The Student Room Group

Economics help needed

I dont understand where the $3.33 in the answer has come from and how it was calculated

QUESTION - Studies indicate that the price elasticity of demand for cigarettes is about 0.4. If a pack of
cigarettes currently costs $2 and the government wants to reduce smoking by 20 percent, by how
much should it increase the price?

ANSWER - With a price elasticity of demand of 0.4, reducing the quantity demanded of cigarettes by 20%
requires a 50% increase in price, because 20/50 = 0.4. With the price of cigarettes currently $2, this
would require an increase in the price to $3.33 a pack using the midpoint method (note that ($3.33
$2)/$2.67 = .50).
Original post by cacatnebun
I dont understand where the $3.33 in the answer has come from and how it was calculated

QUESTION - Studies indicate that the price elasticity of demand for cigarettes is about 0.4. If a pack of
cigarettes currently costs $2 and the government wants to reduce smoking by 20 percent, by how
much should it increase the price?

ANSWER - With a price elasticity of demand of 0.4, reducing the quantity demanded of cigarettes by 20%
requires a 50% increase in price, because 20/50 = 0.4. With the price of cigarettes currently $2, this
would require an increase in the price to $3.33 a pack using the midpoint method (note that ($3.33
$2)/$2.67 = .50).

Initially when I tried calculating using the formula %change in QD/%change in price, I kept getting $3.00 as the increased price. However, if you read the question again, just as the answer states, 20/50=0.4, so price SHOULD rise by 50%. But if you followed the midpoint formula to calculate price change(new price-old price/average price) using $3 as new price, $2 as old price and $2.5 as average price, the price change is of ONLY 0.4. For the price change to equate to 0.5, your equation should be, x-2/(x+2/2)=0.5 which solves out into x=$3.33.

Was this understandable? Would it make more sense if I wrote it out step by step a bit more clearly?
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest