Sustainability for Personal Statement when applying for BSc Econ? @ LSE, Durham etc.

Watch
dylanrana
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
I'm applying to LSE, Bristol, Durham, Warwick, Exeter/Bath, and I'm trying to plan out what I'd like to write about in my personal statement. The course I'm applying for at all of these institutions is BSc Economics, (L100 mostly)

Reading a few personal statements from applicants who were successful in getting a place in a few of these universities, I've seen most pick a 'theme' for their statement, focusing on an area of Economics that interests them, i.e poverty, the mathematical side of econ, financial economics etc.

I'm struggling on picking that area of Economics to focus on:

- I'd like to look at either sustainable development economics, and focusing on how economic policy can help balance the need for an economy to grow and the impact of economic growth on future generations, mainly the environmental impact of economic activity. I could link to work with our local youth climate movement and stuff like that.
- But, I could also take a public policy route for tackling modern poverty; something along those lines, perhaps looking at areas of poverty in the UK, the poverty trap and how it's all unfair.

Is it a good idea to focus on this area of Economics? Would Poverty or a Public Policy route make more sense? Also, my worry is that I might focus on theory too much and not show an interest in the mathematical side of econ? Should I focus on something more mathematical, or would mentioning statistics suffice?

My concern is, going down on a sustainability route, would that make sense as I'm not applying for an Sustainable Development with Econ course, I'm going for straight Econ. What would be the best way to avoid narrowing my PS?

Also, for bonus brownie points, do you know any useful texts for either areas of economics I could read and cite?

Thanks
Dylan
Last edited by dylanrana; 1 year ago
Albdaeni
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you applying for 2020?
dylanrana
Rep:
?
(Original post by Albdaeni)
Are you applying for 2020
Yes I am.
Albdaeni
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dylanrana)
Yes I am.
You have left it a bit late to get started. Usually, candidates applying to such Uni's have completed all the UCAS and started the personal statement in summer.
Anyway, you need to meet both 4000 characters and 47 lines. The idea of sustainability is very charming, but I would not put too much focus on just the environment, more so about sustainable economic growth, policies and sustainable differences in spending and saving also in trade. Linking to some kind of system in equilibrium. However, I would not go so much that path, but the poverty one. I cannot really tell you what to do as this is your personal statement. But, you must bring maths in. Additionally, do not be that person that wastes lines saying they know some theory or concept, but HOW you know it and HOW you can APPLY it CONSICLY. This is not a dissertation and the smartest candidates usually demonstrate this with great passion.

Last advice, you have a lot of work to do and books to put in that makes sense.
dylanrana
Rep:
?
(Original post by Albdaeni)
You have left it a bit late to get started. Usually, candidates applying to such Uni's have completed all the UCAS and started the personal statement in summer.
Anyway, you need to meet both 4000 characters and 47 lines. The idea of sustainability is very charming, but I would not put too much focus on just the environment, more so about sustainable economic growth, policies and sustainable differences in spending and saving also in trade. Linking to some kind of system in equilibrium. However, I would not go so much that path, but the poverty one. I cannot really tell you what to do as this is your personal statement. But, you must bring maths in. Additionally, do not be that person that wastes lines saying they know some theory or concept, but HOW you know it and HOW you can APPLY it CONSICLY. This is not a dissertation and the smartest candidates usually demonstrate this with great passion.

Last advice, you have a lot of work to do and books to put in that makes sense.
Hi,
Thanks for replying. Do you know of any texts that could be useful for sustainable economic growth, and the other areas you've mentioned? And bringing maths in, what would be the best way to do that?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.93%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.08%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.88%

Watched Threads