Parents booked a holiday during may half term Watch

AylinM
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m doing my A levels currently. Second year in English Lang, Art & Design, and first year in Psychology.
I have my English exams on 18th May & 2nd June.
My art is on the 31st may, and my psychology mock would be around june.
So my parents booked a one week holiday on the 21st may, so I am stressing out so much, because it leaves me with no time to prepare my art sketchbook, as well as prepare for my english and psychology exam. Is it a bad idea to go on holiday? Would i be okay if i bring revision materials? and did any of you go on holiday during exam season?
Hazzabear
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AylinM)
I’m doing my A levels currently. Second year in English Lang, Art & Design, and first year in Psychology.
So my parents booked a one week holiday on the 21st may, so I am stressing out so much, because it leaves me with no time to prepare my art sketchbook, as well as prepare for my english and psychology exam. Is it a bad idea to go on holiday? Would i be okay if i bring revision materials? and did any of you go on holiday during exam season?
You can bring all the materials you need on holiday. Does your family not know you have exams 10 days later?
AylinM
Rep:
?
will do, it’s just whether I’ll actually get much revision done whilst on holiday:/ & yeah they do, but they don’t understand how important they are (they aren’t from the UK, so they don’t really know how A-levels work)
Racsoix
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Certainly prioritise your A Levels before the holiday. Will your parents mind if you don't go? What kind of holiday is it? If you'll be sitting around relaxing a lot then you could probably take your revision materials. Did you not talk to your parents about this before they booked? Surely they know the stress you'll already be going through without a holiday, let alone with.

Obviously it's your call, but if you think the holiday would sacrifice your grades then I strongly advise you stay at home. There's always a chance that even if you take revision on holiday you may not actually do any, and you will certainly be less productive- nobody wants to work on holiday.
RichPiana
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Wake up early in the morning, spend a couple of hours on revision, then enjoy the rest of your day.
AylinM
Rep:
?
(Original post by Racsoix)
Certainly prioritise your A Levels before the holiday. Will your parents mind if you don't go? What kind of holiday is it? If you'll be sitting around relaxing a lot then you could probably take your revision materials. Did you not talk to your parents about this before they booked? Surely they know the stress you'll already be going through without a holiday, let alone with.

Obviously it's your call, but if you think the holiday would sacrifice your grades then I strongly advise you stay at home. There's always a chance that even if you take revision on holiday you may not actually do any, and you will certainly be less productive- nobody wants to work on holiday.
They told me about the dates yesterday & they said it was during a half term, but i completely forgot about exam season! So now, I tried convincing them to either cancel it or let me stay home and explaining to them that this is important, but they believe I have plenty of time to revise...
I do agree though, I doubt I’ll be productive on holiday.
helicopterparent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That's pants... Don't go.. Stay home and study
MrMusician95
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't go. Believe me, I learnt the hard way.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Maybe ask your teachers to contact your parents so they can explain the importance of the exams and why you shouldn't go on holiday, considering that you said your parents don't really understand them. I strongly advise against going on holiday in the May half term, as it is such a crucial time. You'll have the whole of the summer to go on holiday afterwards, so maybe say that your parents can go on the holiday, but you'll stay home because your education takes priority.
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you have to go on the holiday because your parents won’t let you stay home, I’d suggest taking your revision with you. Perhaps try and do the majority of your art before you go as you really don’t want to take all your art stuff to another country. English is mostly reading which you can easily do whilst lazing by the pool and no one will look twice. Perhaps set aside 3 hours a day to do your sit down revision. That could be an hour in the morning before your family wake up, an hour after lunch where you could use the excuse that it’s too hot and want some time inside, and an hour in the evening before bed. (I am just guessing your going to a hot place with a pool) I know it’s not much, but that’s what I would do if I was in your position. Don’t worry too much about psychology, it’s only a mock, prioritise your A Levels. From my experience, mocks are usually held the week or so after A Levels have finished, so you should have plenty of time after your holiday to revise. Good luck!
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They told me about the dates yesterday & they said it was during a half term, but i completely forgot about exam season! So now, I tried convincing them to either cancel it or let me stay home and explaining to them that this is important, but they believe I have plenty of time to revise...
I do agree though, I doubt I’ll be productive on holiday.
DO NOT go on holiday over half-term - what if flights are delayed and you miss exams?

Delay until July and go then - I can;t believe your parents didn't consult you ...
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
What do you normally do when on holiday with them?

If its lying on sunbeds around the pool then take your study work with you and use this time to revise while on holiday.

I know I would have been glad of a break like this before exams, eases the stress of the revision.
Callicious
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just don't go on holiday.
MathsMania
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
DON'T GO...
username4762440
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Depending on your holiday location and your art work project for your exam, maybe you could use the location as potential inspiration?
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would ask your parents to rebook the holiday for after your exams. Explain to them the importance, and that it won’t be a true holiday as you’ll be emotionally and physically busy and won’t be able to relax. I’m sorry for you, that’s a really awkward situation.
mpaprika
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I was hospitalised a week before exam season began, released two days before my first exam. I got an A* on that exam, and I got quite a few A*s overall which I won't brag about however, it is possible. I asked - begged my parents to give me my revision resources and I revised in a hospital bed. Wasn't very quiet because I was in the children's ward, however you can revise anywhere you are.
YaliaV
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I can’t believe how stupid/thoughtless parents can be...no offence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (260)
54.28%
18-20 years old (no) (62)
12.94%
20-25 years old (yes) (80)
16.7%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
1.88%
25-30 years old (yes) (25)
5.22%