The Student Room Group

Get ready Boy's and Girl's for a General Election

Guys give me you're prediction's on whats going to happen in British Politcs ?

Here's my guess

Queens speech ( Really the Dennis Skinner Speech but yeh ) - Monday 13th
EU Summit - Thursday and Friday
Jeremy Corbyn will motion a Vote of no Confidence in Boris Gov - Friday/Saturday
Vote of no confidence goes through - Saturday
General election in November 26th
Labour forms Government with a party and completes Brexit
Labour call a General election in 2020 after Referendum and win a solid majority
Reply 1
Looool you are way too ambitious. Labour will not win a solid majority as long as Corbyn is their leader, especially now with Sturgeon demanding a second referendum for Scotland.

She's as bad as those who are trying to stop brexit.
Reply 2
We leave the EU on 31st October 2019 with no deal.

- Philip Hammond's head explodes.
- There'll be calls for Boris Johnson to resign and he won't.
- Northern Ireland agrees to stay in the customs union, preventing a hard border
- There will be a general election which The Conservatives win by a landslide
- Labour is wiped out in the general election, leading to the resignation of Jeremy Corbyn
- New Labour is reborn
- The media stops scaremongering and now focuses on how successful and better off EU countries are
- A petition gets underway for a new referendum on rejoining the European Union
- There's a recession for a little while
- Nigel Farage resigns from The Brexit Party 1 year after Brexit (to make sure the job is done), leaving the party to wither away
- Scotland requests an independence referendum. The UK government sets a date for some time after 2025.
- Life pretty much goes on as normal, without all the talk about Brexit.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by GAMER12
Guys give me you're prediction's on whats going to happen in British Politcs ?

Here's my guess

Queens speech ( Really the Dennis Skinner Speech but yeh ) - Monday 13th
EU Summit - Thursday and Friday
Jeremy Corbyn will motion a Vote of no Confidence in Boris Gov - Friday/Saturday
Vote of no confidence goes through - Saturday
General election in November 26th
Labour forms Government with a party and completes Brexit
Labour call a General election in 2020 after Referendum and win a solid majority

A MoNC succeeding is highly unlikely given that it requires the 37 independents to succeed and most of those despise the Labour leadership.

It's more likely that Boris will simply lay his motion again on the 19th or 21st once parliament has backed the extension (assuming the current negotiations don't yield fruit) and both Lab and SNP will vote for it.

Original post by Pencil

- Northern Ireland agrees to stay in the customs union, preventing a hard border
- Labour is wiped out in the general election, leading to the resignation of Jeremy Corbyn
- New Labour is reborn
- The media stops scaremongering and now focuses on how successful and better off EU countries are
- Nigel Farage resigns from The Brexit Party 1 year after Brexit (to make sure the job is done), leaving the party to wither away
- Scotland requests an independence referendum. The UK government sets a date for some time after 2025.
- Life pretty much goes on as normal, without all the talk about Brexit.

I doubt that New Labour will be reborn just yet. Personally i am hoping for Thornbury or Abbot to be made Labour leader, Thornburry is a classist and arrogant woman who comes across as condescending and Abbot is just plain thick for a politician, not to mention racist to whites.
Original post by Rakas21
Abbot is just plain thick for a politician, not to mention racist to whites.

at least Private Education would be safe under big D ? no ?

:dontknow:
Got to be a troll...Even my most labour supporting friends are not predicting half of that.

There will be an election, but:

It wont' come after a corbyn goverment of national interest - that is impossible now, Lib dems have no reason to back it, the SNP want a referendum in return (electoral suciide if corbyn agrees) and the ex-tories won't support him.

Because of the above - there won't be a brexit referendum, before the election.

When there is an election, no polling shows or has ever showed labour walking to a big majority. The only chance this prediction will be true is if some freak event happens before then that radically changes how people think currently.
Reply 6
Original post by fallen_acorns
Got to be a troll...Even my most labour supporting friends are not predicting half of that.

There will be an election, but:

It wont' come after a corbyn goverment of national interest - that is impossible now, Lib dems have no reason to back it, the SNP want a referendum in return (electoral suciide if corbyn agrees) and the ex-tories won't support him.

Because of the above - there won't be a brexit referendum, before the election.

When there is an election, no polling shows or has ever showed labour walking to a big majority. The only chance this prediction will be true is if some freak event happens before then that radically changes how people think currently.

I never said Labour will get Majority Government in a November election . I meant they will get the highest number of seats in parliament and get to form a government first that will aim to deal with Brexit then another election will take place in 2020 and it will lead to a Labour Win ( Assuming Brexit is done and dusted ) .

If Labour really didn't stand a chance with Corbyn as leader than we would have taken the easy way out and place Laura piddock as the leader and use the cheap way to get a Labour Majority.
Original post by GAMER12
I never said Labour will get Majority Government in a November election . I meant they will get the highest number of seats in parliament and get to form a government first that will aim to deal with Brexit then another election will take place in 2020 and it will lead to a Labour Win ( Assuming Brexit is done and dusted ) .

If Labour really didn't stand a chance with Corbyn as leader than we would have taken the easy way out and place Laura piddock as the leader and use the cheap way to get a Labour Majority.

You (going to use you, as you refered to labour aw 'we') couldn't beat May, despite her being one of the most disasterous and least effective campaigners in recent history, with the leadership and ability to give speaches of a supply teacher.. who had the worst manifesto for a generation (said by her own party), refused to debate or speak in public and made multiple U-turns...How do you expect to beat boris? Who, despite all his flaws, can give a speach and gets people motivated to vote and follow him, and has history to suggest he is a far more skilled campaigner and sales-man than he is politican.

A few other things:

How do you plan on getting brexit done and dusted? Labours current plan draws laughter every week from the BBCs audiances as various MPs try and justify it... negotiating for 6 months, with a guarenteed referendum, and having your own MPs campaign against the deal you negotiated? The only thing making Boris look reasonably competant with brexit at the moment, is the Labour party.

As for the November election - your still off on the Polling, and entirely reliant on Farage's will. If he gets behind boris, then there is no chance for a 'remain aliance' you simply can't win with a split remain vote, against a unified leave vote. The only chance labour have is to hope Farage keeps campaigning and runs against the torries.

And lets say that the remain aliance does get over 50% of the votes. How do you form a coalition? The lib dems don't want it. Maybe you can convince them by promising a referendum, but they will still be hard-pushed because of how damaged they were the last time they entered a coalition. And the SNP? They want their own referendum, and if Corbyn gives that, the chances of him winning his majority in a 2020 election disapears... he would become instantly unelectable, if he can be viewed as responsible for scotlands indepedancne. Supporting remain, at the cost of loosing scotland? Its an unelectable position in 90% of the UK.

So you have a november result which relies on the will and whim of farage..
Then you have a coalition that is impossible to form..
Then you have a future election where somehow all the lib-dem voters shift to labour (not possible with Corbyn in charge.. he is the reason many of them vote Lib not Lab) and all the norther leave-labour voters stick with the party, even after it 'betrays' them.. (all what you would need for a majority).

Its not going to happen. Its a pipe dream of a labour supporter, and as much of a fantasy as tory voters thinking they are going to walk to a healthy majority under Boris' past charisma.
(edited 4 years ago)
Why have you used possessive apostrophes for 'Boy's and Girl's' .....?
[FULL COMPANY]
The election of 1800

[JEFFERSON]
Can we get back to politics?

[MADISON]
Please?

[JEFFERSON]
Yo. Every action has an equal, opposite reaction
John Adams **** the bed. I love the guy, but he’s in traction
Poor Alexander Hamilton? He is missing in action
So now I’m facing—

[JEFFERSON AND MADISON]
Aaron Burr!

[JEFFERSON]
With his own faction

[MADISON]
He’s very attractive in the North. New Yorkers like his chances

[JEFFERSON]
He’s not very forthcoming on any particular stances

[MADISON]
Ask him a question: it glances off, he obfuscates, he dances

[JEFFERSON]
And they say I’m a Francophile: at least they know I know where France is!

[MADISON]
Thomas that’s the problem, see, they see Burr as a less extreme you

[JEFFERSON]
Ha!

[MADISON]
You need to change course, a key endorsement might redeem you

[JEFFERSON]
Who did you have in mind?

[MADISON]
Don’t laugh

[JEFFERSON]
Who is it?

[MADISON]
You used to work on the same staff

[JEFFERSON]
Whaaaat

[MADISON]
It might be nice, it might be nice
To get Hamilton on your side

[JEFFERSON AND MADISON]
It might be nice, it might be nice
To get Hamilton on your side

[BURR & ENSEMBLE]
Talk less!
Burr!
Smile more!
Burr!
Don’t let ‘em know what you’re against or what you’re for!
Burr!
Shake hands with him!
Burr!
Charm her!
Burr!
It’s eighteen hundred, ladies, tell your husbands: vote for
Burr!

[MALE VOTER 1]
I don’t like Adams

[FEMALE VOTER 1]
Well, he’s gonna lose, that’s just defeatist

[MALE VOTER 1]
And Jefferson—

[TWO MEN VOTERS]
In love with France!

[FEMALE VOTER 1]
Yeah, he’s so elitist!

[TWO WOMEN]
I like that Aaron Burr!

[FEMALE VOTER 2]
I can’t believe we’re here with him!

[MALE VOTER 1]
He seems approachable…?

[MALE VOTER 2]
Like you could grab a beer with him!

[ENSEMBLE]
Dear Mr. Hamilton: your fellow Fedwralists would like to know how you’ll be voting

[HAMILTON]
It’s quiet uptown

[ENSEMBLE]
Dear Mr. Hamilton: John Adams doesn’t stand a chance, so who are you promoting?

[HAMILTON]
It’s quiet uptown

[MEN, WOMEN, & BOTH]
Jefferson or Burr?
Jefferson or Burr?
We know it’s lose-lose
Jefferson or Burr?
Jefferson or Burr?
But if you had to choose

[EVEN MORE VOTERS & MEN AND WOMEN]
Dear Mr. Hamilton: (Jefferson or Burr?)
John Adams doesn’t stand a chance so who are you promoting? (We know it’s lose-lose
Jefferson or Burr?)
But if you had to choose (But if you had to choose)

[HAMILTON]
Well, if it isn’t Aaron Burr. Sir!

[BURR]
Alexander!

[HAMILTON]
You’ve created quite a stir, sir!

[BURR]
I’m going door to door!

[HAMILTON]
You’re openly campaigning?

[BURR]
Sure!

[HAMILTON]
That’s new

[BURR]
Honestly, it’s kind of draining

[HAMILTON]
Burr—

[BURR]
Sir!

[HAMILTON]
Is there anything you wouldn’t do?

[BURR]
No. I’m chasing what I want
And you know what?

[HAMILTON]
What?

[BURR]
I learned that from you

[ENSEMBLE]
If you had to choose
If you had to choose

[MADISON]
It’s a tie!

[ENSEMBLE]
If you had to choose
If you had to choose

[JEFFERSON]
It’s up to the delegates!

[ENSEMBLE]
If you had to choose
If you had to choose

[JEFFERSON/MADISON]
It’s up to Hamilton!

[VOTERS & MADISON AND ENSEMBLE]
If you had to choose (Jefferson or Burr?)
If you had to choose
If you had to
Choose (Choose)
Choose (Choose)
Choose! (Choose!)

[HAMILTON]
Yo

[ENSEMBLE]
Oh!

[HAMILTON]
The people are asking to hear my voice

[ENSEMBLE]
Oh!

[HAMILTON]
For the country is facing a difficult choice

[ENSEMBLE]
Oh!

[HAMILTON]
And if you were to ask me who I’d promote—

[ENSEMBLE]
Oh!

[HAMILTON]
—Jefferson has my vote

[JEFFERSON/MADISON/ENSEMBLE]
Oh!

[HAMILTON]
I have never agreed with Jefferson once

Oh!

[HAMILTON]
We have fought on like seventy-five diff’rent fronts

Oh!

[HAMILTON]
But when all is said and all is done
Jefferson has beliefs. Burr has none

[ENSEMBLE]
Oooooooooooooh

[MADISON AND JEFFERSON]
Well, I’ll be damned
Well, I’ll be damned

[MADISON]
Hamilton’s on your side

[ENSEMBLE]
Well, I’ll be damned
Well, I’ll be damned

[JEFFERSON]
And?

[MADISON]
You won in a landslide

[BURR]
Congrats on a race well-run
I did give you a fight

[JEFFERSON]
Uh-huh

[BURR]
I look forward to our partnership

[JEFFERSON]
Our partnership?

[BURR]
As your vice-President

[JEFFERSON]
Ha. Yeah, right
You hear this guy? Man openly campaigns against me, talkin’ 'bout “I look forward to our partnership.”

[MADISON]
It is crazy that the guy who comes in second gets to be Vice President

[JEFFERSON]
Ooh!, you know what? We can change that. You know why?

[MADISON]
Why?

[JEFFERSON]
‘Coz I’m the President.

Hey, Burr, when you see Hamilton,
Thank him for the endorsement
The solid majority in 2020 isn't happening. After an election there will be proportional representation.
Original post by Pencil

- New Labour is reborn
- Life pretty much goes on as normal, without all the talk about Brexit

Points 7 & 8 excepted I cannot disagree with any of that.
Original post by returnmigrant
Why have you used possessive apostrophes for 'Boy's and Girl's' .....?

Oh Jesus, are you one of those apostrophe snobs? my wife's like that, I deliberately do them wrongly ( at least that's what I tell her ) to wind her up.
Apostrophe's' are like hieroglyphics' ' no one really understands the little ****ers.
Original post by ColinDent

Apostrophe's' are like hieroglyphics' ' no one really understands the little ****ers.

I think you'll find that other people have a slightly more intellectually advanced opinion of your laziness.
Original post by returnmigrant
I think you'll find that other people have a slightly more intellectually advanced opinion of your laziness.

Yes like my wife, numbers are more my thing.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ColinDent
Oh Jesus, are you one of those apostrophe snobs? my wife's like that, I deliberately do them wrongly ( at least that's what I tell her ) to wind her up.

May I point out that the Brexit capital of Britain (a subject on which the Guardian and Daily Mail are entirely agreed)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7322501/Boris-Johnson-visits-UKs-Brexit-capital-push-1-8bin-NHS-pledge.html
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/16/trip-london-lincolnshire-brexit-divide

is also the home of the Apostrophe Preservation Society

https://www.apostrophe.org.uk/index.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending