a667
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hi,
I'm just wondering what the most effective way of doing revision for languages. I have a french oral and writing test soon and would like to know so I'm not wasting my time doing revision that is not working,

A
Valansie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What revision method are you currently using/considering?
I suggest using flashcards for learning and remembering key vocabulary, it's always efficient if you use them with friends, but spending time on them on your own is equally efficient. With practicing your speaking, I think it's always best to literally read stuff out loud. Also, ask yourself the question; it helps your brain to make a clear connection and remember the answers better
Good luck!
Last edited by Valansie; 1 year ago
a667
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Valansie)
What revision method are you currently using/considering?
I suggest using flashcards for learning and remembering key vocabulary, it's always efficient if you use them with friends, but spending time on them on your own is equally efficient. With practicing your speaking, I think it's always best to literally read stuff out loud. Also, ask yourself the question; it helps your brain to make a clear connection and remember the answers better
Good luck!
Thank you that will really help with revising
pickup
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The crucial thing is little and often so 20 mins every day.

Continual relearning of vocabulary, irregular verbs, idiomatic phrases. This should really be done all year round.

Write down all the questions you can possibly imagine being asked in the oral under topic headings and write down at least 6 things you could say in reply - then look at them every day - yes every day. ( Ask a teacher, friend, older student to check what you think you know).

Try and include different tenses - so future, + future with je vais perfect, imperfect, conditional, future perfect , conditional perfect etc. present - you will get marks for each. Ditto learn idiomatic phrases, link words - a mon avis, enfin, d'abord, de temps en temps , puis, de plus en plus, etc. - all phrases you can fit into almost any oral/ written exam.

Do you have a vocabulary book you have built up over the years? or a text book with phrases, grammar examples in the back? If so learn them all. You should have a list of complex idiomatic phrases ready to insert in what you say /write. Your job in the exam is deciding how many of your special phrases you can squeeze in not wondering at the late stage what you can possibly write / say.

So she's asking me about holidays - what tense is she using? I must reply in that tense. I can use the phrases in the future tense about what I am going to do in Summer eg j'irai en Espagne render visite a mon ami... - in the conditional tense about what I would like to do - j'aimerais jouer au football, I can use my phrase in the past tenses about what I did etc...je suis alle a la plage...

Revision in languages is all about looking over your phrases one day , looking over another set the next day PLUS the ones you learnt the first day, then a 3rd set PLUS the ones you learnt the 1st and 2nd days etc so that by the time of the exams you have seen them scores of times.

Remember you have to say as much as you can. You will only get marks for what you say! ( or write.) Looking intelligent won't be enough. You must expand on your answers ie volunteer more comments. Answering the examiner's questions with one or two words will just not do. So she's asking whether you have a brother - don't just say oui or non. Say, oui j'en ai deux ( volunteer) , ils s'appellent Christophe et Martin ( pronounce the names in French).Christophe est tres grand et il etudie la chime car il veut etre pharmacien. Par contre Martin deteste la chimie mais joue a la guitare....

Get up early to look over your notes before you go to school/college. Just before you go into the exam look over your notes so everything is fresh in your memory.

All of the above also applies to the written exam. You should have prepared phrases, tenses, idioms you want to try and include and if necessary write them down as notes as soon as the exam starts so you don't forget to include them.

Finally keep away from your friends and their chatter before the exam. You should be concentrating on what you are going to say / write not mucking up your brain.

Bonne chance!

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads