Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello! I've just applied to do a BSc Economics at LSE for 2020 start and i'm not gonna lie i'm worried already as most probably are lol as its kinda a big dream.
At GCSE I got 9999887AC54 with the C being graphics, 5 German and 4 short course RE rip.
One 9 was a year early for maths and in the following i got an A in my FSMQ (free-standing maths qualification - a level 2 qualification). For A levels I'm taking Maths, further maths, politics and economics predicted A*A*A*A*.
I know the latter sounds good and im really happy with them but i cant help myself from worrying that my 3 bad GCSE grades may hold me back due to the competitiveness of the course.
Is this likely to affect my application significantly or do you think I may still stand a valid chance?
Any help or input or stories of others with maybe similar issues and their outcome would be extremely appreciated!
Best of luck to everyone else applying this year!
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Uni’s don’t really bother about GCSE’s as much as A levels. You have amazing GCSE’s and A levels so it won’t matter. Also, your lower GCSE grades aren’t in maths so it should be fine. Make sure you have a good personal statement and mention all your other achievements as well. You’ll be fine, good luck!
TrotskyiteRebel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I disagree that unis don't bother about GCSEs. Some top unis care a great deal, because the competition is so high. Esp. Oxford does. At least that was the case back when I applied.
Either way, your grades are definitely very good and you should definitely apply. Pay very special attention to your personal statement as you're applying for LSE.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello! I've just applied to do a BSc Economics at LSE for 2020 start and i'm not gonna lie i'm worried already as most probably are lol as its kinda a big dream.
At GCSE I got 9999887AC54 with the C being graphics, 5 German and 4 short course RE rip.
One 9 was a year early for maths and in the following i got an A in my FSMQ (free-standing maths qualification - a level 2 qualification). For A levels I'm taking Maths, further maths, politics and economics predicted A*A*A*A*.
I know the latter sounds good and im really happy with them but i cant help myself from worrying that my 3 bad GCSE grades may hold me back due to the competitiveness of the course.
Is this likely to affect my application significantly or do you think I may still stand a valid chance?
Any help or input or stories of others with maybe similar issues and their outcome would be extremely appreciated!
Best of luck to everyone else applying this year!
Im a LSE student and I did considerably well in my A Levels compared to my GCSEs. I got 2A*s 4As and 6Bs for GCSEs, which are quite mediocre GCSE grades compared to what other LSE students got for their GCSEs. What Im trying to say is that they do not focus on your GCSEs. They check if you're predicted to get the grade requirements but also put tremendous focus on your personal statement.
So make sure you stand out in your personal statement! Write about things that would set us apart from the other students; which is crucial because most students applying to LSE probably are predicted to get all As and above (hence why they are inclined to apply to LSE), so it is futile to focus on how clever you are academically in your personal statement.
My personal statement was not solely revolved in my academic accomplishments; I also prioritised in discussing my hobbies/out-of-school activities that allowed me to showcase transferable skills and knowledge that tied to my degree.
Best wishes to all applicants!
TrotskyiteRebel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Im a LSE student and I did considerably well in my A Levels compared to my GCSEs. I got 2A*s 4As and 6Bs for GCSEs, which are quite mediocre GCSE grades compared to what other LSE students got for their GCSEs. What Im trying to say is that they do not focus on your GCSEs. They check if you're predicted to get the grade requirements but also put tremendous focus on your personal statement.
So make sure you stand out in your personal statement! Write about things that would set us apart from the other students; which is crucial because most students applying to LSE probably are predicted to get all As and above (hence why they are inclined to apply to LSE), so it is futile to focus on how clever you are academically in your personal statement.
My personal statement was not solely revolved in my academic accomplishments; I also prioritised in discussing my hobbies/out-of-school activities that allowed me to showcase transferable skills and knowledge that tied to my degree.
Best wishes to all applicants!
When you applied, did you have AS Level exams? That was the case back in my days. We applied with out AS results. Now with A levels being stand alone qualifications, the game might have changed :dontknow:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (62)
32.8%
Spring (35)
18.52%
Autumn/Fall (46)
24.34%
Winter (36)
19.05%
I love them all equally (10)
5.29%