it wouldn’t be diverse, but ive look at societies and stuff and they seem decent enough.
Last edited by mxxxyar; 10 months ago
lewis6969
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
mate, do white people even go to bham university 🤣. i only ever see chinese folk
Last edited by lewis6969; 10 months ago
mxxxyar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by lewis6969)
mate, do white people even go to bham university 🤣. i only ever see chinese folk
HEs talking about UOB not city
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Check to see what cultural societies are at the university should be a list online or search Facebook
lewis6969
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by mxxxyar)
HEs talking about UOB not city
oh my apologies
Anonymous #2
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by lewis6969)
I'm at UoB and only ever seem to be with Chinese folk for group work... Don't mind - but I'm extremely shy - and it would be nice to meet people with a similarish background to me
UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey I currently study chemical engineering at UoB.

I'd say as unis go Birmingham is pretty diverse, I have a range of friends from lot of different places and cultures. We have student run groups for all sorts of different ethnicites/cultutres from afro carribean to the Philipines. You can check them out here:

https://www.guildofstudents.com/studentgroups/

The diversity of people you work with will of course depend on the course you study as some courses are more diverse than others.

The city of Birmingham as a whole is incredibly diverse as it's the second biggest city in the UK.

Thanks

Harry
Anonymous #3
Report 10 months ago
Yo mahn ive got an offer for UoB 2020 and am a minority too
Anonymous #4
Report 5 months ago
what about the Indians there in the uni?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (86)
13.98%
I'm not sure (29)
4.72%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (194)
31.54%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.11%
I'm not a current university student (293)
47.64%

Watched Threads