Do you have the same religious views as your partner?

Watch
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Everybody knows religion can sometimes be a bit of a touchy subject. But how does religion play a part in your relationship - if it does at all? Are you religious? And if so, does your partner share the same beliefs as you or are they different? If they're different, has it affected your relationship? :question:

If you're not in a relationship, would you want your future partner to share your views too, or does it not bother you as much?

Spoiler:
Show

Please keep in mind this is merely a friendly discussion about religion within a loving relationship. If you'd like to have a debate about religion, head over to the debate forum! Thank you

Last edited by DrawTheLine; 9 months ago
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I believe in interfaith relationships and interfaith marriage.
I've never dated a guy with the same religious views.
I'm single, most ex-boyfriends were atheists who didn't make a big thing out of either religion or atheism.
I've been on dates with followers of buddhism, mormonism, sikhism, islam, non-trinitarian christianity, arius catholicism and the church of england.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'm not (and have never been) in a proper relationship atm, but I have in the past fallen deeply in love with women in different Christian denominations to my own (Roman Catholicism). It was quite an eye-opening experience. That said, I think (long-term) I'd find it quite difficult to be in a relationship with a non-Roman Catholic/high-church Anglican tbh. I guess if the woman in question didn't mind holy water and religious statues being all over the place, then it might work!
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
no, because my partner is non-existant. if they were a liberal minded religious person, I wouldn't mind.
Last edited by Obolinda; 9 months ago
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I have no partner.

if I did have one, we must share the same views on the important things or else I have no partner.
Galactic tears
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Leviathan1611)
I have no partner.

if I did have one, we must share the same views on the important things or else I have no partner.
Agree😊
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I had a Christian partner. Honestly, never again unless it's just Christian in name or tradition.

Even if they're a nice person and not an evil wicked person like that other unnamed one. If one is a strong Christian, at least a member of a popular branch, then they would have beliefs I strongly disagree with.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
My partner doesn't feel particularly strongly about religion and neither do I

I wouldn't rule out a relationship with someone who was religious, I'd respect their religion and try to understand as much about it as a could, but I wouldn't want to feel as though I was being pressured into doing into anything or following it myself
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 9 months ago
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Yes, mainly - we both generally have no religion. However I was brought up in a Christian family so, although I am agnostic/have no particular religion, I do still find myself having perhaps more traditional views or having a belief that there is something out there. But generally as we have no particular religion, we do not have any disagreements in that area
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (252)
39.75%
Take autumn exams (188)
29.65%
Look for a job (21)
3.31%
Consider an apprenticeship (25)
3.94%
Take a year out (110)
17.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (38)
5.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed